Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

I would give up nothing cause my 1500 is paid for and im the only one that loves it

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Cb radio would go first. I read a lot of posts about no Navi, I found the Navi awesome when traveling to the unknown. Driven across the states and canada, would have been stuck a few times without the help of my Navi. Hard to read a map and ride at the same time.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I'll tell you what I did give up nearly two years ago: I gave up Goldwings.

After we went deer hunting with our 1500, I took the insurance check and went looking at 1800s.....cheapest one in Washington State was just over $24K. I only paid $35K for my house (1989)! I then went looking for a late model 1500: zip, nada, not-to-be-had. So then I went looking for an early model 1500: zip, nada, not-to-be-had.

And then, like a burst of sunshine, the answer came to me.... in August 2008, parked in the corner of the dealership, looking like an orphan that had given up hopes of being adopted, sat a 2007 non-ABS Honda ST1300 Sportstourer. $12.4K brand new.... I took a test ride; I signed the papers; and I became an ex-Goldwinger.

What did I give up? Not much.... an audio system, longer-lasting tires.... But what did I gain? At half the cost, I got a bike I could tour on as easily as the Wing, a bike that was more fun in the corners than the 1500, a bike that averaged near or over 50mpg two-up at 70plus mph, a bike I never felt I was gonna drop, a bike that was a joy to ride! 27,000 happy miles now, and I ain't sorry!

Would I buy another? In a heartbeat....

Attachments

·
Best looking member
3,105 Posts
imported post

Sure, but by looking at your avatar, it's cost you a little in the complexion department:shock::shock::shock:Or is that a result of all that smiling??:cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger wrote:
Sure, but by looking at your avatar, it's cost you a little in the complexion department:shock::shock::shock:Or is that a result of all that smiling??:cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin:
Yeah, I'm lookin' a little weathered, hey? Been that way since I came home from northeastern Canada!

:cheeky1:

I think it was facing all that oncoming Simcoe Day traffic when we left Dusty Boot's house... or maybe the 200 mile rainstorm we hit just shy of Sudbury! Think I got permanent water damage!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I was looking at an STR 1300 myself. My previous bike was a GSX 1100G that the wife refused to get on.

The STR 1300 would be great as a solo rider, but 2 up long distances would be a challenge.

The wife sure likes her comfy couch on the wing complete with her own a$$ warmer.

I think the comparison is apples to oranges. The STR is a sport touring bike for short and medium distances. Having test drove one for a 100 km trek up in Northern ontario canada, I can't see myself doing a cannonball 22 hour run like I just did on my wing.

But each to their own

Cheers

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

JasonWaugh wrote:
I was looking at an STR 1300 myself. My previous bike was a GSX 1100G that the wife refused to get on.

The STR 1300 would be great as a solo rider, but 2 up long distances would be a challenge.

The wife sure likes her comfy couch on the wing complete with her own a$$ warmer.

I think the comparison is apples to oranges. The STR is a sport touring bike for short and medium distances. Having test drove one for a 100 km trek up in Northern ontario canada, I can't see myself doing a cannonball 22 hour run like I just did on my wing.

But each to their own

Cheers
Well, my wife and I just rode our ST1300 two-up with camping gear from Washington State across the country to Nova Scotia (The Cabot Trail) and Quebec (The Gaspe' Peninsula) and back.... 8,910 miles....Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, a slice of Ontario, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and the rest of Ontario....and back again.....

Gee, I didn't know we couldn't do that!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I believe the artificially set limits on bikes -- "that's a touring bike, that's a sport bike, that's a trailer-bike" -
- are all patent nonsense. The world has been circumnavigated by people on 50 ccs, and by a double amputee on a junkyard Harley (Dave Barr). My advice to all is to disregard "expert" advice, and do what you want with what you got....... but, as the man says, to each his own......

Attachments

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Love that pic, Jack, seeing Red in it helps as well. Were you lucky enough to get to walk out to the Rock, we've done it a couple of times, don't start when the tide is coming in:shock::shock::shock: :byebye::byebye:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Love that pic, Jack, seeing Red in it helps as well. Were you lucky enough to get to walk out to the Rock, we've done it a couple of times, don't start when the tide is coming in :shock::shock::shock: :byebye::byebye:
No, we didn't, Bob, but we walked around the town quite a bit..... cool place! By the time we got to Perce, time and money were beginning to be a factor, so we spent only one night there.... had a wonderful, wonderful time, sure...would love to do more riding up in your neck of the woods, but it's so far away. Thought about storing a bike in Maine; that way we could fly in and ride the great Northeast! Every serious motorcyclist should ride the Cabot and the Gaspe' once in their lives..... we left Newfoundland for seed...gotta come back someday to do Newfie-land!

Attachments

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Didn't mean to hijack this thread: What would I give up? How about $25-35K motorcycles..... make a new, less luxurious Goldwing, and sell it to me for a price that a retired educator/social worker can afford..... I paid $2495 for an 81' Wing with 60K miles on it, and put 160K more on it; I paid $10,000 for a 96' Aspencade (in 2001) with 8K miles on it, and put 80K on it before we slammed a deer...... But I cannot pay $20K-$25K-$30K for a motorcycle.....just cannot do it. I'm afraid Honda is going the way of Harley, and pricing normal people right off the road...... my humble opinion only, of course....

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I won't give up anything as long as I can find good "1500's" :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

I think all the bells and whistles are great. Stereos, GPS, airbags, etc. I usually buy things (especially bikes) in used condition. So when I'm in the mood to pick up a nice 1800 with all the bling, I'll research and find one I like at thousands less then the sticker. Keep those add ons coming!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

No need to give up anything in my case, get a low priced 1500 in good shape...suction cup your $50 gps on the dash, take a couple hours and mod your radio for xm or mp3 or cd whichever you prefer, make your own heated seat, heated gear and now I have what I want and more for way less than what mother asks for a new one.

I agree with Mel, it won't be long and Honda will price the average joe out of a nice new bike. I have a family to support in addition to my motorcycle addiction.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

I would gladly give up fuel injection and 2 cylinders. The result would be less weight, more legroom and smooth throttle response. You would still have a 100+ hp engine on a nice handling touring bike. Don

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Posted: Friday Aug 13th, 2010 11:08 AM

Goldwinger wrote:
Yeah, I'm lookin' a little weathered, hey? Been that way since I came home from northeastern Canada!

:cheeky1:

I think it was facing all that oncoming Simcoe Day traffic when we left Dusty Boot's house... or maybe the 200 mile rainstorm we hit just shy of Sudbury! Think I got permanent water damage!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Na CJ ...... you got lookin like that after paying the overinflated prices for everything, up here in Canuckistan! :?

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

MMMMMMM Thats a hard one what wouldI give up ER ER ER

NOT A THING SOMETIMES YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR IF I COULD AFFORD A NEW WING WITH EVERY EXTRA I WOULD BUY ONE I COULD JUST ABOUTAFFORD A 2008 WING THIS YEAR.

AS FOR PRICE A NEW WING IN THE UK £23000 NOT SURE WHAT THIS IS IN $ BUT BACK IN 2007 WHEN I WENT TO THE USA THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN ABOUT $50,000+

SO PLEASE REMEMBER IN THE UK ITS GOING TO COST MORE ADDTO THAT FUEL AT £5+ A GALLON HAVING A BIKE HERE IS CERTAINLY NOT A CHEAP LIFE OPTION.

BUT I LOVE MY WING SO HARD CHOICES HAVE TO BE MADE BUT THE WING NORMALLY WINS LOL

GO ON DO SOME WING MILES YOU KNOW YOU SHOULD

·
Very active member
305 Posts
imported post

i havent had it but i think i would give up air bags. not sure about those. i have only had the one i have and i would change the location of my feet. if they could move forward more that would be great. i went for an hour and a half and it didnt bother me much but i think it would be more comfy

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

tire joe wrote:
Why would 120 mph+1800 goldwing need a 6th gear ? To go faster? I can not believe it would be for fuel economy, if you can afford a $25,000 bike what a few bucks for gas ?
some of uss like to ride over 120mph :ssshh:

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.