Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I first got my 1980 Wing, I changed the front wheel (Rim) and tire. The wheel I took off says the size is 2.15, which takes a 100x19x19, according to Dunlop's web site.
A Normal 1980 Gl1100 Has a 2.50 Wheel (Rim), with a 110x19x19 tire. I don't know what size I took off of my parts bike and put it on that I am currently using now, because I figured the size was the same.
The 2.15 wheel and tire That come on it that I changed looks really good with no tred wear whatsoever, but had some small sidewall cracks, about 1/16 or smaller, so I changed it out, because it was not worth injury or worse.
I am going to check the other Wheel (Rim) size and Tire that I am currently running tommorrow, because there is a .75' difference in size, and I am going to buy a new one.
Has anyone else ever notice the Wheel Size they re running on their 1980 GL1100? I am glad I remembered this before I ordered it. The rear tire is new, (Thank You Nightwizard40 for changing it for me) and I want to go ahead and get a new one on the front and broken in.
Thanks,
Nightrider1

·
Administrator
26,148 Posts
imported post

I would use the wider rim and the 110/90/19 myself. That would help correct the speedometer error we all know it has. That's the size I put on my 81.
That's a .35 width difference BTW, not .75

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Both of my rims say 2.15, And the front tire and wheel I took off of my parts bike is a 2.15 also, so I guess I will have to go with a 100x90x19. I do not believe the 110x90x19 tire would fit properly on these rims.
I was able to able to save a little last month, and some this month, and the tire is only around $60.00, plus 10.00 shipping. I am going to wait to the end of Febuary before I order one, in case something unexpected comes up. I hope I can have it put on in March. Besides, I have some things to do that will hopefully improve my Wing before I do that. Some are below., and I need some advice on one or both.
One is to set my Faring Brace better, or Drill through the Faring and Wing Frame, and bolt it down to help keep it from sliding down at least once or twice a year. Has anyone done this? Would it be safe? It slides down around 1 inch every 6 months, roughly. Is there another way to stableize it other than this?
I am also going to remove the Trailor hitch, because it is so heavy, (Around 50 + Lbs) and it lowers my Wing about 3 inches, and puts more stress on my rear shocks, and I should also save a few dollars on my fuel mileage.
Thank You,
Sincerley,
David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.