Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All
I just picked up a 94 GL1500. I am 6'4" . The bike has a tall windscreen. I am not sure which model screen but the top of the screen is at my eye level. So I have 2 problems with it. First, the wind hits my helmet instead of going over my helmet. Second problem is that the screen is just at eye level so I am looking at the top edge of the screen. Any recommendations ?
Thanks
Drew

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

If you want a taller windshield do a search for "Tulsa windshields". If you want it shorter search this site for cutting down a windshield. I have the same problem and I plan to cut mine down a little, would rather look over it and hunker down a little if I have to for rain or whatnot.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

I'm pushing 6'3" and I just purchased a show chrome tall shieldand installed it at the highest adjustable setting, works PERFECTLY! I think the shield is 3.5" over stock...Sitting normal I'm looking through the screen, no turbulence etc.... if I sit up really straight I can peak over the top should rain/fog etc... cause havoc. I know that F4 custom shields has a +2 and +4 shield, VERY scratch resistant, cost a pretty penny. The Tulsa Tall shields are pretty impressive, along with Cee Bailey, lots of good oversize/tall shield options :)
-Daniel

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

The Tulsa tilts back towards the rider...easy to hit your face/helmet while mounting or dismounting. I just bought a Cee Bailey +4". So far it is realy good for pushing the wind over my head - and it was half the price of the F4 Custom.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/honda/gl1500ws.html

I also got a coupon code from Dusty Boots for 10% off. I don't know if it will still work, but if anyone wants a Cee Bailey, PM me and I'll share it.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Tell me what you think of the screen after you cut it and how much you cut off. I am trying to get the stock screen from the guy I bought the bike from. If I get it then I will cut it down. I am thinking I will want to look over the screen. In Seattle we get a lot of rain (Seattle sunshine) and it is easier to wipe my helmet then the screen while riding.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

I cut down mine last year. Before I cut it the top was directly in my line of sight. I don't like looking thru the windshield so I cut mine down about 2 inches. It still blocks the wind and now I look over it. Much better at least for me.
I followed the instructions found on this forum. Made a cardboard template of the original top curve then used it to trace the same shape where I was going to cut it. Used a fine tooth jig saw blade and several layers of blue painters tape on both sides so the saw would not scratch it. After I cut it I used fine sandpaper to smooth out the rough edge then removed the tape. It came out real nice. can't tell it was cut.
If you can't find the instructions here send me a PM. Have them saved.

Steve G

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Sorry ... I forgot to say I cut it right on the bike. It was easier than trying to hold it on a workbench while cutting it.

Steve G

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
imported post

I'm 6"2' I think...I'm using a stock windshield...lowest setting for sunny days...

highest setting for the rain...works for me.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

The screen in your Avatar looks like a Tulsa to me, they have an acute slope and as mentioned they tend to hit the rider in the head or face if not used to it.

I would certainly recommend the Cee Bailey Screens, I loved mine on my 1500.

Probably the majority of riders, prefer to be able to peer over the screen, especially in poor weather conditions.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
imported post

That appears to be a Tulsa to me with the steep rake back angle. Do you find yourself whacking your helmet on the windshield getting on the bike?

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

When i bought my 1500 it had a +2 memphis shades shield on it, so because im tall(6'2") like you i bought a slipstreamer tourshield(like a tulsa) that was 34" tall. Hated it, turbulence around my head and especially passengers was terrible.sold it to another member on here and went back to the memphis. much better in the wind and am debating on whether to get one of the +4 memphis shields instead and try it out.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Yep, I would put money on it that is a Tulsa and there are owners that love 'em and those who hate 'em.

The Cee Bailey screens are far more upright and can be purchaced at least +4" taller than standard, which sometimes suits taller riders, like yourself.

If you find a screen is too tall for you, it is pretty simple to cut it down with a Dremel typle machine with a cutting disc in it. I have cut a few down now without problem.

I am not sure the Tulsa would be good cut down, because the slope may mean that rain would be sprayed at the face with the wind passing over the surface.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

try a PM to rudy. He has tried and suceeded with a rubber lip on the top of the screen.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I agree that the slope might be a problem even if it was shorter. I hope the guy I bought the GW will ship be the stock screen. It is sounding like I might be better with the stock screen. Also this will allow me to sell this screen and buy another if needed.
Thanks for all the feedback.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.