Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

So, getting the ol girl back on the road after two years of taking up space in the garage. The left front brakes are dragging, and the rear brakes won't pump up, (bled them yesterday, so it is not air in lines). Figured it would be logical to simply rebuild all the calipers at once. What will this entail?

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

I would order the handfull of new seals to rebuild them . But lots of folks take them apart and clean it all up and put it back together again . For dragging its most likely corrosion build up in the grooves . Once you have them off the bike most of the time you can pop the pistons out with some air pressure applied to the fluid inlet . DO NOT allow your fingers or any body parts to be in the caliper ( where the pads fit ) while putting pressure on . I reccomend putting a thin piece of wood in there to catch the piston before it pops completely out . I am thinking perhaps a 1/4" plywood . I suppose if your going to be replacing the pads you let them remain in place to keep the piston from popping all the way out . YES I know you want them all the way out ,but if one pops out first then you have no pressure to get the second one out. I hope that makes some sense . Once the piston is out ,remove the dust seal then the seal . Pay close attention to the seal grooves to clean them all the way around . All three calipers are similar . One of the front ones will have smaller pistons , it's the one thats connected to the rear system . If it was myself I think I would get kits for both masters as well and go thru the hole system and its all clean . Of Course if you hit the lotto , stainless braided lines are sweet too .

AS always DO NOT SPILL/SPLASH BRAKE FLUID on plastic body parts

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Order new seals, pop the pistons and clean off any rust and embedded dirt. Cleaning the pistons and caliper bores will improve things and stop dragging. The hard part will be bleeding the brakes.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

There's really nothing to it. I cleaned mine and replaced the seals with the calipers still on the bike. I had one piston stick a little, so I pumped it out with the pedal.

My seals would have been reusable (the originals) but I changed them, just because.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.