Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have this friend with a 99 GL1500 SE. He has quit riding.....barely put 200 miles the whole year. He wants to sell it for $6000. It is red, has no dent or scratches and it runs great. It has 46,000 miles on it. My problem is I really want a V-strom 650. My question is: if I should buy this Goldwing for $6000 and ride it say 6 months to a year, could I sell it and possibly get close to $6000 for it? Thanks for any feedback..:?

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Not sure about your area but that bikes value is well over 7k here....so yes i would think that would be a good buy!!!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for your input. I like the bike, but I am reluctant to buy because I might not enjoy it as much as I think I would. That's why if I was pretty sure I could sell it later, I wouldn't be out much money and that would make me and my wife happy. thanks again!

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

That would be a good price around here as well for that bike. I wouldn't be afraid of buying it, I would however be afraid of selling it, not that you can't, and maybe even make a couple of bucks, but I would be afraid I wouldn't want to sell it...........

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

You may be right. The problem is that, the seller dropped his insurance on it. I'm reluctant to ride it very far. I"ve only ridden it about 5 miles. I tried to get some temporary insurance for 3 or 6 months, but I couldn't find any company that would do it. I even tried to buy insurance for it for a year, but I had to own the bike. Kind of a catch 22. If anybody knows of a solution to that, I like to hear from you.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,483 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Site! As far as the resale value on the bike, it should hold it's value for the short time you're talking about.. The REAL question here is what kind of bike do you want/need?? You state that:

"My problem is I really want a V-strom 650."

My opinion is if that's what you want, that's what you should get!! However BE WARNED!!! If you buy the GL1500 and make the mistake oftakingyour wife for a ride and THEN talk of getting rid of it for a crotch rocket wannabe...... :cool::shock::shock:

Let us know what yer address is so we can send flowers and band-aid's!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

can't you give your buddy the money to put short term insurnce on it in his name. i'm thinking you will not like going to a 650 after the 1500. may not look as cool to your poser buddies but the speed and power of the 1500 is way nicer than a 650.
wilf

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

You may be right about the 650. The way y'all are talking, I might as well buy it, get the insurance, ride it and whatever the outcome (like it or not like it), I could easily sell it and get my money back or even more. Sounds like a plan to me!!:cheesygrin:

Thanks,

John

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

That is a good price.

I would say get what you want, and not what you don't want.

I got a 99 se and I will never look back.:cheesygrin:

But, I wanted a GW and so did the BOSS!:kissing:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for the reply. I know I would like the bike. Right now I am riding a 86 GL1200. It also is a friends bike that I repaired for him. Payback is, he's letting me ride and keep it until I find what I want. I may post a picture or 2 of the bike later. I let you know what my decision was later this week.

John

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

wilf wrote:
can't you give your buddy the money to put short term insurnce on it in his name. i'm thinking you will not like going to a 650 after the 1500. may not look as cool to your poser buddies but the speed and power of the 1500 is way nicer than a 650.
wilf
This sounds like a good solution. I'll ask him tomorrow if this will work.

thanks
john

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Buy it. My insurance policy will cover riding another bike....by the way.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I have a 99 that was Motortriked, and I'll tell ya, there is a good chance you will love it as a 2 wheeler! Great engine/trans. All the little problems that can become a nightmare have been fixed. Better shifter forks, clutches,starters,etc.. Other than shceduled maintanance getting caught up, it is a very dependable bike. The weak point in my opinion is, the alternator is junk. It can be beefed up very well, however. I'd consider the cost of a timing belt change as well. Good luck with it, and hope you like it! That is a fair price for a nice 99SE. Wish I had the fastest color,too! (or pearl white)! jimsjinx

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd advise going the other route. If you've been wanting a V Strom get one. Until you've tried one you'll never know if a 'Wing is what you wanted or what you settled for. Get the V Strom, another 'Wing will come along.

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

If you have a wife or SO… have them sit on the passenger seats of both bikes and then let them tell you what bike to buy.

My wife and I had been riding a CB900F. After 2 kids and a few years of limited riding (me solo for the most part) we started trying to ride together again. Strange thing…. the seat had shrunk!!

Actually it was the good cooking she does but I won't swear to that. I was working on a buddies 1500 and we took it for a ride (I asked if it was ok) and she fell in love with it.

The hook was set and all I had to do was reel her in.

By the way… the Kelly Blue Book: Hi is $7985 and low is $5520. This doesn't take into account for any accessories. So $6k is pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

xmotondurorider wrote:
You may be right. The problem is that, the seller dropped his insurance on it. I'm reluctant to ride it very far. I"ve only ridden it about 5 miles.
5 miles is enough to to decide, especially as you are already riding a 1200 Wing and know what they handle like. You can't go wrong ay $6000 for that low miles 1500.Don't sit on the fence too long, someone else could buy itbefore you.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

I just sold my 99 SE for 7500. and it had 80000 miles on it and the guy that bought it was tickled to death to get it. But it was in A1 shape even the tires were new. So that is a great price

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

xmotondurorider wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I know I would like the bike. Right now I am riding a 86 GL1200. It also is a friends bike that I repaired for him. Payback is, he's letting me ride and keep it until I find what I want. I may post a picture or 2 of the bike later. I let you know what my decision was later this week.

John
There really is no comparison between the 1986 GL1200 and the GL1500! I bought my GL1500 and sold my 86 GL1200 only two weeks later!

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

xmotondurorider wrote:
I have this friend with a 99 GL1500 SE. He has quit riding.....barely put 200 miles the whole year. He wants to sell it for $6000. It is red, has no dent or scratches and it runs great. It has 46,000 miles on it. My problem is I really want a V-strom 650. My question is: if I should buy this Goldwing for $6000 and ride it say 6 months to a year, could I sell it and possibly get close to $6000 for it? Thanks for any feedback..:?
[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome xmotondurorider[/align]
[align=center]Buy it!:action:[/align]

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
imported post

Buy the GW and if you don't like it let me know, I'll come get it.

I was riding an 85 and 86 GL1200 too and decided I wanted a newer ride as did the Mrs. Bought the 1500 in Mar and sold both 1200's in May this year. 6K for a 99SE with 46k miles is a very decent price as long as there aren't any issues with the engine or drive train.

We have never looked back or regreted the new wing, the only thing I wanted different was the ability to play an MP3 and Sierra Electronics took care of that issue for $117.00.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.