Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My brother and I went on a trip in the Arizona mountains 2 weekends ago (Coronado Trail) and he hit a cow and totalled the wing. He broke his hand and right leg as a result of the impact (extremely lucky hit). He had very good experience with Geico insurance and received full replacement value for the bike. He is doing fine but thinks he may not replace the wing and stop touring (still thinking about it).

He was very lucky in that he actually hit the cows head and neck as it stepped up onto the highway. He was going about 70 MPH and it felt like he just went right through the cow. Actually the cow was spun around behind him and landed in the oncoming lane. The cow was dead and several hunters stopped and had the thing gutted within 30 min. after the hit.

He stayed up on the wing, went another 50 feet or so (bike died upon impact), put down his side stand and got off the bike.

Long story short, I purchased the wing from the insurance company as it really seems in great condition, however it now has a salvage tile. I brought it home and started looking at what all was wrecked yesterday.

The cowmissed the front wheel and fender so the frame, motor, wheels seem fine. The faring, headlights, lowers, dashboard, display, and steel tube frame that holds all of this is blasted. It turns over fine but I have not tried to start it yet.

In any case it has a CD player & CB (Hondaline) that I am going to remove and put on my bike ('05).

Anyway the bike is an Orange '03 with 23K miles (not ABS). My questions is what do you think I should do with it? I'm sure others on the board have been in a position to aquire a wrecked wing and may have found the best way to resell the thing.

I'm not interested in spending the next 6-months parting it out on Ebay, just get the most for it in the shortest period of time. I live in the Phoenix area and assume there is somekind of local/regional scrapyard that tends to buy whats left after the obvious plastic/accessories/etc. are sold. Obviously the motor is in great shape with only 23K miles.

I see where guys want to buy the wheels, but once you pull the wheels off its going to be hard to move around, put on someones trailer, etc.

Anyway I assume some of you on the board have experience with this kind of thing (I have never done this before) and was hoping you could make some suggestions on the best approach. I guess it would be great to find another Orange '03 that had been hit in the rear and then rebuild the frontend. However at the end of the day you would still end up with a nice Orange '03, but with a salvage title.

Your suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

Just a though but maybe you could find a stripped/theft recovery bike from one of the graveyards and make one bike out of two. It will always have a salvage title, but there may be someone out there that you could help get into touring that can't afford it any other way.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Keep it as a parts bike for yourself. I doubt there is much difference in the two, they are pretty close in age. Other than that, you didn't say what you paid for it, I would have to assume it was around $5000. That's a lot of money sitting around not doing anything. If you got the parts off of it you wanted (cb/CD) then it should still be marketable. Why not start it up and see if it still drives ( after suitable application of duct Tape!) That way if you decide to list it on fleabay, you can at least state that it can still be driven. That should help you sell it.

Pity though, that Orange is a very cool color!

Good luck!

Daveo

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yes the Orange is a cool color, however my '05 is Black Cherry so no color parts work.

What I did was to pull all the broken parts off the front end and threw them away. Thought it would be best to strip it down past the damage in case someone wanted to see just how bad, or not so bad the hit was.

I tried to start it but it will not light up. It turns over but I think no spark. Seems like something up front is telling the computer not to allow start-up. I'm not sure where the lean angle sensor is located and I did remove a couple of modules (small black boxes) that were plugged in up front. Maybe one of them is the lean angle sensor and needs to be plugged back in. I did see on one of the modules that it said "This Side Up". Not sure why a module would indicate which side was up unless it was the lean angle sensor (duh).

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Good Luck

Daveo

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

I am glad your brother was not hurt worse. Please give him our regards. I hope the hunters sent him some prime steaks. Goldwing vs. cow: I wouldn't have expected the Wing to be the one left standing.

As for what to do wiith the bike, did you see the "Honda MG" thread?

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

I say build a reverse trike like the one "bigcowhead" has in his avatar.

I bet it would really move with 1800 cc's pushing it!:shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.