Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

last night I was checking the wing over for the polar bear ride today, and started it up and let it run for 10 minutes. Well when I went out this am after the temp dropped to 15 overnight, I barely was able to get her running. Iv'e been using delo 15/40 wt so was wondering does anyone else use this wt in the winter?.,,

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

When you say you were barely able to get it running what were the symptoms of that?

Did it not want to crank?
Did it not want to start at all?
Did it start but keep dying?
Was the battery at full charge when you started it?

There are a lot of reasons why a vehicle might be hard to start when it's cold.

Was the bike cooled to 15F or stored in a warmer area?

Thinner oil helps in winter to reduce drag on the parts but other things play into it also.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I stay with 15 w 40 all year but I have a battery tender on the bike hard wired in which I think helps it with a good crank in the cold mornings.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I use Syntec Blend 10w40 in the GL-1200 and 20w50 in the Trophy 1200.

When you say that the temperature was 15 .... uh .... do you mean Celsius? Did you know that water freezes at temperatures like that in Fahrenheit? You certainly don't live where there's freezing temperatures??? eeek!!

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Whale oil

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Hey Phil. Did you have any problems starting her again throughout the day. Was it more evident when the bike sat and cooled during the day.
How old is the starter.
Is the voltage correct.
Maybe the 10 minute run at idle was enough draw on the battery to give you a lower voltage for the morning start.
The wings dont charge well at idle.
Jose

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

to answer most of the questions, the bike is in an unheated garage, it started on Saturday with a few more cranks then when it's warm out,I usually make it idle at 2k rpms so it puts a charge in the battery still the starter seemed really sluggish when cranking, but just when I thought it was all over it started.I'm thinking that if I'm going to use it all winter I may have to use a lighter wt oil.I use a battery tender on my Harley that has a gell mat battery, but don't think a wet cell would do well with one.does anyone use one with a wet cell?.,,

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

WINTER, can someone explain the word to me:cheeky1:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

The lighter oil wt sure won't hurt you any to try and see.
Should help at least a little bit.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Currently here its minus - 32 C centigrade and we have a couple of feet of snow. Colder than h!!l.

Type of oil etc for us not an issue until spring. Your lucky you can ride all year round. A 10-40 weight would work good for your location.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I'm using 15/40 now so don't know if 10/40 can be that much different.Now I'm thinking 10/30 might work better.-32 c, heck we don't even wear gloves if it's that warm around here lol.,,,

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

If you read about oil ratings, 10w30 and 10w40 are the same thickness in cold weather. I don't know if I believe this, but for sure 15w40 is too thick for cold weather starts unless the starter and battery are strong.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I use 10W40 in mine. Sometimes, after a few days in the cold, (And I keep my Wing inside my shed) the battery will go down fast due to the cold and clock and other stuff the battery keeps on. Cold weather can drain a battery fast. I just use a tricke charger at 2 amps per hour.
When I then go to start it, I am at at full choke, my little 1980 GL110 Starts up usually the first time. Remember not to keep the starter engaged for over 5 seconds at a time, wait 15 seconds, then try it again for 5 seconds, wait 15, then 5, etc, until it starts, to keep from burning out the starter.
I try to start my wing daily now, but some days are to cold to go out, (15 degrees is one of them and it may last a few days). If I do not have my trickle charger on, my battery can and will usuallly get below 11.4 amps, and under 11.4 battery amps, it will not start.
Another Idea I sometimes do is to use a 100 watt or IR light in a metal roung worklight under my Wing to keep the block warm if it's going to get really cold. This helps a cold start easier, because the block and oil is usually warm. My shed is unheated, but I have a heater but I do not run it because my shed is not insulated.
I tried Chevron delo 15W30 in mine the past summer, and my shifting got harder, and my neutral light started coming on after about 1500 mikes. I changed back to Mobile 1 10W40, and now it seems to be helping the shifting, and the neutral light is out (When It's supposed to be)
Hope this helps.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Motosickle wrote:
WINTER, can someone explain the word to me:cheeky1:
It's the time of the year when the strawberries have a clear coat on them and the citrus fruit are covered with a silvery coating.

As far as oil is concerned I use the same oil all year but one has to concider the fact that I am not going out on the bike in -12 C

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

I use a battery tender jr. .75amp on my 81 wing and it's a wet diehard that's going on 3 yrs now and it works fine, no issues.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Cold temps - synthetic

We use block heaters up here, trade the tires for tracks and skis and call it a snowmobike. Actually nice day today - minus 29 - windchill put it to minus 40.

For those south of the border that would be minus 20fh and minus 40 is just plain old minus 40fh

Ploar Bear Run............you really have no idea do you?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

You know - we could all be dancing around the real question here. Stop and think........

The question is "what weight oil does everyone use in winter???".

Isn't the answer a resounding 6.8 pounds per gallon?

:)

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Hey Beard, do you know what country new jersey is in?., rgbeard wrote:
I use Syntec Blend 10w40 in the GL-1200 and 20w50 in the Trophy 1200.

When you say that the temperature was 15 .... uh .... do you mean Celsius? Did you know that water freezes at temperatures like that in Fahrenheit? You certainly don't live where there's freezing temperatures??? eeek!!

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

That's a trick-question.

Isn't New Jersey it's own country? :D

(I'll be here all week. Try the fish.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.