Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
New Sidecar guy
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this '98 GW sidecar rig. The PO said he did not look at the tires in his 5 years of ownership. I knew it would need tires as the tread was thin.

Low and behold when I got it home and looked for the date code I see (2405).

So here's the question. Since I am going to assume that the wheels have not been off in the 14 years of the tires life what can I expect to replace when I get the wheels off?

Bike has only 40K on the odometer.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Get some good moly paste for the final drive splines. Honda has M77 but you can use any paste that has at least 60% molybdenum in it. You do not want to use grease here. This is a good time to put nickel 90 degree valve stems on and clean/polish the wheel. Take a peek at your shock bushings also. Take a gander up at your rear fender and see if there is any rubbing taking place. This will tell you if you need to replace or stiffen your shocks. And last but not least, check the brake pads. I'm assuming you were going to replace all the fluids and filters so I shant mention it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Might be a good time to consider timing belts, too.

·
New Sidecar guy
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get some good moly paste for the final drive splines. Honda has M77 but you can use any paste that has at least 60% molybdenum in it. You do not want to use grease here. This is a good time to put nickel 90 degree valve stems on and clean/polish the wheel. Take a peek at your shock bushings also. Take a gander up at your rear fender and see if there is any rubbing taking place. This will tell you if you need to replace or stiffen your shocks. And last but not least, check the brake pads. I'm assuming you were going to replace all the fluids and filters so I shant mention it.
Good idea on the shock bushings. I still have the tube of Honda Moly paste that I bought when I got my Valkyrie in '99.

What else does this GW have in common with my Valk IS? 3 O-Rings? Dampers in the rear wheel?
Honda says check Timing belts at 100K. I changed the belts on my IS at 73K and they looked like new.

Finally who is the best for online parts ordering?

·
Administrator
24,391 Posts
Honda says check Timing belts at 100K. I changed the belts on my IS at 73K and they looked like new.
That's fine if you want to gamble your engine on 21 year old belts. You're not taking that chance with the tires.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,185 Posts
That's fine if you want to gamble your engine on 21 year old belts. You're not taking that chance with the tires.

Why did I expect a response just like that?

It's always a good idea to change out your belts! :|

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I got a couple of belts in my shop off different cars that look fine except they make a line instead of a circle. Age is the greater enemy. They dry rot like tires then break with no warning. The risk to reward issue is just too high not to change them at a closer interval.

·
New Sidecar guy
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just about everyone that changes the belts say they look fine, but rubber deteriorate, they may look fine but they really are not fine.
Everyone says that but I have yet to see any one show proof.

·
New Sidecar guy
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a couple of belts in my shop off different cars that look fine except they make a line instead of a circle. Age is the greater enemy. They dry rot like tires then break with no warning. The risk to reward issue is just too high not to change them at a closer interval.
How many miles on your '99 and when did you change the belts?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Odd that Honda doesn't have a schedule for replacing the timing belts. I recommend replacing every 5 years or 50000 miles. Have seen the damage a broken belt will cause. Like bent valves and even a broken piston.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts

No one is forcing you to replace your belts. You can run them just as long as you want to. All we are pointing out is that they can and do break and if they do there will be engine damage, possibly a holded piston.
My buddy bought a GL1000 new and had it about two years when one day he was riding down the road running around 70 mph when he heard this terrible noise coming from the engine and a sudden loss of power. Upon inspection he found that the right side had broken the timing belt. When he pulled the head he found the pistons were banging into the valves on that side. He smoothed up the piston tops where the valves had beat on them then he replaced the bent valves and put it back together and rode that sucker. He had it several more years before he traded for another bike and never had any more trouble with it. We have no idea why the timing belt broke, especially with it still being a fairly new bike. That is the only one I have ever known of personally that had a belt break. Not common but it can happen.
So, if you feel lucky, just run them as long as you like.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Your bike your choice 19 or 20 year old Rubber Belts might look good if you can replace them yourself cheap insurance. about $300.00 at Honda Dealer done in a couple of hours or wait until the Belts Break Approximately $3,000 to $4,000 for an Engine Rebuild or replacement at a Dealership possibly more or cheaper if you can do it yourself. Or just buy another bike $$$$ it's your money and if the belt breaks and locks up the motor at 70 MPH could be disasterous

·
Administrator
24,391 Posts
Doesn't happen often but we get reports once in a while of a belt breaking. I was a mechanic for most of my life and saw quite a few. We'll let you see how long they will last if you need proof.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Quote: "What else does this GW have in common with my Valk IS? 3 O-Rings? Dampers in the rear wheel?
Honda says check Timing belts at 100K. I changed the belts on my IS at 73K and they looked like new."

Yes the three O rings and dampers are there in the same way as the Valk.

With regard to the belts I have seen many posts over the years on this forum and others, mainly from new owners to a bike, asking whether the belts should be changed as the mileage is low but the bike is old. For me, the answer is always the same...change the belts. When I've had a new to me bike I figured the peace of mind of knowing the belts are new is far better than trying to convince myself they don't need doing yet.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts

I didn't save my old belts from tears back nut when II changed them on my 02 and my buddy changed them on his 05 they looked good, couldn't even see any cracks. maybe the next person who changes their belts or someone that cghamg3ed them recently can post pictures of them..

·
Administrator
24,391 Posts
I didn't save my old belts from tears back nut when II changed them on my 02 and my buddy changed them on his 05 they looked good, couldn't even see any cracks. maybe the next person who changes their belts or someone that cghamg3ed them recently can post pictures of them..
02 & 05 what? Gl1800s don't have belts.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts