Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Harley has 40 grand bikes...why not Honda?
I wish the 1800 had come out 5 years earlier. The 4 sale rags around here never have more than 2 or 3 wings advertised, but there are dozens of pages of used Harleys for sale by under-employed owners... :gunhead:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
I'd like to see an 1800 Valkerie style. jimsjinx
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

I DID get a new Goldwing, and what I chose to give up was: an anemic drivetrain...ugly headlights, and a cassette player built in? My God, why not just mount an 8 track player on the hump? Had it not been for the 1800, I'd have chosen another make/model. (my long silenced response to many previous 1800 remarks on this site)

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
imported post

doesn't really bother me. I only bought one bike new & that was an HD back in 90'. since then it's been used bikes. they're cheaper & come w/ a lot of aftermarket crap. if I were to buy a new bike I would like to see a standard or "Interstate" version. something "entry level" where you would not have to take a second mortgage to get it & add stuff as you go. or not.. I would like to see a hot rod version Valk too. that would be sweet!

BTW, I cannot see my "ugly headlights" when I'm riding the bike;)

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

I'd give up the linked brakes, cruse control, CB wiring, electric trunk opener, car-like dash board, heaters (they're useless), electric reverse (rather it be mechanical). Not having delved into the mechanics of the 18, I'm sure I'll come up with more (losing the Cats would be nice).

·
Honda Guru
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
imported post

Reading all these posts makes it obvious that no one is completely happy with the GL1800. It's sort of funny to me because Honda does try to please the general GL public. After working with Honda at the dealership level since 1975 I got a little input into how they do the things they do.

When Honda got a lot of comments about how to improve the 1500 they attended races and GL events to talk to the people that owned GL's just to get suggestions.
People complained about the hot air blowing onto their legs on the 1500. So Honda reversed the fans to blow out and away from drivers legs. In order to make the system work they had to put a 'speed sensor' into the circuitry so the fans would cool properly. Then some of them overheated during 'parade mode'. Bad scene.

People commented they didn't like the lever on the reverse system…. so Honda made it all electric. Just trying to please, eh?

People didn't like having to replace the timing belts… so Honda gave them cam chains.

People commented they didn't like cassette…. so they got the MP3 connection with a accessory CD player.

No body is every completely happy but Honda does at least listen to us…
sometimes.

I'm still waiting for the 6 speed…. but I'm not holding my breath<G>

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

Hard for me to say I've only riddden 3 18's. What I'd have to have back is the onboard compressor and more rider room. The 18 does alot of things well the suspension is good and the motor happily rev's and it has a light feel to it. I'll stay with my 15 thanks. Torque monsters and torquemaster slip ons and a degree wheel had the 15 performing better than factory. I can repair a flat anywhere and my Ipod takes care of sound. Airbag?? Whatever an accident is an accident no splitting hairs about it.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

Hard for me to say I've only riddden 3 18's. What I'd have to have back is the onboard compressor and more rider room. The 18 does alot of things well the suspension is good and the motor happily rev's and it has a light feel to it. I'll stay with my 15 thanks. Torque monsters and torquemaster slip ons and a degree wheel had the 15 performing better than factory. I can repair a flat anywhere and my Ipod takes care of sound. Airbag?? Whatever an accident is an accident no splitting hairs about it.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I'd give up everything all the way back to the '83 GL1100 Interstate. It is my perfect touring bike. I currently have an '85 LTD, and it has been nothing but trouble. When I get it running (again) I think I'll cut my losses, sell it for what I can get out of it, and get a carbureted non electronic 1100I.

Seriously, why would anyone need anymore than that for touring? You could bump up the engine size a bit, but the ST is still 4 cylinders. Why does anyone need a 6 cylinder motorcycle? And why does anyone need a ton of electronics and automatic everything. To me, not only does it raise the price, and also the cost to have it fixed, but it takes a lot of fun out of the riding experience. I'm not looking to ride a limousine, just a comfortable motorcycle. The old 1100s would rack up 250,000 miles at freeway speeds, with nothing but simple maintenance. Back when I was in my early 20s, I called the 1100 a 2 wheeled car. Now with the 1800, I truly know what a 2 wheeled car is. Whats next, a roof and A/C?

