Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It's time to change all of the brake pads on my 1984 GL 1200 A Aspencade. I've looked around on the net, and I've seen several different types of pads at a wide variety of prices.. I'm not planning on running in the 24 hours of Daytona, but I would like to have a good set of binders on my bike.. What type of brakes do most of you run, and where did you buy them???

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Chester Gunn/Chula, GA

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

gidday,

I have just installed EBC brake pads on my 86 aspy, they work well, I had an occasion, to really hall them on, when a cager, stopped dead in the middle of the road, and they pulled me up well.

In saying that, a friend had them put on his 1500, and they needed replacing after 5000 miles.

If you go to EBC it might pay to keep an eye on them for premature wear.

good luck

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

I am also wanting new pads.
Metal or Kevlar?
Some are solid and some have slices cut in them.
Does the brand matter?
Are the ones on E-Bay ok?

But first I need to stop a fork oil leak. Seals have been replaced twice,
so it is getting time to try replacing other parts or getting a used set of forks.
Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I'm using the EBC Organic Kevlar brake pads on everything but my CBR-RR. They're great on the Wings. If someone's having pad issues in 5000 miles I'd expect there would be caliber problems or bad braking habits not bad brake pads.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Jsalpha2 wrote:
I am also wanting new pads.
Metal or Kevlar?
Some are solid and some have slices cut in them.
Does the brand matter?
Are the ones on E-Bay ok?

But first I need to stop a fork oil leak. Seals have been replaced twice,
so it is getting time to try replacing other parts or getting a used set of forks.
Wish me luck.
Good luck to you my friend.. I too need to address my fork seal issues, but they haven't gotten quite so bad yet...but I do have the replacement seals in hand.I've just got to work up the nerve to tackle the job..and that will come..

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Been reading all the problems with EBC brakes. I also like OEM pads on whatever the vehicle, but the main thing with brakes is just every once in awhile do more than just slip new pads in. Completely clean and rebuild the calipers, make sure the caliper pistons work freely as with time and as that last set of pads you wear out , do wear, the pistons tend to stick, you shove them back and slip in new pads and they are so dirty and sticky that the new pads wear out in just a few miles. So you do have to service the calipers every once in awhile.

Kit

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

It seems logical to shine the pistons& replace the seals with every pad change. Otherwise, one may need to cut the caliper apart, drill & tap for new bolts.

It should cost about $20. per rotor to do it all since the rotors can't be turned on Goldwings.......just replaced at $120-170 each.

A little caliper care is a good investment of pocket change& light work. Tires & brakes arethe first piorities of a safe ride. :action:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.