Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all

I am in the process of resurecting an 83 1100 which in some respects has been a bit 'butchered', as a result some of the nuts have seen better days (like the oil filter bolt which was rounded off and required grinding off, to get a new oil filter in with a new bolt) and while I find most of my metric bolts fit every time when I try to use a metric nut it gets a couple of turns and then locks solid

Is there some special thread on these bikes:?

Are the captive bolts such as the ones holding the footpegs on possibly american thread (AF?)

Help!!!!

Regards Rob

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

re built my 1980 goldie and re cut most of the threads with a tap and die set even the frame points on painting. no special threads found.

Do I understand that the oil filter bolt is the one causing the problem with locking after several turns?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply

No the oil filter bolt has been replaced with a new one today, I just had to grind the head off the old one to allow its removal as I couldn't get anything to grip the rounded head

Its studs like the ones holding the front footpegs on that are causing trouble with the nuts all 'chewed' up

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
imported post

I've touched my '80 from front to rear and found no special threads. Not even one reverse threaded bolt or nut (that I remember). I hate to say it, but you might have to cut and drill that boltto get the oil filter and filter housing off of the bike. After doing that you can reach the bolt better and probably find a way to get it out. Not to insult you, but you are turning it counterclockwise aren't you?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

If you can get the nuts off take a file and cut the inside of the threads and it will act asa thread die. That will help clean up the threads.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Read his posts again, he's not having problems with the threads for the oil filter bolt, he's got that out already and replaced it.

Most of the time I find messed up threads on a metric bike is when some one has tried to use a SAE threaded bolt or nut in place of the metric part.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

I was referring to the footpegs studs.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Read his posts again, he's not having problems with the threads for the oil filter bolt, he's got that out already and replaced it.
Deep Breath . . . . . The third and fourth posts hit at the exact same time.

·
Administrator
26,551 Posts
imported post

The Japanese use a finer thread than most, a 10mm stud will have 1.25 threads where domestic US and europeans usually use a 1.5 thread on that size. The other smaller sizes like 6 and 8 mm are normally the same as everyone else.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

there is a differance between asian and europan threade pitches and useage . but its still MM . use thread pitch gage if in doutht.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
imported post

A 1/4 SAE bolt is very close to the same diameter as an M6 mm. The threads looks the same with the naked eye but the metric bolt's threads are slightly finer. You can get one to thread into the others nut but both will seize up after only a round or two. I suspect the bolt is SAE if the nut will start but won't screw on freely.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:

This would explain whats going wrong all my nut kits are standard european

Thanks for that will get hold of a thread pitch gauge
The Japanese use a finer thread than most, a 10mm stud will have 1.25 threads where domestic US and europeans usually use a 1.5 thread on that size. The other smaller sizes like 6 and 8 mm are normally the same as everyone else.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Bo wrote:
Unforunately its not the threads thats the problem its the nuts that are shot and all the nut kits I had were the wrong thread
it may be Dave0430 has hit the nail on the head
If you can get the nuts off take a file and cut the inside of the threads and it will act asa thread die. That will help clean up the threads.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

trick was to put vise grips on the big washer inside the stupid small nut would come of easy.i put the oil filter from a 80 gl1100 chromed 17 mm

miroku800 wrote:
Thanks for the reply

No the oil filter bolt has been replaced with a new one today, I just had to grind the head off the old one to allow its removal as I couldn't get anything to grip the rounded head

Its studs like the ones holding the front footpegs on that are causing trouble with the nuts all 'chewed' up

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

nothing odd about the bolts or nuts on Wings, they should all be standard metric.

Something is going wrong for you miroku800, either you have been given wrong sized nuts and bolts or the previous owner has used something else?:?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Got it sorted
The earlier post was correct and it was the thread pitch
My packs of nuts state pitch of 1.5 whereas the ones I bought today stated pitch of 1.25

many thanks for all the answers

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A thread gauge is inexpensive and very useful, one can prevent mistakes that damage studs, bolts and nuts. As for thead chasing on a 'Wing you only need about four different taps and dies to cover most of the fasteners. Before using any tap or die it's always best to double check that you're using the right thread. There's few things nastier to work on than a machine that's been worked on by a butcher who substitues metric and SAE parts at whim.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
There's few things nastier to work on than a machine that's been worked on by a butcher who substitues metric and SAE parts at whim.
That is a fact!!! Not to mention having to ferret about in a tool box, just to find the right sized spanners to get them undone!!!:(:X

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

I also keep a small metric tap and die set in my box on the older bikes it helps to chase the threads most of the time, it cleans them up and removes nicks and burrs from the thread.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

mainwiz3 wrote:
I also keep a small metric tap and die set in my box on the older bikes it helps to chase the threads most of the time, it cleans them up and removes nicks and burrs from the thread.
Good tip!!:clapper:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.