66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

wondering what weight rotella oil should or do I need to use in my 1978 gl 1000

·
Administrator
27,785 Posts
imported post

The 15/40 regular or the 5/40 synthetic, either should be fine.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Why Rotella? ... I thought that was primarilly Diesel stuff.

Steve.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

No friction modifiers on the wet clutch. Many swear by Rotella, others like other oils. I just put in Delo 400 from Walmart at $10.50/gal. Works fine for me. 15w40.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

I got about 1000 miles on the delo 15/40 I put in it this spring(w/supertech 7317 filter), seems to be no better or worse than the 10-40 hondaline oil(w/oem filter)that was in it when I bought it last year,ifnothing seems to get worse through this riding season, I'll stick with it.:)

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,517 Posts
imported post

`
I thought Chevron's Delo 400 15w40 was the "only approved" oil for Goldwings :cheeky1:

What ever brand you use, change it out regularly and the engine will give you long life and reliable service.

Just don't use any oil with a friction modifier in it. Bad news for our wet clutches.
:leprechaun:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I went with the Rotella 15/40 when I took my trip last year. 5,700 miles and she shifted smooth the whole way, and never used a drop. She's had a couple changes since and still working smooth, so I'll stick with the Rotella:coollep:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Rotella T full synthetic 5W40, meets motorcycle specifications, holds up under extreme wear conditions. You get the benefit of synthetic oil at a reasonable price. You can buy it at Wal-mart by the gallon or quart.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

I've used 15/40 Rotella in both my 1100 Shadow and 1500SE, along with an ST7317 filter (better than OEM based on dissection comparison of filter elements).

No problems.

Considering a switch to Rotella 5/40 Syn but I change every 3000 miles so it's probably moot. (Moot or cycle?):dude:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.