Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It just clicks real fast whenI press the button, sometimes it'll start, most times not, soI'm thinking it's getting the control voltage but it's just not passing through to the starter, if it was something I could take apart and clean up i'm sure it would work great but unfortunately it's not.

Does anyone know of a easily obtainable replacement? That will fit in there behind the left side panel. Thank you Gentlemen!

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Ok, first it is not a solenoid. Bikes do not have solenoids on the starter. What you are talking about sounds like the relay, a large electromagnetically operated switch probably somewhere near the battery. The starter button sends a small amount of current to it, Which causes it to close, sending a large amount of current directly from the battery to the starter. There should be 2 large terminals on it, with large cables. One going to the positive terminal on the battery, the other going to the terminal on the starter. Using a screwdriver, and being very careful not to touch anything else, touch both of those terminals at once. If the starter now turns normally (not slowly), then you have one of 2 possible problems. either it is not receiving enough current from the starter button to completely close it, or the coil on it is weak, causing it not to close. But try the screwdriver thing first, to rule out the battery and the starter. If the relay for the 1100 is no longer available, one from a 1200 would probably work. In fact there are probably hundreds that will work, they just have to be the right size to fit, and be able to handle the current the 1100 starter draws. Knowing which one is the problem, but I'm sure someone here knows, if the 1100 part is no longer available. Electrical parts do not last forever, so somebody has replaced one.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,641 Posts
imported post

It's more likely the starter button than the relay/solenoid. If it has failed though, the fact that it lasted this long makes me think the OEM part is a bargain, at any price.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

What year is the bike? That part is still available for the '83 Interstate/Aspencade. '80, '81, and '82 probably use the same part.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I thank you all for your input, I just bought a brand new one on ebay for $23 using the keyword SOLENOID.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

chilidawg wrote:
I thank you all for your input, I just bought a brand new one on ebay for $23 using the keyword SOLENOID.
You are correct chilidawg. $23.00 all day long, buy it now. The reason it's called a solenoid, is because that's what it is. A solenoid is a wire that is generally coiled around a magnetic core to produce an effect when voltage is applied. Solenoid, solenoid switch, solenoid relay........so yes, your bike has a starter solenoid relay switch.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi Chilidawg,

I know I am coming late to the party here and your already fixed up but this may help someone else down the road who reads this thread.

I did a small "How To" on redoing your Solenoid with lots of pictures.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/90295.html

Tim.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
imported post

Hey Tim, I used your how to on my solenoid about a year ago and it has been working great ever sinse. Thanks for the info. Dwight

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Dwight,

Glad to hear you got use out of it! Glad I could help!

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Tim your pictures and explanation are very well presented, what's in a name when this type of work is so well demonstrated.

Good editing, camera and words.

Take a bow and mana!

Solenoid!.....relay!....thingamagig!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.