Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

81 - 100 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
Sifting through some older aerodynamic points:
''... streamlined bikes could be dangerous because they shift the center of aerodynamic pressure in ways that impact stability.''

I already knew that large fairings would be a hindrance to stability in cross winds. I never thought that aerodynamics could make the Center of Gravity liquid until I watched a video on bikes Death Wobble (D.W.) where high frontal pressure lightened the front wheel.
I now have a higher windshield on my 1500 and thought the height created more vortexes and those vortexes created the wobble, apparently a wrong diagnosis but still could to a degree.
Until that D.W. video I never gave thought to bikes weight redistribution to the wheels. Lucky me I haven't hit high speeds yet. Definitely something to be aware of when designing fairings for bikes.

Thinking on that and cross winds acting on the larger fairing surface area. Is there a way the teardrop fairing could cheat side winds?
Quick thoughts turns to micro directional meshed panels and/or fish gills. In a direct wind air smoothly slips past the gills while side winds allows the air for flow through. Said gills should not be adjustable for obvious stability reasons.
So what else can be done to cheat side winds? Automatic mechanical vents? Example, large street banners are using punctured flaps to relieve air pressure. Maybe the fairings vents front openings could alternate it's open/close and open on the side of the cross wind thus relieving some of that airs side push? OR maybe the whole fairing could rotate a little in the direction of the wind? TUCKER anyone? (headlight turns in direction of the turn)

All this has needs to be addressed in any fairings design.
I have a lot more but wish to focus on one point at a time.

All this reminds me of an old term, "SPEED HOLES". Still sounds funny.
:D

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Also, with all the plastic, do air can get thru so make a large sail-who about some louvers
in side pcs. Could help with heat trapped inside?
John

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good points about fairings and side winds. Slab-sided bikes like the Goldwing are at a disadvantage here, and one way out is to have gaps in the design like the old Venture Royale had. That might not work for a Goldwing where every bit of space is needed to pack in engine/electronics and storage.
Another way is to round the side of the bike more so it isn't like a barn door, which may also look nice. Some air scoops in the fairing would also help deflect side wind.
I will draw something up and run the numbers in our virtual wind tunnel. If it adds up to a positive result, I will post sketches here based on that.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Dylan and Concept Guy Thanks for not only giving us a chance to say, but to listen than
put your talent to work.
Thanks,
John

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
The only design feature I really want is easy access to be able to work on the bike. The rear wheel of the 1800 being like a car was a wonderful idea by Mother Honda. Maybe this front wheel could also be secured with lug nuts.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
this should be low slung and have more leg room. The windshield needs to have a
good vent and be made to be able to take all the abuse a long distant rider can give.
The bags are ok as is, but could be more aerodynamic. try to keep the weight at about
750 to 800.
John

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
I lost the pm, someone asked me to whoop together a logo to represent abs. Here is the first iteration, if you like it let me know what file format Wingnut Jr wants to convert to 3d...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Lets start a whole new concept for the wing. Leg room, knee angle and rider position were better on the 15 than the 18. The handle bars need to be adjustable from the factory to alleviate shoulder strain. Keep the flat 6 but, add three inches in length to the bike and allow the rider more leg space. Lower the ride height while incorporating a dual zone air bladder adjustable seat. I would sacrifice a little fuel storage to accomplish a lower ride height. Protect our hands better from air flow with the mirrors. Add convex partitions to our mirrors. Incorporate a set of highway peg adapters/radiators that protect our legs from heat and give us cornering clearance. Add some side lighting for greater safety. The 15 was way better in the visibility category. Lets be done with locking our GPS/headlight/ride height controls while under way. Just make us aware of the danger by placing some type of eye pleasing placard to warn us of the potential danger. A six speed transmission designed to be bullet proof. The current 5 speed is lacking durability and robs us of fuel economy. Think how long that flat 6 would last with a real overdrive instead of a regular 5th labelled OD. These bikes would literally last forever. Bring the horsepower and torque up so we can push that 6 speed easily like the current 5 speed. I don't have a problem with running higher octane fuels. Quiet the clutch mechanism. Mine is way to noisy. Incorporate things like ambient air temp/ice warnings/voltage gauge/real time tire pressure/tire temp/bluetooth/cup holders/engine oil pressure and whatever we as a high end purchaser of this bike would want.

I know all of the above is possible. BMW, which I had considered, does much of the above already with a very comparable purchase price. Let's get with it Honda.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
this should be low slung and have more leg room. The windshield needs to have a
good vent and be made to be able to take all the abuse a long distant rider can give.....
John
Yes all that. Bigger vents in the lower fairing that can effectively deliver warm and cool air to riders legs. Drop the saddle height from 29" to 27" to make the Wing practicable to more riders.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
I lost the pm, someone asked me to whoop together a logo to represent abs. Here is the first iteration, if you like it let me know what file format Wingnut Jr wants to convert to 3d...

That looks good Richard, is it for the fender or the wheel cover? I don't think file format matters, from what we seen posted earlier in the thread wingnut junior just eyeballs the reference pictures and works from that.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
being lower and a 6th gear, mileage should go up, so a little smaller fuel tank say 4.75 or
5 gal should still have a range of about 200 miles per tank.
can't wait to see the outcome of this bike.
John

81 - 100 of 165 Posts