Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been talking on another forum about, How far you like to ride in a day.
Some like to go far, and fast on the slab to get somewhere.
Some like back roads only, but still put on some big miles (Me)
Some think it is about the destination JUST GET THERE
Some go for the trip (where you go is not important)
Some like a combination( Slab, and back roads)
What tickles your fancy( there is no wrong answer.)
God bless, and Marry Christmas.
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
When you live in the middle of the country, there's a saying we have about you have to travel at least a day to get anywhere interesting, and it sort of fits unless you have a great love of corn and soybean fields stretching to the horizon.

I'm of the "hurry up and get there' attitude for the most part because of that. I've tried some of the back roads and just don't have a fondness for pot holes and rubbish on the roads. Rather get where I'm going to enjoy it.

Just me.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
For me, I live in both San Antonio and Kansas City, sometimes the interstates can be right down nighmareish and it leaves you begging for a good old country Rd. other times you will make some time on that interstate man.. Now having said that if I'm not in much of a hurry I go the back roads, I love riding into small towns and stopping, the locals usually strick up a conversation, you won't get that much off the interstate, plus many small towns may have something going on like a festival or a cook off, shoot man I'll stop and enjoy a little of their local food. Country rds are sometimes the best way, you just don't have the backup traffic you might get off the interstate..I usually do both though..Mix it up..Slab and back rds.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
proublem i have with group rides is they want to get there and back. being a photographer i like to stop hike and shoot.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
My wife tickles my fancy:ROFL:
As far as riding is concerned, I am just happy to be riding, no matter what style or where.:waving:

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I like to ride....period. I have no typical style, I love the twisties, two lane roads and if I need to get somewhere quick there is no substituting the superslab.

Just show me where we want to go and how long we have to get there and I'll adjust my riding style to fit.

Henry

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
My wife tickles my fancy:ROFL:
As far as riding is concerned, I am just happy to be riding, no matter what style or where.:waving:

X2!!!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,331 Posts
proublem i have with group rides is they want to get there and back. being a photographer i like to stop hike and shoot.
That's an issue when riding with friends. They just don't understand why it takes so long to get the pic. Something they can do (to their satisfaction) without leaving the saddle.
I'm not like some, who will hike for miles and wait for hours to get the shot, but it's nice to find a pleasing angle/light combination.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
I like to ride from when I feel like starting until I feel like stopping with no particular place to go and no particular time to get there. Might be 100 miles, might be 500 miles. Doesn't matter as long as I'm ridin.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I love the middle day of a long weekend.
Just me and my bike out at the crack of dawn to empty roads.
12 to 16 hours later I'm home to a cold barley sandwich.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
I like a combination of the slab and the back roads, it all depends on the situation. Whether or not I am on a mission to get somewhere in a certain timeframe or just meandering with no time limit.

As for the mileage ridden, I like to get at least 300-500 miles a day. If there is a certain landmark along the way, I will usually end up taking 1-3 hours visiting the landmark getting photographs and visiting it. On those days, I end up with only 300 miles on the road.

Other then that, as long as your out in the wind is what matters.
:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Living in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and having friends in Colorado it is a full day's travel to Denver. Over 700 miles. On the wing we stop and spend the night somewhere along the way. I have relatives in western kansas so my longest distance in one day is nearly 600 miles. That is about all I want to do one up or two up. Going to kansas from here is all farm to market roads. I have made it interstate via I35 to OKC and it was not too bad it just depends on time of day and how much of a hurry I am. To get anywhere west its interstate just to get out of texas which can take ALL day if going straight west to El Paso. Going east that is a totally different story. But we do like the major non interstate roads between the small towns.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I like to ride....period. I have no typical style, I love the twisties, two lane roads and if I need to get somewhere quick there is no substituting the superslab.

Just show me where we want to go and how long we have to get there and I'll adjust my riding style to fit.

Henry

I agree, I don't have a "Set style" I adjust for the weather and time to arive, after that I enjoy the ride!;)

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
If I'm going somewhere in a hurry, I'll go however is quickest. If I'm not in a hurry and there are decent roads other than the interstate, that's how I'll go. For just going out for a pleasure ride, it's all back roads and the twistier the better.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
500 miles a day on a several day trip. One day trips, 600-700, if I get an early start. Usually a combination of Interstate and state hiways. Is it riding season yet?

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
For me it depends on the distance I.m going I've done a couple of cross country trips and the magic number seems to be 500 miles a day

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Twisties are a fun playground, and curvy two lanes in the hills are tons of fun in the early AM before the cages and hardly riders wake up and clog the roads, I usually see them headed out of town just as the day is getting too hot to enjoy around 10.00-11.00am as I am arriving back home after a four to five hour thoroughly enjoyable ride.
I do not enjoy the interstates, however I also spend a lot of time upon them just getting to where I need to be, they are easier to estimate arrival time, and do not require trip planning either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.