Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It's time to get a new battery for my 78 Wing. Lots of choices! Any thoughts and comments as to type, style etc are welcomed . Tim

:cool:Happy New Year :leprechaun:

:11black::11black: :11black:

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

Myself, I would go for a sealed maintenance free battery instead of a vented one just to keep from having to keep an eye on the water level.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

Yuasa is the best but expensive. Walmart stocks batteries that will fit and they hold up very well. I've been running them for many years.

Q

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I have thought about a sealed battery, but have never done it. I seem to always go back to an Interstate Cycletron. They last 3 to 5 years in my goldwings and never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

most wings i've seen are running Wal-marts battery and they seem to last pretty nice for the 45 bucks they are worth. :)if u want the best battery get the odyssey dry cell

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

I've always run diehards 28yrs on my 81 gl1100 and had good luck, 3+ yrs on them until I got a battery tender jr's and I get 4 + yrs. on a them for $53+ a battery. As far as maintance free , they are good too but pricey. Do like I do, check tire presure once a week and all fluids as well. A good practice.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

When I had my 83 1100 it would leak acid on the exhaust causing the exhaust to be discolored. The battery held up good but that broke me from a wet cell battery. I always use the maintenance free sealed battery now.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm thinking maintence free is sounding pretty good. I like not having to check the fluid level. What about CCAs and amp hours. Is more better? Tim

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I just bought a sealed Interstate with 360 CCA for just over $100. I think that is more CCA than most batteries.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

WalMart did well for me. I don't check it that often. *maybe* with every third oil change.

It's under $50. F*ck it.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
imported post

Just picked up my new " Yuasa" maint. free batt. today. 95 bucks out the door!! Will put my new plug wire and caps on this week end. Just got to get rid of this snow to check it out!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Check the battery every month or 600 Miles in the book

Thats why I went with the Oddyssey

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

There should have been a vent tube to prevent that.

Q

LUV2WING wrote:
When I had my 83 1100 it would leak acid on the exhaust causing the exhaust to be discolored. The battery held up good but that broke me from a wet cell battery. I always use the maintenance free sealed battery now.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Q wrote:
There should have been a vent tube to prevent that.

Q

LUV2WING wrote:
If the vent tube is routed wrong, and the bike left parked on the side-stand you can still get the exhaust stain. (mine looks awful) That's why I also went to a sealed battery. Power-Max :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i'm thinking of putting a new battery on mine,

can any one tell the number of the oddyssey battery in need please

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

Yo *******

I just put one in my 1100... An Odyssey PC680. You can also get the metal jacketed one (PC680MJ).

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

cheers paul, been looking at them but wasnt sure what the mj stood for

thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
imported post

My Batteries for both of my wings are sealed and got them from Auto Zone for $80 ea most part stores carry them

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

I've mentioned this before but I had 2 1100s, one came with a new Yuasa and the other a Wal Mart everstart that was totally dead, sitting for who knows how long. The batteries were identical in every way except the name on the side and the Yuasa failed in less than a year and the Wal Mart is still working as far as I know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.