Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

ok. just finished putting in progressives in my forks. just got done with my first full speed road test and noticed how firm they are. my fairingalways seemed to move with the front end. not now. the forks seem so stiff that the fairing is now shaking on bumps.

would taking out some oil work? i put in ATF as recomended. new oil? or give them time to break in.

help....

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

These can be pretty stiff. My 1200I is rated at 0-6 psi in the front and I usually run 0-2 psi in the forks. You don't need much.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

P Yanney wrote:
These can be pretty stiff. My 1200I is rated at 0-6 psi in the front and I usually run 0-2 psi in the forks. You don't need much.
they have 0 right now so no wiggle room.

talked to an engineer friend who laughed and said, "you know how long it took those engineers to come up with just the right spring for those forks. now you went and messed with it." i'm beginning to wonder....

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

The forks should probably take a slight amount less oil with Progressives but not sure how much, do a search here because I know it's here somewhere. The stock springs are a little mushy and I've been known to ride it like I stole itso going into a hard curve can be spooky if the front creeps away. Did you replace the bushings and everything with the springs?

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

My instruction sheet, same as the above link provided by *******:
Paragraph 2, recommends 20 weight oil for GL 1100; Progressive springs displace more oil requiring maximum oil level at 5.5".
Fine Tuning Paragraph, Oil viscosity can be changed to alter dampening; too high an oil level and the forks will feel too stiff, too low an oilheight and the bike will bottom and feel soft or dive; Progressive springs are designed to be used with no air pressure under normal conditions.

On my 1983 GL 1100A, I used 20 weight oil and set oil level at 5.5". I use air since we have the sidecar weight. Without the sidecar, no air.

The springs should not need time to "break in". My guess is that if you
used the Honda Manual recommended oil weight and amount, oil level is too high. According to the instruction sheet there is some leeway to play with the oil level.

ATF is about 15 weight so you should be OK with it unless you want to change to the recommended 20 weight.

All that I have read about Progressive Springs, most people are satisfied with the handling. Be interested in knowing what you find.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I did do the recommended 5.5" from the top of thecompressed shock.

I will check out the info and maybe reduce the amount of oil.

It seemed the amount recommended by honda 9.8oz was about the exact same as 5.5" from the top. Now that I see the amount of oil can be reduced i think i will give that a go.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

There was a big difference in handling and ride on my 1989 GL 1500 when I put them on in the mid 1990s. On the GL 1100A with the sidecar, not much notice except during stopping and front end height. Progressive springs do make the front end more firm. I sure don't have any more suggestions. Come back and let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Wichita Scorpion wrote:
There was a big difference in handling and ride on my 1989 GL 1500 when I put them on in the mid 1990s. On the GL 1100A with the sidecar, not much notice except during stopping and front end height. Progressive springs do make the front end more firm. I sure don't have any more suggestions. Come back and let us know what you find.
thanks for the info.

i think i solved one of the issues. after closer examination i noticed that my buddy who was on the top end of the fork reinstall failed to get the rubber boots under the middle clamps on the forks. I think this should quiet the rattle that was going on. I then am going to take out some oil now that i see the specs from progressive which states you can remove quite a bit of oil.

I assume a lesser amount of oil will smooth the ride out. I was surprised progressive said that you could remove most of the oil and be ok.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i would'nt drain all the fluid out, and if you can, take the same amount out of each leg

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

******* wrote:
i would'nt drain all the fluid out, and if you can, take the same amount out of each leg
yep. i was thinking a couple oz at a time out of each.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.