Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, I Purchased a 84 GL 1200A Goldwing last year and I am going to change the oil and antifreeze but I was wondering what is the best oil to put back into it??? Also, do I use regular car antifreeze or do I need something special??

Thanks, Jay

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
imported post

You need to use a non silicate antifreeze and oil is a hot subject. As long as it's a non energy conserving oil it is OK. Many use diesel oil, some use synthetic and some use motorcycle oil, it's just up to you.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
You need to use a non silicate antifreeze and oil is a hot subject. As long as it's a non energy conserving oil it is OK. Many use diesel oil, some use synthetic and some use motorcycle oil, it's just up to you.
Well said.:cooler:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

yes that kind of antifreeze...and oil??...how much $$you got?
and how nuerotic are you?

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Honda Type 2 car antifreeze is same as bike. Avalible at Hionda car dealership. Just bought a gallon last week. $16.80. Oil is a big can of worms. I prefer motorcycle 4 stroke oil. But that is me.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
imported post

Yes the oil is a big can of worms, just be sure itsdesigned for use in a wet clutch system as most dino and synthetic motorcycle oils are. The wrong oil can severly effect the clutch, youdon't want to be doing a clutch change anytime soon.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

lots of members here are reporting good results with delo 400 from wally world. I was using 15 w 40 diesel oil because of the high detergent level.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Until you become more knowledgeable I would stick with a 10-40 motorcycle oil and the Honda Antifreeze. That's what these bikes came out with.

One can always experiment with oil at a later date. A lot of hipe on types of oil but you can't go wrong with following manufacture's recommendations.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

I use bmw or mercedez antifreeze. Will back up the diesel oil part. They are good at cleaning engines particually if the PO was not that good at changes. If you change yours and it goes black in 1000 miles then get some diesel oil and this will clean her insides up nicely. I use the colour of the oils on my changes to give an indication of whats going on, similar to plug colour. If oil is black on mine at change something is wrong. I change every 2500 miles oil and filter.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Use a good 4 stroke motorcycle oil such as Valvoline which has superior wet clutch protection. I currently have Valvoline 10W-40 in my '83 Interstate. The Honda Type 2 silicate free antifreeze is prediluted and ready to use and is cheaper to buy it by the gallon at your local Honda auto dealer than at your local motorcycle shop where it is sold by the quart.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

For what it's worth, I used Cheron Delo 400, a SuperTec oil filter, and Prestone Extended life anti-freeze in my 85 and 86 GL1200's. All available at Wal-Mart.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:The chart below is from the '80-'83 Honda GoldWing Service Manual which shows what weight oil you can use in you GL1100.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks to all that replied.. I will run up to Honda and get the type 2 silicate free antifreeze.. I will run up the cycle shop and get some 10/40 oil for right now..

Goldtop--- I will do just what you said-- I will change the oil and check it after 1000 just to see how it looks, I can always change it then and put a different oil in it to clean it up.

The previous owner did not do much to the bike. I spent quite a bit of time rewiring and having other issues worked out.. It is a very good running bike though..

Thanks again to all...

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

if you think that the inside of your engine is dirty, pour 4 ounces of sea foam into your crank case & run your bike. Than change your oil after a few hours of engine operation.

Sea foam is not a solvent. it is an oil that is designed to turn dry carbon deposits back into liquid form so it can be trapped by the oil filter. It will help your starter clutches, your tranny clutches, it will help your rings & it will scrub out your oil galleries. It is a good preventative maintenance step!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks for the tip.. I just bought some sea foam. A neighbor of mine said to use some in the fuel tank to clean up the carbs. I will use some in the engine as well. I am sure that the oil did not get changed often.

The man I bought the bike from stated that he had only serviced the bike a couple of times in the 10 years that he owned it. I spent alot of time getting it back into driving condition and now I amchanging all oils (engine, Brake fluids, etc.) and also flushing and refilling the radiator with the proper antifreeze.. I am trying to learn how to do it myself and what to look for when doing maintenance..

Thanks again for the tips and help... all is appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

I would stay away from DINO-oil, such as delo 400, just because your Goldwing deserves the best, go to the dealer, and pay the big bucks for the best oil and radiator fluid.
You paying for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I been using the same type of oil in all my bikes for the last 30+ years, and never had any problems. Castrol GTX 20-50. I currently use it in my 87 GL1200 and MotoGuzzi.

Also, +1 on Seafoam.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Careful with the Sea Foam, a little goes a long way. Follow the manufactures recommendations. You can go to their site.

You can actually mix up your own Sea Foam if you wish. Somebody posed the contents off a hazardous goods data sheet on one of these motorcycle sites. The main component in Sea Foam appears to be naptha gas ( stuff you use in camping stoves).

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Armo wrote:
I would stay away from DINO-oil, such as delo 400, just because your Goldwing deserves the best, go to the dealer, and pay the big bucks for the best oil and radiator fluid.
You paying for peace of mind.
:waving:There is no need to go to the dealer to buy motorcycle oil.Stores like Schucks, Checker, and Kragen have Valvoline and Castrol motorcycle oil @ $3.99 per quart. For antifreeze go to your local Honda auto dealer and buy the Honda Type 2 coolant which comes in gallon quantities and is prediluted ready to use and is cheaper than buying it in quart containers at your local Honda Motorcyle Dealer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.