Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had the pleasure of riding through the mountains of Tennessee, North Carolina and Georgia last week and was in total heaven for the whole time. We stayed in the little town of Murphy N.C. and got to ride through Deals Gap and the Cherehola (sp) Skyway and a lot of backroads in the area. The scenery and roads are all first class with little traffic to get in the way of your ride. Deals gap is totally amazing with a total of 318 turns in 11 miles! Not for the faint of heart at all but completely exhillerating! I saw pics of wings dragging their pegs and engine guards in the turns! The Skyway is another awesome but somewhat less demanding ride through the mountains with lots of scenic overlooks and great sweeping turns through the forest with lots of elevation changes. There are even some waterfalls on the backroads that are worth the effort to find. I know there are probably some better roads around the country but this is the closest thing to total nirvanathat I have ever experienced. I didn't want to come home ever!! We logged over 700 miles (all 2 up) in 6 days of riding with one of them curtailed by rains. I would definitely recommend this area for anybody looking for an awesome area to just do some touring and sightseeing. Where have you ridden that you would recommend to others?

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Tracy and I just did the parkway plus the skyline drive this past July for our 10 anny and we loved every minute of it. We logged about 2300 miles in a week and met some great folks on here too:clapper:

Ride Safe, Ray:waving:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I've done the Parkway twice, the Alaskan twice, The Natchez Trace, California Rt 1, most of Nova Scotia, and Susten, Firkka, Grimsel, and Olberalp Pass in Switzerland.....

my favorite ride?

the one I do tomorrow........

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Beat me to it. The one I take tomorrow.......

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

I would have to agree 1WingMan4U,

The NC/Tenn border area is spectacular. October '08 we (wife, wife's bro and his wife) trailered our bikes to South Carolina. On the way we stopped there and rode the "Dragon" and assorted side roads. Alas, we had to get the bikes back on the trailer and head for Folly Beach. :)

I didn't have my Wing yet, so we were on my '84 CB650SC Nighthawk. What a blast!!! Here's a pic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
imported post

1WINGMAN4U wrote:
I had the pleasure of riding through the mountains of Tennessee, North Carolina and Georgia last week and was in total heaven for the whole time. We stayed in the little town of Murphy N.C. and got to ride through Deals Gap and the Cherehola (sp) Skyway and a lot of backroads in the area. The scenery and roads are all first class with little traffic to get in the way of your ride. Deals gap is totally amazing with a total of 318 turns in 11 miles! Not for the faint of heart at all but completely exhillerating! I saw pics of wings dragging their pegs and engine guards in the turns! The Skyway is another awesome but somewhat less demanding ride through the mountains with lots of scenic overlooks and great sweeping turns through the forest with lots of elevation changes. There are even some waterfalls on the backroads that are worth the effort to find. I know there are probably some better roads around the country but this is the closest thing to total nirvanathat I have ever experienced. I didn't want to come home ever!! We logged over 700 miles (all 2 up) in 6 days of riding with one of them curtailed by rains. I would definitely recommend this area for anybody looking for an awesome area to just do some touring and sightseeing. Where have you ridden that you would recommend to others?
You need to do some riding in West Virginia.......!!

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

My "best ride(s)" so far have involved primarily near misses,usuallyapproaching triple digit and beyond, and eachhaving their comparable memories;though never on the 'Wing.

Riding my 'Wing is different from riding my other bikes in that I'm more serene, calmand laid-back while riding it. My GLOE Effect. I'm an aggressive rider. I still take it all in, I just take it in differently while on the 'Wing. Everywhere is all-good on the 'Wing.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

The one I'm on.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,824 Posts
imported post

Go West young man go West! Anywhere in the West. North West South West doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I have to agree that just about any ride on a wing is a good one.....but the mountains really made it great for us. West Virginia is an area that appeals to me as well as Vermont. I will get out there as much as I can and ride it like I stole it..

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
Beat me to it. The one I take tomorrow.......
my thought was "the most recent one..."

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I have to say I do love the Oldwing. I get alot of comps from other riders on bikes 10X worth more than my 26yo bike. They always say,"I used to have one of those,great bikes". Heres a low res proof from Killboy.com of my recent visit to the Dragon. I always have a great time there even if they do over rate it. Fun place.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

Beartooth pass.... from Red Lodge Montana to Cook City Wyoming.... breathtaking.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with Beartooth Pass. This picture was in the middle of July!

!

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Blue Ridge Parkway is tied for first with Beartooth though!!

!

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

I think it is a lot like sex-the worst is wonderful!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

I've got a lot of rides on my 'Bucket List', including BRP (going to do it again in Sept for the first time since '86:action:), the #1 down the California coast, Beartooth Pass, #12 in Idaho, #20 across Washington, King's Canyon & Yosemite National Parks, the Mississippi from headwaters in Minn to the Gulf of Mexico, the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia. But the one that still makes me shiver with wonder is the one I call my 'Continental Divide Ride'. I crossed the Continental Divide in 4 different places and then basically rode the crest of the Divide through the Columbia Icefields into Jasper. On an '86 Interstate. In one day.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=St+Mary+&1s=MT&2c=Lake+Mcdonald&2s=MT#a/maps/l:::Saint+Mary:MT::US:48.7439:-113.428596:city:Glacier+County:1/l:::Lake+McDonald:MT::US:48.6208:-113.870796:city:Flathead+County:1/l:::Whitefish:MT::US:48.411098:-114.3367:city:Flathead+County:1/l:::Fernie:BC::CA:49.50948:-115.06295:city:East+Kootenay:1/l:::Longview:AB::CA:50.531212:-114.230972:city:Alberta:1/l:::Edgewater:BC::CA:50.69878:-116.130531:city:East+Kootenay:1/l:::Golden:BC::CA:51.294731:-116.963043:city:Columbia-Shuswap:1/l:::Lake+Louise:AB::CA:51.426239:-116.177971:city:Alberta:1/l:::Jasper:AB::CA:52.873638:-118.082649:city:Alberta:1/m::4:50.616924:-115.762498:0:::::1:1:1::/io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e

I've done a couple of Iron Butts over the years, memorable for the pain inflicted but definitely not a 'best ride', but this ride was different. Not an Iron Butt by definition but I'd challenge you to try it and say it's not as intense. And the views and roads are beyond fantastic. You get 5 National Parks (Glacier, Banff, Kootenay, Yoho & Jasper), each of which could be a vacation in itself.
Rode it in mid-week September with very little traffic and nice comfortable early autumn temps. And what a ride. It will always rate as my 'Best Ride', or at least it will until my son gets his ST and we plan to try to do it together in one day. Looking forward to that ride.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.