Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I debating getting a set of these wings for my 1500SE to get a better airflow during daytime and deflect some air at night. Which ones do you guys recommend? Does someone make them in chrome? Does someone make some that can be painted? How do they affect airflow for the passenger?

Just for the record, I will have a very low cut windshield during the summer and an XXL F-4 for my long trips.

Your experience and input is highly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I have a set of Baker clear handwings and I would not want to be without them.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

I have this set in red ( no longer offered) . I would think either the clear of smoked would look good on your white bike . I dont see why you couldn't paint them though . I currently have the upper section off my bike because I broke one of them:sadguy:. I seldom adjust them . blocking cold in the winter and venting in the summer . Oh wait how can I tell the difference in Fl ?

GL1500 Air Wings with Uppers

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I have the Baker fairing wings and the hand wings. Both are needed in the heat and great at deflecting the cold away.

Chrome, I saw a Vaulkrye that had chrome, looked the same as Baker lowers but he had someone bend the chrome to match the wing shape.

Paint, you can paint plastic.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

I have a set of hand wings on my '97 and find them more than adequate. When its cold out I also stuff those blasted little vents by the mirrors that are suppose to flow air behind the windshield and prevent the vacuum effect.

I had a set of Wind Wings on my '86 and really didn't like the look.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Kim ..... as you can see, I have the Baker Built Hand Wings and the Baker Built Upper and Lower Air Wings on my bike. .....

They work great. The Hand Wings work very well in blocking cold air from your hands and when opened up, bring in a nice supply of cooling air to the upper portion of your body!

As for the Air Wings that attach to the main fairing of the bike, I can't say as I notice that they do anything for additional cold/wet protection, but they are great at bringing in cooling air when you open them up.

As for looks .... you either hate 'em or like 'em. They do give your bike a fairly distinctive look though. For me, it's not about looks, it's strictly function over form and there's definitely more function, than form.:smiler:

That's the good ... now here's the 'Bad' that has been gained through my 4 yrs/150,000k experience with them

1) - If you go with the Baker Built, be sure and order the'New Generation' plastics versions. Here's why. - In the fall of 09, I flew back to BC to pick up my bike loaded down with camping gear needed for the trip back to Ontario. On the ride back and en route toNASSIR 2, I was camping in the Lost Creek campground at Crater Lake N.P. On the way down to the campground for the 1st time, I was just toolin along the roughroad (maybe 25mph) when I hit a very large/severe (and hidden) frost heave, which almost catapulted me out of my seat. Shortly after, I noticed a crack in my one lower Air Wing, that emanated from one of the mounting holes, which gradually spread since then. Then, this past summer, en route to NASSIR 4, I cracked all 3 other ones, merely by opening/closing them. Seems the sun's UV rayshas takenit's toll on the plastic. :lash:

Since I really liked how they brought in cooling air, I decided to purchase a completely new set of upper and lower Air Wings directly from the Baker Built 'factory, in Ohio City, OH., as I would be riding within 'striking distance', on my return ride out to the coast a little later on. We'll see how long the "New Generation" ones last. The Hand Wings, which I bought/attached at the same time, are still going strong though.

2) - If you do go with the Baker Built Air Wings, make sure you apply some blue Gel thread locker to the DAMHIKT!

3) -Adjustability -I find you have to get the 'tension' of the nut/nylon washer that connect to the angle brackets just right, in order for the wings to stay in their position when you have them opened, or else a semi's 'bow wake', or hitting highly illegal speeds will force them into a 'wide open' position and you have to reposition them. Can be quite annoying until you get it right.

Aside from the cracking and resulting replacement cost for those cracked panels in the 'New Generation' plastic version ($78+) I am quite happy with their performance and at least they do sell replacement parts, .... however, ....if I were in the market to buy a similar product today, such as yourself, I would be taking a darn hard look at the Show Chrome ones that Alex referred to, as they might be a 'longer living' product. I'd definitely go with the Hand Wings though, just see if you can get them in the 'New Generation' plastic. :baffling:

Sorry for being long winded, but that's just me! ;)

Dusty

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I have the Baker Wings on my Valk and I love them. I can adjust air flow up or down, all or none to suit weather conditions and temps.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
imported post

Hey Dusty,

Thanks for that writeup. The PO put Wind Wings on my scoot and they seem to work well for me in the cold, we'll see how summer works out. I might go with the hand wings at some point as I find just my ring and pinkie finger on each hand getting cold when riding and not sure I want the cost of electric gloves.

