Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I am finally going tot install a new radio..HD zoom with remote and high tech stuff..I guess.. ANy this radio requires a all the time hot lead to keep the settings. Is there anyplace besides the battery that is hot all the time on an 81 Interstate. I could go poke around with my meter but I figure someone might know and save me some time.

Be nice if there was a fuse box hotty.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i do belive there is a lead in the fairing plug that is what you need. type 1 & type 2 radios both requied a hot lead to retane radio presets. i dont think it was fused to the plug. so a inline fuse would be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

That's the big one that is plugged into the fairing on the lower left side..so I have to poke around in the plug to find a hot lead..Or look for a wire in the fairing not doing anything that comes form that plug..just trying to limit my hunting around.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

a volt ohm meter should make quick work of that. yes its the big plug on the left side of the fairing. i think the radio hot lead was split off the lead in the fairing. a check of the install manual will tell you for sure where it is split. type 1 or type 2 should be the same ( i think).

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

OK I thin I have a PFD installation guide at home..not there right now..later today I can check. THANKS

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi RB, Honda provided the initial power wires for the Type I and Type II Clarion radios in all fairings. If it hasn't been used by a PO for something, coming off the back of the white connector in the left side and tied down neatly under the left glove box should be a short harnass which includes (1P BLK; 2P BLK & 2P WHT) connectors for the OEM radios. These will have a switched hot, an unswitched hot and associated gnds.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Should be a light green with black stripe.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

Left side of the fairing, go behind the indicator, you ought to find some pre-fused spare hots in there, I used them to power up driving lights, cigarette lighter and HID headlight, bottom left of the schematic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Honda has been very consistant with their wiring codes and colors. If you need a battery hot source for memory, it will be RED in color.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.