Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,742 Posts
We have one member here on the forum who has upgraded to fuel injection on his 1500 . Its not in a kit that I know of . But he has done the leg work and is in the tunning stages.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I've been wanting a new wing for years now. I like the idea of EFI, heated bars, etc. but I am waiting for another gear, better fuel economy and Bluetooth. Just looked at the 15s and it looks like it is going to be at least one more year ��������

·
Registered
465 Posts
The only thing I'd like that my 2013 doesn't have is a fore and aft adjustable seat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What's with the paint schemes? Only Red/Black, All black or all pearl white? AND, the crappy looking blacked out frame and insets? Also, the HD look isn't becoming of Honda! Harley's are crap bikes and have always been. It's just that every person out there that thinks they are a badass has to have one. Get rid of the swept back thing with the saddlebags and for Gods sake, bring back Blue and Red full colors and CHROME!

If you were making these changes for the past5 years or so to compete with HD, maybe people were buying Harley's Because you made those changes???

The 2001-2010 models looked good. Models after 2010, not so much. And the 2015 absolutely sucks!

I really want a new Goldwing, but I'll keep riding my 86 Aspencade until you get it right.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
What's with the paint schemes? Only Red/Black, All black or all pearl white? AND, the crappy looking blacked out frame and insets? Also, the HD look isn't becoming of Honda! Harley's are crap bikes and have always been. It's just that every person out there that thinks they are a badass has to have one. Get rid of the swept back thing with the saddlebags and for Gods sake, bring back Blue and Red full colors and CHROME!

If you were making these changes for the past5 years or so to compete with HD, maybe people were buying Harley's Because you made those changes???

The 2001-2010 models looked good. Models after 2010, not so much. And the 2015 absolutely sucks!

I really want a new Goldwing, but I'll keep riding my 86 Aspencade until you get it right.

It is quite difficult for any business to please everyone, all the time. With that in mind, blacked out trim is becoming the more requested look over chrome. So does a company, any company, want to continue to cater ONLY to a diminishing group of people? Chrome has fallen out of favor with the younger crowd. To create a style that appeals to younger folks, they are increasing their potential group of buyers, which in turn leads to more sales and higher profits. Which can then be invested into the next generation of whatever product is being sold. If a company isn't growing, it's dying. So that's where the aftermarket smaller companies can step in to make certain parts a certain way. To fit the needs of a smaller group of people, and make a profit. I'm sure many people thought fins should never give way to the boring slab sided cars of the mid 60' to 70's. Styles and fads have a way of changing every ones tastes just a little bit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
SCCAZ,
Thank you for the business lesson. I am sure it will help me in my MBA studies. My issue with the blackened trim on Goldwings is I have not seen any of the "younger crowd" riding Goldwings. I know of no one under the age of 50 that owns one around here (Tacoma, Wa) except me. I bought my 86 Aspencade I think in 2009, 2010 maybe. I turned 50 this year and I have always been younger than anyone here that I've met with a Goldwing. I guess I am just an "old school" type of guy. If its a Goldwing it should be shiny, paint and chrome. Our local Honda dealer has had the same blacked out 2015 on the showroom floor since it showed up last year. They had two, so I know that they at least sold one. It seems that every new 2015 sold there was in shiny colors with chrome. I don't know their actual sales numbers, just what I've seen as I have been in there at least once a month for something. Anywhoo, from what I've seen, the blacked out Goldwings are not faring well. I just hate it when I go into a dealer showroom and the only new Goldwing is all blacked out. Gives the impression that Goldwings only come in that color scheme.

Alan

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I know the age thing. Wife and I are 48, and we are the youngest ones that show up for any meetings or rides.
While I don't mind chrome, I don't like an excess amount of it. I do like the black-out look, but again, not in excess. When I got my 96 3 years ago, I "dechromed" it a bit. I only took off what was installed over all the side and taillights.

·
Banned
111 Posts
I see this thread has been around a while, what ever happened with Concept Guy?

·
Registered
86 Posts
IF Honda puts out a new Goldwing, anytime soon, it needs to incorporate a two or three model strategy again, with real differences between the models. Would also be a good time to reintroduce the ST1100/1300, or another Silverwing. I'd like a sportier version, that is comfortable, but still has some handling and ground clearance. Willing to sacrifice some features.

·
Administrator
22,303 Posts
Reading the last 3 or four posts, I think, "if Honda reissued the GL12, I'd buy one", but...

...not if it was all blacked out, or, chromed out either.

But that seems to be what is being offered anymore, so, maybe I should get used to the idea of riding my current bike for another 28 years.

·
Magic Moderator
4,500 Posts
If you look at some of the goofy bikes Honda has came up with, I cannot see why a 'Retro' GL1200 wouldn't fly.
There was the DN-1, the NM-4, the CTX700N and the Valkyrie. How many of those flew off the showroom floor.
Now there's the goofy looking NeoWing reverse trike they are showing. :ROFL:
The flat 4 is being used on that mess, why not put it to better use.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
The next generation Gold Wing should be:

A BIG sport-touring bike, smaller overall, lighter by 80 pounds, with a boat load of high-tech features and reduced luggage capacity.

OH LOOK, THE 2018 GOLD WING IS HERE... AND IT IS ! ! ! :ROFL:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Retro is cool. Everyone knows this.

This may seem off topic, but it is the same CONCEPT:

https://jalopnik.com/what-happened-to-all-the-datsun-240zs-nissan-restored-i-1583370936

I HAD a fascination with the 240 Z. I was in a dealership that had one in 1997. Couldn't believe my eyes. Did some serious digging in my finances to figure out if I could get it. Alas, no.

Everybody has their needs and likes. The Wing has come a long way, and not by accident. I just think there would be a market for GL1200's, in a modern context. My own history has a GL1000 and a 1200. I'm dealing with my disappointments in my current 1500. I really loved the power to weight ratio, the gearing, the ease of maintenance , the look of my older guys.

They are selling the cooler F6 side-by-side with the current loaded touring edition, so I guess Honda has some idea what's going on. The Valkyrie, I think, was introduced as a retro design- showing off the engine.

Can anyone name a successful throw back design? Don't say, "Indian" because they have been in and out of bankruptcy for 30 years- trying to sell a nostalgia machine to a small group. I guess once you sell 30 thousand units, you have no where to go.

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
Does anyone know what happened to GWF member 'CONCEPT GUY'?
He just... disappeared.
Passed away?
Honda or Alien abduction? (some say they're the same thing)

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Retro is Cool

To: Malcom X,
I so wanna say "Indian". Look at them close and gauge potential before deflecting with "company history". After all, it's a a new company Polaris-Victory-Indian if I'm not mistaken.

Now as a longtime loyal GL owner ('76, 89 & 15 - still riding all too) I do top the Indian with a Valkyrie. I'm not talking about the new one but look at how many Valkyries were sold from 96-03 and are still being rode today. Those owners love that classic big Americana road bike look. Cruisers and Baggers are a huge part of our riding community and our riders clamor for more than just air cooled V-twins. Indian has done that with theirs including all the high tech creature comforts one can imagine (albeit V-twin still). I'm constantly asking why isn't Honda doing the same in that particular market with a horizontally opposed 6. Now as for bringing back the flat 4... Not a bad idea at all... Younger riders would also be less intimidated by the smaller engine and frame being updated. Not only that but marketing the flat 4 overseas would be a cinch too. Smaller riders purchasing for tighter roads in Japan, Thailand, China and Korea would provide more in sales there than the US ever would as long as it just has "Retro Looks".

141 - 160 of 165 Posts