Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm getting real close to an Oil change (mileage), & it is real close to the end of riding for the year. Would it make much, if anydifference if I changed the oil now, orthefirst thing in the Spring?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
imported post

Change the oil now ,why let the gunk in the dirty oil settle out in your engine. Worm it up , do the old hot oil change .and get the fresh stuff in there for the winter

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Used oil, IMO, is full of acids and contaminants. I would spend the few dollars needed for a fresh oil and filter change. Not alot of money to get all that out before the long winter rest. Even a cheap oil would be better than old oil, or so it would seem to me. Happy winter to ya! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
Used oil, IMO, is full of acids and contaminants. I would spend the few dollars needed for a fresh oil and filter change. Not alot of money to get all that out before the long winter rest. Even a cheap oil would be better than old oil, or so it would seem to me. Happy winter to ya! jimsjinx
+1 on the new oil. I'd equate it to clean underwear. Wouldn't you rather go to bed with fresh clean ones on than the ones you almost didn't make it to the bathroom on? (Just messing with ya)

Later,

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

Brew wrote:
jimsjinx wrote:
+1 on the new oil.  I'd equate it to clean underwear. Wouldn't you rather go to bed with fresh clean ones on than the ones you almost didn't make it to the bathroom on? (Just messing with ya)

That's just wrong in so many ways. But I gotta agree with the analogy.

Later,
:ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if you're going to park the bike the whole winter, when you winterize the bike, change the oil and do not turn her back on again. the oil will remain fresh to be used in the spring for the season.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

and just for fun put some of that old oil in a tall closed glass jar and set it on the shelf for the winter... you'd be surprised what the filter misses and what will settle out in a few months... I did that intending to send it for analysis, but forgot.. amazing the crud on the bottom of the jar in the spring.. like others said.. change it now (while the crud is in suspension)

edit: crud not crude

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Yep, change it now.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I would change the oil too, but i WOULD start her up after changing the oil, if nothing else to circulate the clean oil, and put a coating of fresh oil through the motor. If you just pour in new oil, you'll still have some old oil puddling in certain areas.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Brew wrote:
+1 on the new oil. I'd equate it to clean underwear. Wouldn't you rather go to bed with fresh clean ones on than the ones you almost didn't make it to the bathroom on? (Just messing with ya)

Later,

I gotta' remember that comparison...:ROFL::ROFL: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

it really dosent matter now or later just start it up and get the oil moving a bit before you drain it

its whatever you want to do, i put my bike away for the winter yeah the oil needs changed but it will not hurt it one bit to sit for the winter months

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
Used oil, IMO, is full of acids and contaminants.
I'm with JJ, without question. Continue your maintenance schedule and change it out. IMO and ideally, you'd want to change it out anyway for a Winter lay-up. You never know what could happen in the mean-time. That lay-up could turn into years for some unforeseen reason. I've bought man-a-bike that way... Keep yourself or the next guy a step ahead of the "revival" come Spring or thereabouts.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Brew wrote:
jimsjinx wrote:

Later,
:ROFL: What If I ware my birthday suit to bed?:ssshh::ROFL::action:

Thanks for everybody's opinion, I will change it this week, then go for a short ride so the fresh oil can circulate though out the engine.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

If you go for a short ride you are back to square one as far as oil turning changing its PH (acidity). Same as warming it up several times during the winter. What I WOULD do is crank it a good 4 to 5 times 5 seconds each with a 10 seconds cooling in between cranks, with the kill switch on the OFF position, That should get the oil pumps turtning just enough, without having exhaust fumes.

I said WOULD because I ride year round, except snow, ice or salt. So I'm not a "weinterizing" expert, just my humble opinion.

Gil

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Bufallowing wrote:
What I WOULD do is crank it a good 4 to 5 times 5 seconds each with a 10 seconds cooling in between cranks, with the kill switch on the OFF position,
I'm not sure about the 1500 but on the 1800 the starter will not even crank over with the kill switch set to "OFF"

Warm up the engine, change the oil, be happy.....

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
imported post

on my 1500 the engine won't turn over with kill switch turned to kill postion either

:bow:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Just ride it with the oil that's in there now.
Come time to store it, start it up to warm up the oil, then change it and the filter out with fresh oil and filter. Start/run bike to make sure your oil level is correct and shut it down and leave it. Put battery tender on it and leave it alone until spring.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

You live further south than me. Don't you ride at all in the winter. Mine never sits more than 2-3 weeks. Oh, now somethin' bad will happen. :ssshh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.