Nice pix there as well, I always like to see good pix of bikes and their owners in far away and exotic places (like Ontario) :^)

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

Dusty I took a photo in almost that exact spot at Castle Mountain. I am up there a few times a year with the Wing. That 1A ride is nice and slow so you can see lots.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Bravo wrote:
Hey Dusty,
Nice pix there as well, I always like to see good pix of bikes and their owners in far away and exotic places (like Ontario) :^)
You're kidding right? Or you haven't met Dusty yet, have you? Try and catch a pic of him actually IN Ontario. I'm betting that pic was taken somewhere near Banff, AB. Am I right Dusty?

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I agree with Dusty's write-up completely, with one small exception that likely won't matter to you. I do find they offer a little more protection from the cold wind too. As you might have noticed from all of my pictures of my bike on the scavenger hunt thread :ROFL:, I have the Baker wings same as Dusty only blue. I love the color choices but like Dusty, getting them to hold position in the open position can be a pain. I carry a box end wrench with me to periodically snug the top nut so they will hold in place. My buddy Greg has the show chrome version and his always hold in place with the nice big adjusting knob they have. They apparently used to come in colors but don't seem to now.
Big Bike Parts

The baker built handwings I love.

John

·
Site Sponsor
24 Posts
imported post

For the record, the Baker wings still come in orange, red, blue, teal, purple, yellow, light smoke as well as the dark smoke and clear that we have in stock. They can be ordered in any of those colors. I love mine!

Thanks, Gary

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
Bravo wrote:
Hey Dusty,
You're kidding right? Or you haven't met Dusty yet, have you? Try and catch a pic of him actually IN Ontario. I'm betting that pic was taken somewhere near Banff, AB. Am I right Dusty?

That's right, Lawrence ... Hodgy (above) nailed it square on the head.

That photo of me filling up at the Castle Junction gas station was taken by no other than our very own Winger77, when we were doing a little bit of snoopin around the area, while en route to NASSIR 4, in Port Orchard.

In that photo, I believe we just got back from riding the Ice Fields Parkway to Jasper and back and were filling up the bikes so we could have a straight shot from our campground at Johnston Canyon, to south of Revelstoke, BC, to our next camp siteat Summit Lake PP campground, near Nakusp, BC., in the West Kootenays.

As we were leaving the Johnston Canyon campground early the next morning, right at the campground boundary, two cars in our lane were stopped, so I just had to ride into the oncoming lane to get around them and this 'little fellow' that they had stopped to watch. :D

Hodgy ... whenever I route someone through Banff, I always stress to them to get off the Trans Canada Highway (Hwy 1) and travel the Bow Valley Pkwy (1A), as it is a lot more scenic/relaxing and far more liable to see wildlife there,than out on the rat race that is the TCH.

Lawrence ... don't forget, Ontario is a large Province andit can take 3 days to ride north out of Ontario, around the Great Lakes, to Manitoba,so there is plenty of riding to do right here ...... when I'm not in other areas of North America. :coollep:

Cheers,Ken

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

richr wrote:
if your wing wants to take a nap .does it do any thing to the air wings..thanks rich

Not unless your foot gets caught up in them while trying to get out of the way when you stall it while doing very tight figure 8s, while doing veryslow speed maneuvers in front of other members of your riding group during the class! Even then, I just popped a small screw loose from partway down the bracket.

Actually .... my 'Ole Girl has taken a couple of naps. :ssshh:

The Air Wings themselves suffered no damage.

Wish I could say that about my pride! :laughing:

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Cyclemax wrote:
For the record, the Baker wings still come in orange, red, blue, teal, purple, yellow, light smoke as well as the dark smoke and clear that we have in stock. They can be ordered in any of those colors. I love mine!

Thanks, Gary
Thanks for clearing that up . I only saw the clear/dark option when I clicked on color . Did I miss the other options ? Also do you carry /sell just the replacement plastics ?

mike

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I have been looking at the baker air wings for some time, and just purchased the hand wings. I'm curious about the clearance with the lower air wings when stretching out your legs on the front highway pegs.:baffled:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

MG55 wrote:
I have been looking at the baker air wings for some time, and just purchased the hand wings. I'm curious about the clearance with the lower air wings when stretching out your legs on the front highway pegs.:baffled:
Depends on where the pegs are mounted, how much your legs are bent when on the pegs. Where mine are mounted the wind wings get in the way a little. If I had them mounted farther forward then my legs would be straighter when on the highway pegs and the wind wings would not interfere at all.

John

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Great writeups, thanks a lot guys.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.