Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

well my dad and i went to look at some old goldwings today price was worth the look craigslist ad said 300-500 bucks for 2 1980 gl1100's that were all taken apart ect just a hobbies who lost intrest

well we drove to take a lookie loo, and it had the boxes, ferring all in decent shape not great, decent

the one bike was in boxes the other was just sitting there with wires cut, the guy swears it runs then he says i need at least 1,000 for the lot and he swears that that one runs tho we couldnt get it to start he tried for 30 minutes and all it did was crank didnt even fire

anyway i told him there is no way im spending 1,000 for tore apart 31yr old machines for 1,000 they better be put back together and at least run

guy got really really mad but i was just saying the truth looking at old bikes is like looking at old cars i saw wires cut, chords dangeling, stuff just trown in a box not even the least bit organized, told him how do i know that all the parts are in the boxes, i told him 200bucks and i'll take it all off your hands

total waste of my time this is the 5th time ive been taken for a ride of my time and people trying to take advantage of me with old goldwings they just think they are GOLD and i tell them its 30yrs old and not running no way no way would i spend that kinda moola

my dad and i agree that were gonna get me a newer bike probably not a goldwing but still something in the 2001 or newer im just really tired of people thinking that these 1980ish bikes are worth 1,000 dolars sitting in a box, not running but "they swear" the only people i take on their words are me, my wife, my dad, and my inlaws those are the only people i would trust in this world

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

so... the ad said 300 - 500 bucks and when you got there the guy wanted $1000.?
yeah, that would tick me off too.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks michigan..... i needed that hug

i do feel better now i dont own a punching bag but god im glad u guys are around lol

"your my emotional punching bag" he he he

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

dont blame you PB, theres a lot of that mentality around here with the older wings for some reason...when we looked back in summer of 2010 i found 2 1100's that barely ran for over 2k!! Some people are just idiots...

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

A couple of years agoI saw a 1200 for sale on ebay and since it wasn't too far away i asked if I could see it before bidding. Given the OK I went to see this "Good condition" bike. Starting bid was $1500 IIRC. The listing only showed one picture from the right front and I knew from the colour it was a repaint.

In real life the bike was missing the battery cover, the expensive one. The paint was a chipped and scratched rattle can job. The tires were worn to the cords. The mufflers were shot as were the brakes. All of the chrome was either rusted or pitted. The seat was upholstered in duct tape. Hacked up wiring could be seen through missing dash fillers.

It wasn't even a good parts bike. The owners young son was hanging around so I bit my tongue as I didn't want to slam the father in front of his kid.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Don't blame you PB. It was a listing on Craigs List for an RV that made me change my mind and get my wing.

This guy had a motor home advertised for sale with the engine rebuilt and transmission replaced with a factory original.

When we get there, it's a really old motor home with 119,000 miles, engine was rebuilt 80000 miles ago and tranny was replaced under warranty at 12,0000 miles. I showed the guy a wad of cash and said that I was ready, but before we make the deal, we gotta go for a drive, told the wife to follow us in my truck. The thing ran like crap and could barely move but I made him put about 200 miles on that thing before it came to a dead stop, engine just couldn't go any farther. I got out and said well..... I guess you won't be selling this, at least not advertised with a rebuilt motor and tranny........ He was pissed that I wasted his time..... I told him thats what he gets for misrepresenting what he was selling.

So I took that wad of cash and bought my Gold Wing.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

and my inlaws
Boy, you must have pretty good inlaws :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

yup they took me in gave me a place to live when get this

on the same day, i broke my foot at work, got laid off, my mom kicked me out, my car broke down and i had a final exam in college the next day

it was a extremely crappy day

i only had 30bucks to my name at that point

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,747 Posts
imported post

After such an act of kindness, you married their daughter? That's just plain mean, PB. :cooldevil:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.