Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello from West Michigan! New to the forum... but have been trolling trying to get my new-to-me 79 gl1000 up and running. We are almost there and now I find there is no spark in any of the plugs.
Trying to pinpoint the problem, I first try to clean the spark plug connections at the coils. I see something odd... can someone please explain what it is? (See pic) looks like a short rubber tube but not connected to anything. Has an electrical connector hot glued the top. Spade connector going to what I think is the rectifier(?) Behind the coils. This is all right in front of the airbox btw.
The one connector was connected to the spade connector on the rectifier. I just pulled it off to clean it and noticed the tube and janky hot glue situation. Please advise...

Thanks!!
20200702_201323.jpg

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
No idea but have you checked the points,not much to keep a 79 from running,you need to think about changing the timing belts before it’s run too long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I just got the haynes manual in the mail so I'll lookup checking the points. Any tips/tricks for someone who has never done that? I'm more a nuts and bolts kinda guy...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
It’s kinda easy but there’s a timing hole on the left side of the engine top, toward the center with a slit in it for a screwdriver,

there’s a timing mark, ( you can find it in your manual) someone may have put electronic ignition on it, if they did it won’t have points, I always used a voltmeter to tell when the points open relative to the timing mark.

there's a special plug for that so you can see the timing mark and stupidly run the motor but don’t run it with the stock plug out,will spray oil everywhere.

Reactions: Dieseldaddy

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
That appears to be a ballast resistor connected in place of the original one just to the left of it. If it's bad you will get no power to the coils.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I see an aftermarket solderless connector adapter someone has added for some reason..
the black tube looks like an old plug wire left in place...? The original wiring was black/white wires
feeding the coils, yellow & blue/yellow wires going out to the points, 2 plug wires out of each coil to the 4 plugs...

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
also, what you called a rectifier is indeed the ballast resistor, keeps the coils from "over baking", looks like OE connector is attached to the aftermarket spade adapter, maybe a clue the coils (& points) have been replaced with an electronic ignition? To get spark from the coils, you need +12v to the coils (black/white wires) when the ignition switch is on (run position), & you must have continuity thru the yellow and blue/yellow wires to the points (or electronic p/u, if indeed pointless")..and of course the plug wires must be intact & continuous all the way thru the spark plug caps..
Better take off the points cover & expose all the wiring harness related to ignition, & get out yer electrical testers & wiring diagram! Check all the fuses above the airbox! There's also a main fuse at the battery box. Make sure the kill switch is on/functioning!
:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts