Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, can anybody tell me what those little wire hose clamps Honda uses are called? I've been searching the net for two hours and can't find one. I'm guessing that's because they are not called hose clamps, tube clamps, wire clamps or clips, etc, etc, etc.

And the ones Honda uses aren't big enough for aftermarket fuel lines.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
These are the ones that came with the bike, but are too small for thr AM hose.
Honda calls them Clips.
Of course Honda uses the same Clips/Clamps in different locations so the one on your petcock is called "CLIP, OIL DRAIN TUBE"
The ones on the fuel filter and fuel pump are called "CLIP, BREATHER TUBE" :?

Your auto parts store will have them in various sizes if you wish to stay with that style of clamp.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
I plan on changing out my back brake tube, the one between the reservior and the master cylinder pretty soon and this little thread ought to come in real handy. Thanks Dennis. :):claps:;)

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
I just went through this today. Auto parts stores around here don't have anything except screw type clamps. I found spring clamps ( like what you find on your lawnmower) at Ace hardware. They had them in about 7 or 8 sizes.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
These are the ones that came with the bike, but are too small for thr AM hose.
Those hose clamps are used for the fuel lines?
All my fuel clamps are the screw type. That style doesn't seem very positive for fuel. Anyone else have this style clamp on the fuel hoses?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Those hose clamps are used for the fuel lines?
All my fuel clamps are the screw type. That style doesn't seem very positive for fuel. Anyone else have this style clamp on the fuel hoses?
My 1984:waving: has positive screw type clamps like yours and that's what the parts list calls for, the 1987 parts list on the other hand calls for the spring clamps like Dennis posted a picture of.

Over the years I've seen many different fuel line clamps used by different manufactures, from the ones like Dennis pictured all the way to tie wraps. I've even seen some that use no clamps, just a hose pushed onto a barb. Of course the hose pushed onto a barb without a clamp is usually only used before the fuel pump.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Or before the fire....
I'm just guessing here but you've not worked much on small engines where the spring wire clamps that Dennis is referring to are common as are no clamps at all on fuel lines.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I'm just guessing here but you've not worked much on small engines where the spring wire clamps that Dennis is referring to are common as are no clamps at all on fuel lines.
No I haven't. But then again, I don't ride my weed whacker to work or drive my lawn mower over the Beartooth, either.
I have spent many a night in the garage sitting on the gas can smoking cigarettes though, so I guess I'm alright.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was hoping to get back to the clean look of stock.
Anyway, I have been using FI clamps as they're much cleaner looking than screw clamps, but they still look cluttered (see the pic).
I could go without I suppose, but that seems risky.
Also replacing the FI clamps on the carbs, while installed, seems a challenge.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Those FI clamps look pretty neat to me Dennis. I guess a cluttered look is in the eyes of the beholder. :)

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
i do not like these style of clamps at all, have been converting to screw clamps

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
It's unanimous Dennis. Nobody knows if they like them or not!:ROFL:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've just replaced all the hoses and clamps on my 1988 GL1500 using Dorman clamps (see attached). PO had used some screw clamps on the fuel line and one had been tightened too much and it broke over time. Another was loose. The Dorman clamps provide a strong clamp and are easier to you than screw clamps. The new replacements from Honda are now this type and can be found at True Value and NAPA. JMTC

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
The 2 wire is what came on the 1100 originally.I put the same FI clamps on mine it was the only clamp at the auto store I thought would work and look decent.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.