Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

121 - 140 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know all of the above is possible. BMW, which I had considered, does much of the above already with a very comparable purchase price. Let's get with it Honda.
BMW currently has all competition in their rear view mirror with their K1600 GTL. While considered a sport tourer, this bike blows everything away in the areas of technology and performance. With significantly accurate electronic suspension adjustment, ride mode settings, traction control, adjustable windscreen, blue tooth, simplistic operation of all functions, gobs of power in all gears at virtually any RPM, incredible handling, headlight that looks around corners etc. etc. Now all bikes have strengths and weaknesses. Personally, I think the GW may be the perfect balance between the Harley and BMW touring platforms. However, a buyer, looking for the best all around touring bike regardless of brand loyalty and buying new, has little reason to buy the GW. I am one enthusiast that hopes Honda steps up and leap frogs BMW with the next GW and does this in 2015. It will force all other brands to keep improving and provide guys like me choice in touring machines because today the GW gets no consideration.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
The only place gw is sill best at is passenger seat. My wife and I sat on both and she still likes the room and comfort better. I like the lower stance better. Just my 2 cents worth.
Know back to the new design.
John

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
For what it is worth; I have read from our neighbors fourm that the BMW bikes have several quality control issues and engine problems to deal with. And a heavy bureaucratic authorization procedure for the dealers to jump through when warranty work is needed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
112 Posts
i am glad i found this thread! i will be watching now!

and just a few small inputs..

seat hight i agree should be adjustible, as i have a taller tire on my 1500 and it is still good for me to have feet down i think it could be less comfortable to have the seat 3-4 inches lower. ( it is up about +1 from stock)

headlight needs either hid and or projectors ( hell even LED's at this point)! as well as almost all other lighting needs to be led and more of it! more light with less power! with a side fairing light and at least one strip in the rear for good side visibility.

i think color options should be availible too. like the f6b the black should be cheaper than the chrome. i for one like a little less chrome ( similer to a stock 1800 )

the electronics in the world ( and other bikes) are getting pretty good, take the hint

common service items should not take hours and hours to do ( thinking 1800 air filter)

just have to remember too that the more that is tacked on ( standard abs, airwings ect) will all add to price and weight and be more things to break/fix. so sometimes more is not always better.

but i will be keeping up with this thread! we may be watching the next wing in the making ( or possibley the second from now, as with as long as the 1800 has been out i am sure they have been working on a replacement. for how long or how far till it is relesed we will have to wait to find out) but there could be a possibility that with a diverse group of guys/gals that use them and have spent time on what we the consumers want they may actually concider some of the key points. most likley not be the same but i could see similaritys and hints/key from it! and to watch that happen through here could be sweet!

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
Maybe he's taking all of our FANTASTIC ideas and running to the patent office?
:?

or....

Since Concept Man (Ed) is the main culprit in sketching this project out and Mother Honda found out what we were up to, Ed was abducted!
:shock:

or. . . .

( what's your "Made for Movie" story line? )

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
or....

Since Concept Man (Ed) is the main culprit in sketching this project out and Mother Honda found out what we were up to, Ed was abducted!
:shock:
Stranger things happen. Dylan better be careful, he could be next to disappear. Watch out for dark vans with blacked out windows, and big lads carrying camán but not wearing the jerseys to go with them. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
"...big lads carrying camán"

OK, new word to search up and learn... camán.
I seeeeeeee. . . .
I take it, using a Shillelagh is old hat?

Doing a search on 'The Basics of Hurling' ((((( mind wandering - seeing a grid field with scattered beer kegs and drunks stumbling around and slamming down more beers to load up and HURL in the end zone into a bucket. The game ends when the bucket is full.. shaking head & blinking eyes to snap out of it ))).. .. . ummm, where was I?
:D
OH right, Maybe in that game the offense uses a camán and the defense a Shillelagh?
Or is the game rough and wild enough?
:ROFL:

·
Registered
231 Posts
While the Wing if far from perfect, there will never be a BMW under me. Honda does need to go forward with the available technology this era has to offer. Active suspensions, Bluetooth and better lighting are but a few of the needed additions.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts

Well here is an oldie, if I had one I would make it so the front opens up completely, sure it may look like a cross between a whale and a Can Am. But look at all the trunk space!

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
The Dymaxion, WOW!
When I was real young I remember my older brothers talking about this car.
Someone back then had a fantastic futuristic idea and actually built a few.

Ford V-8
30 MPG
11 passenger
3 wheels = motorcycle

Rear wheel steering works backwards to our natural way of driving. With your eyes closed, imagine driving and turning left, the front goes where your turning. Now imagine turning left and your not turning but the rear is swinging to the right to turn left, the front is pivoting around on it's own axis. It works for short and slow vehicles, not long ones like the Dymaxion's 21 foot length.

Now, IF it were built today (tho smaller) with today's modern knowledge and materials...
I wouldn't be surprised it getting 50 - 60 MPG... 100+?

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Since I last posted here I successfully rebuilt a wrecked 93 Aspencade and installed a touchscreen radio with Bluetooth, it's been discussed in the "Building the Mollie Ragonesi tribute bike " thread.
So for now I can afford to buy older Gl1500 bikes and can easily, at least for me retro modding them it's been very satisfying and far less expensive than buying a new Goldwing.

So I hope a Goldwing representative reads this, I and a feel I speak for others, we, will keep our Older Goldwings and we will upgrade them as you are not upgrading yours. Very soon fuel injection kits , abs and even airbags will be installed on at least the Gl1500 Goldwings.

121 - 140 of 165 Posts