Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello!.... I have a 2012 White Goldwing with approx. 1,800 miles on it.. I wantto be sure the sounds it makes are normal to most wings... A little whine until I get into 5th gear and a little "Clunk / or Clank when changing gears, especially between 1st and 2nd or from 2nd back to 1st.. Nothing really alarming, but would be willing to change oil if necessary to be a little quieter. But, as I said, it may be just the same as most all wings... Just trying to be careful with my investment.. Any thoughts??.............RIDE SAFE!!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
imported post

my 2001 wing which also has like a 137,000 more miles than yours and is not a whole lot different makes similar sounds and has all the time I've owned it ..all bikes make noise just need to get used to there particular sounds ..you will most likely find like me that the only time you notice them is when there is a change... if it's a major concern have a dealer mechanic take a look most likely he will say sounds like a Goldwing to me

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Mine sounds like a singer sewing machine.

I change oil between 2 and 3,000 miles and shifting is better, but with that said, shifting has always been what I would call clunky or clicky.

·
Administrator
28,065 Posts
imported post

Sounds like an 1800. Change the oil to Rotella T5 10/30 (grey jug), best results I have had with shifting. The 15/40 heavy duty oils most use in their wings make the shifting rougher.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

Mine has all ways made a tapping sound when under a load, and makes the same cnulky sound when shifting. It's a Wing.I think the tapping sound is the injectors.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Hello!.... I have a 2012 White Goldwing with approx. 1,800 miles on it.. I wantto be sure the sounds it makes are normal to most wings... A little whine until I get into 5th gear and a little "Clunk / or Clank when changing gears, especially between 1st and 2nd or from 2nd back to 1st.. Nothing really alarming, but would be willing to change oil if necessary to be a little quieter. But, as I said, it may be just the same as most all wings... Just trying to be careful with my investment.. Any thoughts??.............RIDE SAFE!!
I also have a 2012 GW and you pretty much described how mine sounds. Ride the heck out of it and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,273 Posts
Mine sounds like a begger. Ride me, Please.. Ride me come on ride me. you know you want to go. And yep it wins. We go for a ride.

·
650 Posts
i also have a 2012 white wing i have put 9500 miles on it the sound of the motor is very quite the shifting clunk has always been there sometimes louder then others the noise is a little sofeter when u change oil but lasts only a few hundred miles i use 10w40 spectro syn. runs very smooth have fun ride safe

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
I was stopped at traffic lights next to a guy in a convertible. He asked if my bike always made that noise -I suppose he was refering to the sewing machine noise of the timing chain...

·
Ornery Old Cuss
308 Posts
Mine usually makes sounds of Singer/Songwriter Americana artists. Occasionally it make the sound of Bluegrass. At rare times it will sound like a blusey Jazz orchestra. :)

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
The GL1100 standard is super quiet at anything over 10 mph, and there is only a slight bark from the exhaust, kind of like a CB750 K0 or K1 with the baffles in, but even queiter. On a small windshield standard, you aren't going to hear any whine, or anything else, really, of note. A little bit of whine, actually welcome, since there may be nothing else but the whistling wind.

On a GL1500, I hear the intake moan most of all, and at certain speeds and gears, the straight cut tranny (helical and the quietest in 5th) and the primary chain whine, but it is not a bad sound at all. Much more than the 1100 std though, resonating through the fairing up to to the rider, behind that great windshield.

Sometimes I think the next big wing ought to be a scaled up GL1100 std, and maybe a RK version with bags only and windshield, and then another with it all. But a big boxer four, rigid mounted, with removable baffles like the old CB 750 K0.

·
Madman at Large
18 Posts
I've noticed that running a good synthetic blend oil makes the gear clunk seem less noisy. My 1200 always sounded a little like the valves were loose, but after 72,000 miles it sounded the same as it ever did.

Just like a woman, they all have their own distinctive purr.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
Lots of clicks and ticks, that is probably what you are wondering about.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
My 1500 has a deep throaty sweet sound, product of my after market exhaust.

Keep on Winging

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
My 1500's whine a little.
Mostly when sitting next to a Hummer,
Kinda Chuckle a bit when next to a compact or Neon
And both 1500 and I just laugh like he!! when we pull up next to a Smart Car LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.