Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am at least the third owner of a (new to me) 1986 Interstate with 33K miles. The previous owner had little English and I had no Spanish but I understood he bought it at an estate sale. Having read of the electrical issues this model is prone to, I mounted an LCD voltmeter (wired directly to the battery) to the dash and have been watching it for over 1000 miles. The only extra electrical draw is for a pair of Gerbing heated gloves which I use rarely ( < 1%). I have observed idling voltage is always greater than 14V and cruising (3000 rpm) voltage is always fluctuating between 14.7 and 14.9. I am afraid it will "cook" my battery but it has lost no water in 1300 miles - so it doesn't seem that it is. On a related note: I will eventually replace this with an Odyssey (maintenance free) battery. Aren't these batteries more able to tolerate higher voltages?

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

you're right. but have you check the voltage at the battery to confirm thats actually what you have. you're regulator may be bad

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

it just be your volt meter reading a little high, the one i have fitted reads a volt less than my expensive dvm, you cant go wrong with the odyssey battery, i have just fitted the odyssey pc680 and i'm well impressed, i thought i had a starter problem till i changed batteries

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

redneck wrote:
it just be your volt meter reading a little high, the one i have fitted reads a volt less than my expensive dvm, you cant go wrong with the odyssey battery, i have just fitted the odyssey pc680 and i'm well impressed, i thought i had a starter problem till i changed batteries
Hi Redneck!
The onboard LCD voltmeter is not a Honda part and it has always agreed with my Digital VOM as close as 1 tenth of a volt.

Ed

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Does seem to be a bit high, what is the voltage reading you get when you turn on the ignition but not the engine

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's been several years since I've owned a 1200 but I'm thinking that they have three phase charging voltage and any overage bleeds off to ground. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

LUV2WING wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's been several years since I've owned a 1200 but I'm thinking that they have three phase charging voltage and any overage bleeds off to ground. :baffled:
I'm having a similar problem and I understand the regulator is what bleeds it off to ground. Could be his regulator is having a problem too?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

it seems ok to me. my 1200 reads sometimes up to 15 with the digital voltmeter. but so far the battery level is the same.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

derekhendry wrote:
Does seem to be a bit high, what is the voltage reading you get when you turn on the ignition but not the engine
Digital VOM says 12.64, on-board LCD says 12.7.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

FWIW my 1100 reads up to 15v on my meter hardwired straight to my battery. Charges fine, no issues.

My truck's battery reads 14.7v when above idle. Again, no issues.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

On my GL1100, It doesn't start charging until it gets around 1200 to 1500 rpms. It starts to read around 12.5 at 1500 rpms, and anything over 3000rpms reads 14.4. It has never gone over that. I did have to clean my grounds on my battery the other day, because I was getting an eratic reading. Now, It is stable.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

A couple years ago, I put a volt meter on my 1200, and it goes up close to 15v when charging. Guess what? My NAPA battery is still fine, probably 10,000 miles later. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

A 12 volt system runs around 14 volts when charging. Around 15 volts isn't bad. Just check the battery water regularly. If it gets up around 16 volts, then you may have a problem. 16 volts seems to boil the battery, and light bulbs may burn out sooner.

John

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Again please note that anything above 12.7 VDC will assist charging. Your voltage is OK, if that is all you look at but the battery may see this voltage as not enough. Look at the electrolyte, are you losing electrolyte level. If so too much volts and too much current. The battery does not work of voltage alone, it needs an input of current. If the electrolyte level stays good then voltage is not too high, but current is the food of choice for the battery and if current can not be absorbed because the electrolyte has changed to an insulator the voltage will go too high too soon and the amps will be low and the 20 AH battery will be the size of a D cell

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks to all respondees: I am seeing that, generally, I'm OK as long as the electrolyte isn't boiling off and it is not. As a matter of fact, I can't tell any diminuition of the fluid after 3 weeks and 1400 miles at almost 15 volts.

:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Just echoing ARKnapp, the battery will tell you if it's being overcharged. Just check the fluid level, if it isn't dropping everything is okay in Mudville.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
it seems ok to me. my 1200 reads sometimes up to 15 with the digital voltmeter. but so far the battery level is the same.
But William, That is in Mexico!! He is in the U.S.!!! :cheeky1::D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.