Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need your advice. I am going to buy my first wing. I have been riding for over 30 years. we will not be doing any touring. We will do weekend trips and just run around. My wife has to have a red bike. Would you buy an 1500 or an 1800 and why?

I would like to spend around 8K for a 1500 or about 10K for an 1800 if possible.

Talk to me!!

Thanks you guys are great!! :)

In His service,

Harry :)

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey In His Service, :waving: Your very welcome aboard the best Goldwing site on the net. :clapper: I have owned the :15red:andi presently have the use of my neighbours:18red:They are both nice and good wings. :weightlifter: But i have to state without fear of contradiction that the :18red:is streets ahead of the :15red:in every aspect. :jumper: Those prices that you state wouldn't buy much of a goldwing in this little country of ours.:crying:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Hello Harry :D. I've had a couple of GL1500s and just got a new GL1800 before Christmas. There is absolutelty no comparison, the 1800 goes better, stops better and handles much much better. If you have never rode a Wing and you buy a 1500, you will be very happy with it. But once you ride an 1800 you won't ever look at a 1500 again. Mind you a GL1500se with all the trimmings still looks more like a Wing than an 1800, but the riding experience on the 1800..... :):):).

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Budegan :waving: Congrats on your 100th post. :clapper: Hey whatabout those 1200 and 1100 whatever you call them things. :stumped: Some of these guys are going crazy looking for them. :whip:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

In His service wrote:
I would like to spend around 8K for a 1500 or about 10K for an 1800 if possible.

Talk to me!!

Thanks you guys are great!! :)

In His service,

Harry :)
Talking to you... I have a 1500 but would go to an 1800 if money fell out of the sky. Unfortunately so far not much has. You can find a good 1500 for $8000. 1993s and a year or two newer go in that range. I don't think you're going to find too many 1800s around $10,000. Thirteen and up sounds more likely to me. I had a 1200 prior to my current bike and enjoyed it, I don't think there are any 'bad' Wings. Check out prices on eBay and the GWRRA (GoldWing Road Riders Association)classified site:

http://bbs.gwrra.org/board/messages/16/136.html?1110401180

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

:action:

Well I think I will go with the 1500. Now all I have to do is find a red 1992 or newer wing near Portland OR.

Thanks for everone's input!! You guys rock!!

In His service,

Harry :D

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I hate to tell you, but I will, you just missed a 1994 in Kent, WA. Went for $7001 on eBay. I think the buyer got a better deal on that one than I got on mine, except it was teal instead of red.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

well dont want to bust no ones bubble but the 1500 is more comfortable on long rides then the 1800 i have both plus 1200 and they all are great bikes a lot has to do how you set them up.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

don oller wrote:
well dont want to bust no ones bubble but the 1500 is more comfortable on long rides then the 1800.
Hey don oller :waving: You better change whatever tablets your taking, because they are having a serious effect on your judgement. :whip:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

In His service wrote:
I need your advice. I have been riding for over 30 years. we will not be doing any touring. We will do weekend trips and just run around. My wife has to have a red bike. Would you buy an 1500 or an 1800 and why?

Hi IHS

Welcome, I note you budget restraints.

How about Redwings Red Honda 50cc with go faster strips, I am sure you will have change left over, to think about an 1800 the only wing to have, even though I am still a1500 owner.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Naw, REDWING's Honda 50 is set up for driving on the wrong side of the road!

:whip:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
don oller wrote:
well dont want to bust no ones bubble but the 1500 is more comfortable on long rides then the 1800.
Hey don oller :waving: You better change whatever tablets your taking, because they are having a serious effect on your judgement. :whip:
Hey REDWING, I have to believe don oller is right since it's unlikely I can ever afford an 1800 and don't have an inattentive neighbor with one!

:baffled:

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

ok guys eachs has it own nitch and i have a1200 sei a 1800 and a 1500 also a 1100 std. 82 model they all do some things well but overall the 1500 is the best most reliable bike i have owned and i have rode in excess of 1 million miles no brag just facts had hd. indian and yam. a xs 1100 and three 1300 kawa which i also liked oh well . 1500 not as fast but smoother and less engine noise ans less to maintain saddle bags that work and frames that do not break enought said

ride safe

freedom wings agwa jackson tn.

state director and region director south east usa

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I've had two 1200's (1986) and one 1500 (1994), test drove a brand new 1800 (2003). The 1800's are easier to handle, much more nimble and stick to the road better than the previous models... All I can see on the 1800's as a downer is the gas mileage... BUT,,, what the heck..... Bigger engine eats more fuel....

By the way,,, Where are the GL1200 icons???

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

don oller wrote:
i have a1200 sei a 1800 and a 1500 also a 1100 std. 82 model they all do some things well but overall the 1500 is the best most reliable bike i have owned.
Hey don oller :waving: You just have so many wings to decide which is best. Unfortunately you have made the wrong decision in this case. :whip: The :18red:is streets ahead of them all. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

oh well to each his own thats what makes the world go around 1800 does handle better is more nimble as you say . but it does not pull trailer as well and wind and rain protection is not near as good and does not give you as much room as 1500 but it all in what you want my sons ride rc51 cbr1000 and they thank they are best so it all only a view

ride safe but just ride

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

WELL SOMEBODY CAME ALONG AND DECIDED HE WANTED MY 861200 SEI SO LET HIM HAVE IT AS IS 4000 DOLLARS . ONE LESS TO POLISH HUH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.