Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this part is. I tried to look up the part number stamped on it and nothing came up. Is it a relay for something?

The location is under the seat on the left side coming off a main wire loom.

Two wires go to it and they are dark green with red stripe and light green with red stripe.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

A relay would have more wires. My guess is a diode. :smallpopcorn:

JD

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

That is the clutch switch diode for the start system.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Oh. Thank You.

So what does a diode do?

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Dave0430 is correct. It's a diode. On my earlier ones they actually had a white silk screened diode symbol on the side of them depending on which manufacturer Honda bought them from that particular year. It has a green/red wire in the anode end and a light green/red wire on the other, cathode end. This is the truth. The radiator fan on my brother's bike quit working. My brother put a direct line to his radiator fan from the battery with a switch between. He'd open the tank lid and switch it when in heavy traffic and always forget to turn it off later. He blamed it on a bad thermal sensor and just switched it by hand. I wasn't involved. I worked on that bike for several years. Then he gave me the dammed thing. The first thing I did was to disassemble the thing and address issues. First being that the radiator fan had stopped working. I downloaded a print and found an AGC 10A fuse under the seat. Blown. Not overloaded but simply had failed. I replaced the fuse and removed all that extra wiring. Funny, I've owned and ridden Goldwings for going on fifteen years. I've never dared to start one while in gear and holding the clutch, but I did today and it was fine. I said to myself "Damn! That was easy!"
I suppose that's a leftover from previous bikes.

Starting the old bikes in gear could look funny as hell if you were watching it. Starting them in gear with the clutch in was impossible.
That diode and the engine's design makes it possible.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

freddyboy wrote:
.....So what does a diode do?
The best way to decribe it is a device that only lets current travel through it in one direction (stops back-feeding ofpower).

Bill

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,193 Posts
imported post

Think of it as a "flapper valve" like in a water hydrant.

It will allow the flow of water (current) outward, but blocks the reverse flow (siphon effect).

Pure analogy but serves the purpose.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well thanks guys!

I enjoy learning about stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.