Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

61 - 80 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Revised sketch of steering setup. Feel free Dylan to refine the bracket on the fender. Also add a hole thru the round rod at the end of the curved part, for a bolt to fit should it be visible after assembly.

The whole assembly should probably be aluminum finish, so Kuryakyn can come up with a chrome cover. ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
That looks believable Dylan. It is easy to imagine that round end connected to a steering mechanism and to a spring/shock. It could also qualify as a single sided setup. One side of the bracket going into the fender could be short, so the chrome wheel cover could come off and allow the wheel to unbolt and drop out.

Good work. This is going to be interesting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just completed a 4000 mile trip on my recently acquired GL1800. It's definitely a better bike than my GL1500 but ...

I have some suggestions for the next gen goldwing:

1. make it lighter so it's not overloaded with 2 adult americans (who tend to be kinda fat) and a weeks worth of touring gear.

2. match a smaller engine (like an opposed 4) with a CVT. A CVT properly mated to the engine gives a very close approximation of "big block" torque without the weight and poor fuel economy. (yes I like to shift too but I'd gladly give up shifting if it saved weight.)

3. add an elec. adjustable windshield.

4. make it simpler. REDUCE the parts count. Reduced part counts typically yield a proportional savings in manufacturing cost.

5. incorporate the equivalent of "air wings" and "hand wings". I had these add-ons on my bike and they greatly increased our comfort level on a trip that included 39 degree mornings (michigan U.P.) and 90 degree afternoons (North Carolina). In particular the lower wings ability to blow some of the warm air from the radiators back to the rider was surprisingly effective.

6. either eliminate the seat so the rider can buy one that is actually comfortable all day or learn how to make one and include it with the bike. It's absurd that an aftermarket seat is necessary on a $20,000+ touring bike.

all that said the GL1800 is the best touring bike I've owned so far ...
Go look at the new CTX 1300

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Go look at the new CTX 1300
I have. Even got a test ride on one with the wife. Nice bike but really only made for a rider. The passenger gets pushed back too far and if she is typical 50 year old weight (don't tell the wife I said that), it affects the handling.
Single mans bike is all what the CTX is.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
This looks cool. I like the covered wheel idea. I would like to suggest making the saddle height lower. 26" or 27" would be great and would make the Wing appeal to more short legged riders.
The rest of it I don't have much idea about. All I can do is say if I like it or not. So far I like it.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Looks like a slow evolution to a TRON bike.

If it goes into production, IT MUST BE easily removable.

·
Graphics Guru
1,311 Posts
Looks like a slow evolution to a TRON bike.

If it goes into production, IT MUST BE easily removable.

the wheel would be removable. its supposed to be a single sided bracket the wheel hangs on. i don't think the bike will be a tron effort unless that is asked for, and i can't see anyone wanting that. the ring of fire is only going to be on the front wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Your wheel design looks really good.
The outside should be very easy to keep clean.
It looks massive and heavy, any idea of it's projected weight?

I guess I should have said, Tron'esk looking front wheel.
Tho I never really watched the movie I can't say exactly what the Tron bike looks like. BUT now that I looked it up, yah, not like it at all.

I take it you're working on the rest of the bikes design?

Just a point to consider:
Futuristic designs must take one step at a time because most people don't accept leap & bounds.
;)

Just ask Orville and Wilbur Wright, Leonardo da Vinci and Frank Lloyd Wright to name a few.

Besides,
Fewer sales are had with leaps and bounds. That sucks,
cause customers will need heaps and mounds of bucks.
__ (my best rhyme, in'a short time)

·
Graphics Guru
1,311 Posts
I take it you're working on the rest of the bikes design?
No, forum members like you suggest the way it looks so keep it coming. Concept Guy will use the members feedback to make sketches,, and i will do the CG work based on those drawings..

as for the wheel, i am guessing it wouldnt need to be much heavier than on the 1800. the chrome covers would probably be plastic and just puffed out to make space for the ally fork/bracket,, and that could be lighter than traditional fork legs.

i think the fairing and bodywork are next.. that will be a biggie so we will need lots of input for that.
:baffled:

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
ahhh, 0K.

* * * Concept Guy * * *

EXTERIOR SUGGESTIONS:
Make the faux tank wide like the wheel.
Has two hard and (maybe) lockable bins. Top accessible? Maybe tip to the side accessible?

Fairing and windshield sure could have that teardrop look. Wide in front to narrower rear then open space for humans and saddlebags completing the teardrop. Tho not to a point, that can be an accessory for aerodynamics and of coarse fuel mileage. (Eg: Craig Vetter's last fairing)
For that personal look to the (will be bland) fairing. Add-On ribs or panels?
(Dream/nightmare that one. LOL)

4 headlights. 2 normal HiLo beams and 2 for DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) Not understood why the 1500 Location Lights were not DRL's.

WOW, can't wait for first draft.
:shock:

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
* * * Concept Guy * * *

Fairing and windshield sure could have that teardrop look. Wide in front to narrower rear then open space for humans and saddlebags completing the teardrop. Tho not to a point, that can be an accessory for aerodynamics and of coarse fuel mileage.
+1. That sounds reasonable. Front lights could sure make more efficient use of the large fairing.

Dylan and Concept Guy: While I like what you did with the front wheel, I think the fender is too low at the back. Maybe raise it a tad so it looks realistic and show off more of the rotor covers at the same time?

·
Graphics Guru
1,311 Posts
Dylan and Concept Guy: While I like what you did with the front wheel, I think the fender is too low at the back. Maybe raise it a tad so it looks realistic and show off more of the rotor covers at the same time?

Is this any better?

·
Registered
31 Posts

Good observation Zeke. Dylan's tweak looks good to my eyes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ahhh, 0K.

* * * Concept Guy * * *

EXTERIOR SUGGESTIONS:
Make the faux tank wide like the wheel.
Has two hard and (maybe) lockable bins. Top accessible? Maybe tip to the side accessible?

Fairing and windshield sure could have that teardrop look. Wide in front to narrower rear then open space for humans and saddlebags completing the teardrop. Tho not to a point, that can be an accessory for aerodynamics and of coarse fuel mileage. (Eg: Craig Vetter's last fairing)
For that personal look to the (will be bland) fairing. Add-On ribs or panels?
(Dream/nightmare that one. LOL)

4 headlights. 2 normal HiLo beams and 2 for DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) Not understood why the 1500 Location Lights were not DRL's.

WOW, can't wait for first draft.
:shock:

That's what it's all about FM, thanks. Let me mull over that for a couple of days and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No, forum members like you suggest the way it looks so keep it coming. Concept Guy will use the members feedback to make sketches,, and i will do the CG work based on those drawings...
Yes that's how we want it to work. Post suggestions and we will try to integrate them at least in part.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
May be getting a little ahead of the game, who about a deep saddle,
9-10 inch back rest with a good bucket so as nolt to slide forward.
Also, some type of built in back and good arm rest for rider.
John

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Just thought of another idea for the passenger, can that part be cut down so
the center of gravity will not be as much.
John

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
In my opinion the latest Goldwing design catches way too much side wind. This 2012 is my first wing. I am comparing it to a 1983 Yamaha Ventura Royale which when in strong cross winds was easy to handle and was not yanked around like my wing is. So my suggestion is to make the bike slippery to side winds as well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

61 - 80 of 165 Posts