Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

101 - 120 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
YES! Can you imagine a Goldwing that makes a more pleasing sound than an ear splitting Harley does?
The whine of a turbo, the smell of rich diesel, the clatter of a cold diesel engine. Diesel do not necessarily have to be noisy now days though. My 2003 cummins powered Dodge is very polite.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Another couple design criteria to keep in mind during this exercise:

1. total weight
2. total part count

Weight savings are their own reward in handling and fuel economy. I don't think I would ever buy a 1000lb goldwing no matter how nice it was.

A manufacturing engineer will tell you that a X% reduction in parts count typically provides an equal percentage drop in manufacturing cost. Honda already has a vast amount of expertise in reducing weight on their motorcycles; all they need do is apply some of that expertise to the GL.

So - lets make the new wing lighter and simpler.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Weight issue?
We can directly control much of any weight issue by consciously limiting how much gear we carry with us and or how much our own girth adds to the bikes overall weight.
We can also ask our gals to skinny up a bit. LOL!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
One very nice option that comes with a diesel engine is either an engine retarder or an exhaust brake, that would be so cool on a motorcycle. With the understanding of course that the brake light would need to be activated when one or the other is applied.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi FM,
I have a problem with the seat height being to low. How about an adjustable one. I mentioned to my wife that I'm going to have a seat made that allows me to sit a little further back so my knees don't hit the fairing. This would give her a little less room but she still has plenty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,
Sounds like good work so far but I also have some ideas.
1. More lighting (LED) It's a quiet bike so it's good to be more visible.
2. Adjustable handle bars.
3. Adjustable seat.
4. I would like a bigger gas tank.
5. Electrify the windshield height adjustment.
6. A six speed transmission (hint: like the Harley)
7. Have a smart phone interface nave (better than any factory stuff)
8. ABS standard.
9. Air flow in the seat.

Most important to me are #5 & #6

have at it!

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
YES! Can you imagine a Goldwing that makes a more pleasing sound than an ear splitting Harley does?
The whine of a turbo, the smell of rich diesel, the clatter of a cold diesel engine. Diesel do not necessarily have to be noisy now days though. My 2003 cummins powered Dodge is very polite.
So is my wifes BMW diesel. But, have you see how thick the injector manifold/housing needs to be in order to muffle the noise? There might not be enough room in a Goldwing for all that extra material.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would like to see the engine again. May just be me, but, I think you should see the engine on a motorcycle, it adds to the beauty. That was my complaint when they came out with the 1500. That is one reason I like the looks of the 1200 better that the 1500 or 1800.

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
GoldWing under glass?
Might be do'able.
Clear plexiGlass that is.

Multi-colored blinky-blinky lights.
Fog machine.
BIG hidden speakers for that rrrrrRRRUMMMMBLEEeeee
:shock:

·
Registered
275 Posts
GoldWing under glass?
Might be do'able.
Clear plexiGlass that is.:shock:
For the rider with discriminating taste!

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
I would like to see the engine again. May just be me, but, I think you should see the engine on a motorcycle, it adds to the beauty. That was my complaint when they came out with the 1500. That is one reason I like the looks of the 1200 better that the 1500 or 1800.
I kind of like the look of the 1500 and 1800 rocker covers. They are big enough to show off the big engine, without needing to see fuel pumps, wires and tubes.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts

I have some suggestions for the next gen goldwing:

........ either eliminate the seat so the rider can buy one that is actually comfortable all day or learn how to make one and include it with the bike. It's absurd that an aftermarket seat is necessary on a $20,000+ touring bike.
Quoted for truth.

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
Beginning to wonder that myself.
While we're waiting, let's put it to poem to pass the time.
:readit:
Where is Concept man!
Oh where oh where can he be.
How long must we sing,
F'ore we get a glimpse O'da Wing.

101 - 120 of 165 Posts