I know nobody cares, and this actually seems to be the antithesis of the Goldwing mentality, but I just have to say this. Not only do I think you should build another 4 cylinder Goldwing, but I think it should have pushrod overhead valves with a gear driven cam (eliminates the belt problem) and a single automotive carb right in the middle. That design is proven (the air cooled VW motor) but keep the same cases with cast in cylinders, and liquid cooling. Keep the hydraulic valves. Keep the electronics to an absolute minimum, and cover all electronics with a 10 year unlimited mileage warranty, to give the buyer some piece of mind. If they are as reliable as everybody says they are, that shouldn't be a problem.

And no, the ST or something with the ST style won't work. The riding position is all wrong, the fairing and windshield is to narrow, the luggage to small, and the seat way to uncomfortable, and it looks wrong. It still needs to be a luxoboat, something very comfortable, capable of carrying 2 people and a large amount of luggage from coast to coast. Something along the lines of the GL1100/1200, with the mods I mentioned, sans useless electronics like stereos and trip computers (you could make a lot of that stuff optional, for the ones that want it, I don't. I wouldn't mind if the styling were updated a little, but nothing crazy. It should look like a touring bike, not a sport bike with bags. If anything could convince me to empty out my savings account, that would be it.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

I totally agree with norton from colorado. no electronic junk except for ignition. and no fairing either.I have myself wondered what a bare-tailed 1500 would be like.
samk.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
......but I think it should have pushrod overhead valves with a gear driven cam (eliminates the belt problem) and a single automotive carb right in the middle.....

There was no belt problem, they worked and were reliable and quieter than the camchains on the 1800.
As for single carb, the performance is never as good as multi-carb and also most of them would probably fail modern emissions legislation in mosts parts of the world. FI is much better and maintenance free, I don't miss carbs at all.

I could probably live without the heater vents, they just don't work. I'd trade them for an on-board compressor, as that saved the day on a couple of occasions.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

rayworx wrote:
Reading all these posts makes it obvious that no one is completely happy with the GL1800. It's sort of funny to me because Honda does try to please the general GL public.
Not everyone was happy with ANY Goldwing. Honda did add a lot of things owners wanted and that's why we have what we have now. There will always be people who want something more, or less, or just different.

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
imported post

I could probably do without several small things but if it didn't have all the bells and whistles it wouldn't be the flagship of motorcycles. I love my 1800, headlights and all.
If all you 1500 riders can come up with to cut down the 1800 (and we all know you want one) is ugly headlights, get over it. Once you sit behind them and can see where you're going you will learn to love them.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I could probably do without several small things but if it didn't have all the bells and whistles it wouldn't be the flagship of motorcycles. I love my 1800, headlights and all.
If all you 1500 riders can come up with to cut down the 1800 (and we all know you want one) is ugly headlights, get over it. Once you sit behind them and can see where you're going you will learn to love them.
The Gl1800 IS a sweet ride, there is no doubt and if I were to buy a new bike, it would be a GL1800 with the air bag.. I've seen the videos of it operating... I'm a believer!!:coollep:

That said.... She STILL has ugly headlights......:cool::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I like the headlights:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Things like model-specific radios and nav systems cost a lot to produce. I think all that could be simplified for a cost savings. Maybe share stuff from the fit or something.

Harley has 40 grand bikes...why not Honda?
Jaguar has always had a policy about extras.

Once they sell X number of an accessory, it becomes standard equipment. It is a lot cheaper to put navi on all models than to put it on some and not on others. Likewise air bags, intercoms, extra chrome, etc.

Try to order a new Jag without A/C. For that matter, try to buy a new Ford without it.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

I wonder what a new 1800 6-cyl. with NOTHING extra (similar to the old Valkarie)(r.i.p.) would cost. or maybe a smaller flat 6 like 1200cc. not even a fairing.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
Honda should make a base model available without anything except the basic Motorcycle , regular suspension and the fairing. It would lower the price considerably and people would buy it.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I would be more than willing to give up everything that is not necessary for the bike to be ridable, and simplify the rest. Go back to the original 1980 base model Interstate. To me the only necessary extras on the Goldwing are the fairing, bags, and trunk. Then lower the MSRP to no more than $15K

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.