Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi

Just wondering what spare parts you keep at home for "just in case" ?

So far I have :-

Down pipes
Expansion box
some electrical relays
vacum solenoids
spare switch gear.
set of nuts / bolts (complete ish)
tacho
speedo
fuses,
light bulbs
rear wheel (just had too it was cheap)
rear diff (as above)
drive shaft
fans
alternator
fuel pepcock

Thinking about
starter & starter solenoid

What do you keep ?

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I have a spare alternator, starter motor, carbs, collector box, dash instruments, forks, front wheel, trunk lid, windshield, a pile of relays and other bits. I got most of them cheap off a crashed 1500.
The trouble with keeping all that stuff and not using it, is that I end up giving much of it away to friends when they need parts.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

In keeping an older 1980-1100, I have no parts as spare, instead I do keep a good set of tools, a grinding wheel and of course the manual. From the rebuild to now I've been fortunate in making the bike as if it's 1980 now. No parts were used or harmed during the re-making process, just a lot of time and re-work. A testament to the Honda Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

for my 1980 1100 seince parts are kinda hard to find and i dont like paying top dollar for new parts

i have 3 1100's 1 1980, and 2 1981's

all are untitled bout at a scrap yard no plastics on them tho, but all the electrical parts are good so far and i have tons of spare parts so when i need them i have them i've stripped all the electrial parts off of them and they are sitting in plastic tubs in my dad's garage away from the mice

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
for my 1980 1100 seince parts are kinda hard to find and i dont like paying top dollar for new parts
Agree as I see items on ebay at a good price I buy them, problem is for me most of it is on wrong side of pond so have to pay high shipping charges.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

sorry guys i dont really sell or give away my parts i name them all and i just couldnt part with any of them lol

most of the parts i got are junk really well junk to someone treasure to me if i find some more 1100s i'll be sure to letcha know ive turned down 3 or 4 more 1100's people just want to get rid of i just dont have the space for more stuff

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Parts are usually hard to come by where I live. Whatever I happen upon I will keep. Most poster agree rear wheels are WAY cheap right not, no reason NOT to find and keep one. Its makes it nice when you go to put a new one on too.

I will pick things up on Fleabay when its a real deal too, just for future possibilites.

I plan on keeping this Wing for a long though.:action:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I like to keep one of these around... that way if something goes wrong with the wing, I can take the gremlin bell off and drive a new part under it!

Problem solved! It's a 1998 Honda part #: GL1500C

"There are roads and roads, they call can't you hear it!"

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Does the "C"

Stand for

custom
Chrome
Cool

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
i have a spare front and rear wheel with tires already mounted a nessity in my opinion
Glad its not just me that collects items.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

The "C" stands for Crusier...

The Valkyries came in three classes:

GL1500C: Standard...
GL1500CT: Tourer...
GL1500IS: Interstate...

Mine is a Standard with very nice aftermarket bags and a tourer windshield added as a dealer option.

But I will admit that it is awfully Cool...

Keep one of these around and it makes having the wing break down almost tolerable.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

lol robin thats funny id rather just install the tire assembly in about 20 minutes rather than 2 or 3 hours

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
and expensive
Not really... I think you'd be surprised.

The Standards and Tourers are really quite simple in comparison with the Wing...

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I have many spares, and I try get the hard to findexpensive parts cheep from ebay.

Starter, ECMs, rotors, carb, ignitions coils & wires, radiator y hose,electric fan motors, and many others.

In never could acquire an alternator . And of course,it went out, and I had to buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I keep Loctite, and epoxy for plastic,Seafoam, electronic cleaner, and zip ties. I do have a box full of inherited 1500 stuff. My buddies who now have 1800's, give me thier stash of 1500 stuff. jimsjinx

·
Administrator
58,420 Posts
imported post

I bought a fresh set of spark plugs. Keep a set of battery jumpers, a $3.00 DVM, some fuses, gas inline filter, Sea Foam, tool kit, GPS, ancient radar detector, Frogg Toggs, 1st Aid Kit, Bomber Jacket (cold wx areas), truckers road atlas for flight planning, gobs of Velcro Straps and stretch bungy cords.

PM the bike every year to take care of the "what IFs", and that is it.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
I have a spare alternator, starter motor, carbs, collector box, dash instruments, forks, front wheel, trunk lid, windshield, a pile of relays and other bits. I got most of them cheap off a crashed 1500.
The trouble with keeping all that stuff and not using it, is that I end up giving much of it away to friends when they need parts.
Same here......

I've dropped back to spare wheels, brake pads, rotors, windshield, forks, alternator, wheel bearings, and stock seat and matching back rest.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.