Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey guys i have a gl 1100 1980 and i was wondering what kind of oil i should use not real expensive but i want something good wasnt sure if u could use regular old car oil if there was something specific sorry for the dumb ? and also i was curious if someone would tell me how much i should ask for a exhaust from a gl 1100 1981 thats in nice condition any help would much appreciated thanks

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Oh no, not again :shock::action:

You're gonna get a lot of responses, all different, good luck :ROFL:

Here's the first, I use the Honda stuff, not that expensive surprisingly... and now for the fun to begin.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

man even tho these kind of question/threads get started they are old and annoying but the man has a simple question

they sure are fun to see all the responses someone giving the chemical balance of every oil and additave will chime in

i just use delvac 15w40 diesel motor oil

oil is oil brands dont matter just buy a qt and shove it in there

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Delo 400 15W40 - it's high-grade "Big Truck" diesel oil.

Don't look for the clutch-locking, flame-throwing, tire-smoking unapproved seal, 'cause you won't find one.;)

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

Re: the exhaust, I just paid $200 for exhaust from an '82 in nice shape.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

A lot of folks here run Delo 400, including myself. Shifting is smoother and it holds up better than most, not to mention it's also cheaper than most.

The first time I put it in, it was a noticeable difference right out of the driveway. After a long trip (1000 miles round trip), it smoked on start up for about 4 or 5 days, but then cleared up and ran great again. It will still do that from time to time, but not to bad. I take it as it's doing it's job. On my third oil change with it and like it so far.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

castrol GTX 20/50 here year round.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

Anything non-energy conserving in at least a 10/40. I am also one of the Delo/Delvac users 9 months of the year.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

10W-40 name brand or house brand (wally world, advance etc)

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

+1 on avoiding "friction fighters" or "energy conserving." Look for the round SAE seal. If the lower semi-circle is blank, that oil will work. The issue is the "wet clutch" on a wing. Since the clutch is bathed in engine oil, you don't want TOO much slipperyness!

15w40 is a good weight. If you find your starter doesn't kick in right away during cold weather, switch to 10w30 until the weather warms up.

Let the bashing begin!
:popcorn:

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

^
No bashing - I run 10/30 in the meat of winter, the 15/40 the rest of the year. Honda did not include that weight (10/30) during certain temp ranges because they wanted to make a thicker operator manual.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

I use AMSOIL 10W40 Motorcycle oil with 10% Lucas Oil Treatment. I use this year round.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I run the 15W40 year 'round in my daily-ridden '78 'Wing.

No starter issues, no cold weather issues. My bike is in excellent condition.

Been down to -2F and colder is coming.

Viscosity ratings (cold, hot and all in-between) are for the uninformed masses at-large who need some sort of guideance in choosing the myarid of oils avaialable out there. There is some absolute truth to it, so don't beat me up just yet. Marketers have their reasons, as do the CYA Insurers tied to the Manufactures. Much of it is a witches-brew in a caldron of fear and ignorance.

My engine talks to me. And it's saying that all this switching around is unnecssary. How do I know beyond reasonable doubt? > My oil analysis tells me so.

I'm near 4K miles on my last DELO 400 oil-change right now. I've a while to go before I do it again.

Having a sample of your used motor oil analyzed at each change interval will tell the tale of fact without conjecture for $20 a pop. Worth it in my world. Nothing like a undeniable record of usage, wear and tear, and what is of benefit and what is not.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

aclonghurst91 wrote:
hey guys i have a gl 1100 1980 and i was wondering what kind of oil i should use not real expensive but i want something good wasnt sure if u could use regular old car oil if there was something specific sorry for the dumb ? and also i was curious if someone would tell me how much i should ask for a exhaust from a gl 1100 1981 thats in nice condition any help would much appreciated thanks
Crisco has always done me well for Wings, also for taters and fish :ROFL:

Rottela or Delo 400 diesel oils may be cheaper oil though and some/most would say better.
My Wings are doing fine with Delo but the fish tastes odd :ROFL:

I think you should ask about $10 for the exhaust. I can afford that.
You could maybe get allot more, but $10 and consider it sold LOL

Sorry, I am just in a fun mood. Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

HyperPete wrote:
Re: the exhaust, I just paid $200 for exhaust from an '82 in nice shape.
YIKES!

If you need one for an 86 Interstate 1200 give me a yell! LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.