Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had the opportunity to trade some wood work for 3 brand new 14" tires and rims for the cargo trailer I built. It had 8'' tires. Anyway, I had intended on mounting the spare underneath the trailer, but the guy I traded with had it mounted there on HIS trailer, and the bead/rim was jammed with little rocks. Enough that I think it could damage the spare if you didn't clean them all out before use. So I opted to mount it inside the trailer, (cartop carrier), way up in the front. That space is kinda useless anyway. I figured no one will steal it, and it won't be exposed to the elements that way. Worked out pretty slick. Pictures coming. jimsjinx

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

The rims and tires were perfect! jimsjinx:cheesygrin:

Attachments

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

Mount it on the bottom of the trailer tongue. Easy to get to, out of the way. That is where mine is, though it sits back under a bit (under the trailer).

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

You might want to give some thought as to where and how you will store the dirty, muddy, nastytire it replace; should that day come.

This is where we located ours. Not saying that this is where you need to locate yours, just showing an option.

Attachments

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

I like the "underneath" mounting, a small shiled generally keeps the rocks/gravel to a minimum and it does give ya a place to stash the flat.

However, having the spare UNDER a trailer with a flat is no joy on the soft shoulder of some crappy road (a roll-on axle jack can help, but it's friggen scary sometimes).

to that, holding the spare on or under the tongue seems to address a lot of stuff if you can afford the added tongue weight.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

:waving:heres where mine is ---

mounts wiith a square U bolt an nuts. have not dragged it yet. curbs , drive ways or such.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yeah, that was my first thought. I may move it underneath after all. Hey Pete, that is a NICE trailer! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

I would consider a tire carrier on the back of the trailer to help keep weight off the tongue. The only issue would be making the tongue too light when running empty?

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

The tire and wheel is so light that the 'extra' weight on the tongue is probably a good thing, and can be compensated by how the trailer is loaded if needed. Mine is mounted much like WDA-83 wing's. You could use a U-bolt and mount it a bit further forward to make access easier. After all, you need to check its air once in a while, too.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I took my spare off and set it along side the garage. I carry a patch kit as my trailer tires are tubeless. It seemed to take quite a bit of extra tools to carry to be able to replace the trailer tire. Jack, wrench to remove spare from holder, tire iron or wrench to take off lugs and the spare tire. All extra weight and almost unnecessary.

In the 4,000 miles I have pulled a trailer, I have never had a flat tire.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

KNOCK ON WOOD!! :hovering:

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
Yeah, that was my first thought. I may move it underneath after all. Hey Pete, that is a NICE trailer! jimsjinx
Thank you.They have held up well given thier age and mileage. Never had to my spare but I am aware of Murphy's law.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

We travel coast to coast and all in between on a bike with no spare . Does a trailer go flat more easily ?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

It's not that one type of tire will get a flat more than another, a puncture is a puncture. But rather, avoiding destroying a good rim cause you were unprepared for a trailer tire flat! I've seen these tires overheat due to a slow leak puncture, unbenounced to the driver, then disintigrate into little road gators! I'd hate to have to hide my trailer in the bushes and then, have to go buy another tire, or worse, have to drag my trailer on a rim! jimsjinx

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Here's mine. Helps counter the weight of a full cooler on the tongue.

Are the 8" tires any good? I would have traded you my 12" off this trailer including the spare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.