Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My friend rode my gl1200 and now wants one of his own. But he found a 1999 gl1500 with 225,000 kms on it. He's a little leary on the mileage but I told him it was a Honda, not a Harley. They don't need rebuilding every 100,000 kms. What else does he need to look at in terms of potential problems.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
imported post

Bender wrote:
My friend rode my gl1200 and now wants one of his own. But he found a 1999 gl1500 with 225,000 kms on it. He's a little leary on the mileage but I told him it was a Honda, not a Harley. They don't need rebuilding every 100,000 kms. What else does he need to look at in terms of potential problems.
Other than normal wear items, the only known problems with the '99 Wing's were as follows:

1. The drive shaft boots usually split prematurely. Due to a Valkyrie universal joint and a Gold Wing Boot. They were replaced under warranty and it was advisable to use the Valkyrie boot.

2. The 1997 - 2000 Gold Wing's were subject to premature alternator failures. Due to being made in China with inferior rotor windings and connections. Not all of them failed (mine did not) but a significant number of them failed. Some folks replaced them with Comp-U-Fire alternators.

These were the only two known problems from the factory.

At 157,000 + miles, my '99 Wing is running great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.