Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got a ticket for 86 mph in a 70 zone. I hold a class 1 and motorcycle and tanker, hazmat, doubles. Because I hold a class 1 or truck license I can not go to traffic school and speeding cost two points for me but only one point for a non class 1 driver in California. As a result of that I was required to post a bond to go to trial. that bond cost me $1453. usd due to the class 1 license. A non class 1 driver would have had to post only $235. usd.

So if you are a truck driver you will be charged twice the points on your bike as well as a lot more in fines and bail so don't let the wind spend your hard earned money in California. I went to court and got the charge changed from speeding to coasting.

Coasting in California cost no points on your record and will only cost you $235.usd.

If the officer that citied you will agree to it than the court will allow it, I just asked the officer if I plead guilty to coasting and not contest the ticket will he change the charge and he said ok. It is up to the officer to say ok or not in California. He did not know how much the fine was till after he changed the charge with the judge.

after court he spoke with me outside of the court room and said he did not know how much I had posted before trial and was shocked at the amount.

I recivied a check today for the 1200 bucks back from my bail. Don't think I will chance that ticket again because I won't.

So how much is a speeding ticket in your state??

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Here in Pa the officer can put you over for a DUI and it's up to he (or her) if you need a blood test ( you pay the cost). and if you pass you still pay the the cost. If they want you you they want you.

Hickey :action:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Wisconsin....$160, 70 in a 55, 2 points

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

In AZ, photo radar tickets, $165, no points, but 75% never bother to pay, and out of state drivers, as far as I know don't get photo tickets.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

The missus got done recently for doing 60kph in a 50kph zone . 80 euro and two penalty points , if you decide to go to court to contest it and lose? they double up on the penalties

Eric

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I haven't had a speeding ticket in years; but I have had teenage boys. I think the costs depend on where you were: what county, city, etc. The real cost is not in the ticket; it's in the premium upcharge on insurance.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
imported post

Coasting? Like in coasting down a hill under no power?

Can I use that excuse in NC..? :?

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
imported post

:shock:I hasn't had me any kinda ticket since 2000:waving:

·
Premium Member
62,876 Posts
imported post

I'd like to hear more on Coasting.. I've never heard of that.. Is this something new in CA ?? Is it only for class 1 licenses ???????????

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Generally if its not too much over the speed limit you get 3 points £60 fixed penalty, if you contest it and lose you could get more points or fines, 12 points and you in theory lose your licence. When they first put speed cameras in they were so good at catching people that motorist were losing their licences inside a week, because they used to hide the cameras and anyone say doing 80 on a 70 got clocked both ways coming backwards and forwards to work, 4 times and you are out, so the government said that all cameras needed to be painted luminous yellow and clearly visible as the amount who had lost their licence and jobs had an effect on the economy

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

It's been some time since I got any tickets. In Illinois, less than 15mph over the posted limit is $70 plus $20 for traffic safety school and it's not on your driving record. If you don't pay the $20 for traffic safety school then it's on your driving record, and if you get 2 more tickets in a 12 month period(without traffic safety school), they suspend your license.

The same applies for speeding from 15mph to 25mph over the posted limit, it's an extra $25 or $50, etc etc.

Basically, I guess the message they're conveying is: if you can afford the ticket, go ahead and speed as much as you want or drive as recklesslyasyou want in Illinois. As long as you can pay $90 each time you're caught. Really not the message they need to give drivers, if you ask me.:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

[align=left]Here in BC depends one ticket not bad BUT5 pointsin one year you not only get the fines you lose your safe drivers discount 40% plus add what they call DPP (drivers penalty points) $399

1st ticket can cost you as little as $109 but the next is in the thousand range

194(1)
Operate motorcycle - not on seat
121 (fine)
2( points)

194(3)
Permit unlawfully seated passenger on motorcycle

194(4)
Operate motorcycle - more than two abreast

Improper operation of vehicle on canyon, defile, or on mountain road

Coast down grade illegally

Criminal convictions(driving)EG DUI surcharge[/align]
[align=left]
$905 One time
$320 extra per year

$3,760
$370
$370

$8,160
$430
$430

$14,560
$490
$490

$24,000
$560
$560

$24,000
$640
$640

$24,000
$740
$740

$24,000
$850
$850

$24,000
$980
$980

$24,000
$1,130
$1,130[/align]

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Coasting is letting whatever machine you happen to be on/in roll when not in gear. Normally an infraction reserved for truck drivers except in california.A way to build up mpg going downhill. Not always a good idea,lose control of speed and cannot get tranny back in gear it can be tuff to stop 80,000 lbs going downhill [as in mountains]

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

98Wing-487 wrote:
Coasting? Like in coasting down a hill under no power?

Can I use that excuse in NC..? :?
yes just like coasting down hill.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Foodman wrote:
I'd like to hear more on Coasting.. I've never heard of that.. Is this something new in CA ?? Is it only for class 1 licenses ???????????
no its not new, but is almost never used unless the "offender" knows about it and cops a deal in a court trial. In California a traffic cite is an infraction and not a misdermeaner so you can only have a trial with the officer and the judge not a jury trial. In a court trial you just ask the office that cited you for the deal. He will eather say yes or no to a deal. so I said I would not contest it if he would do the deal, no points and a lot less fine. I think it's the way to go, worked for me twice now in the last 12 years.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
imported post

Iraqi Ram:

I think your info may be a bit out of date. The last ticket (2003) I got for speeding in the land o' Lincoln (IL) cost me $78 for the fine and $35 for the traffic safety course. Also, you can only take the traffic school once every 18 months. If you get another ticket in the 18 months, both tickets go on your driving record. When last I checked, the fine was $78 for 1-20 MPH over the limit. $150 for 20 over up to 100MPH. Triple digits gets you a felony reckless driving charge and license suspension for the first offense.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

ringo00 wrote:
Iraqi Ram:

I think your info may be a bit out of date. The last ticket (2003) I got for speeding in the land o' Lincoln (IL) cost me $78 for the fine and $35 for the traffic safety course. Also, you can only take the traffic school once every 18 months. If you get another ticket in the 18 months, both tickets go on your driving record. When last I checked, the fine was $78 for 1-20 MPH over the limit. $150 for 20 over up to 100MPH. Triple digits gets you a felony reckless driving charge and license suspension for the first offense.
Well, like I said on the first sentence of my post, it's been quite some time since I got a ticket.:action:

thanks for clearing it up.
By the way, feel free to drive through IL again, we need your cash.:action:

·
Premium Member
62,876 Posts
imported post

Thanks, Coasting, I'll have to remember that and see if it works for me....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,135 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
Thanks, Coasting, I'll have to remember that and see if it works for me....
I have had "my attitude" adjusted too many times to try the "see if it works for me" advice. :action:

Cruise Control has become my best friend :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.