Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a fella that has made me a offer on my 83 GL1100. It has 41K miles. originally I told him I would replace timing belts. After reading all the great info on this forum, I've decided that if you are going to to timing belts, you need to be prepared to do other tasks that may pop up. Like replace radiator hoses water pump rebuild and what ever. Any way, are you still with me. I don't have the time to do this so wants to know what he can expect to pay for a major service. We are in the SF Bay area. I guess I could have just asked what a major service could cost in the SF Bay area Huh?

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I'll just guess in the Bay area for "Timing Belts, adjust valves ,hoses fluids,plugs etc around $400 to $475, just aneducated guess, depends on their "hourly rates vs time" some charge $60 an hour some charge up to $70 for a half hour ?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Being in San Fran, it's gonna cost you more. Why not ask around the shops and see if anyone moonlights in their garage? You aren't talking rocket science to perform the work you need done. Ask your local M/C clubs if they know anyone.

Raymond

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Retro48 wrote:
I have a fella that has made me a offer on my 83 GL1100. It has 41K miles. originally I told him I would replace timing belts. After reading all the great info on this forum, I've decided that if you are going to to timing belts, you need to be prepared to do other tasks that may pop up. Like replace radiator hoses water pump rebuild and what ever. Any way, are you still with me. I don't have the time to do this so wants to know what he can expect to pay for a major service. We are in the SF Bay area. I guess I could have just asked what a major service could cost in the SF Bay area Huh?
Why not change the belts since that's the critical item and call it good? Check the pump by looking at the weep hole, run your finger over it) if it's not leaking it's most likely okay, ditto for the hoses they probably are good enough if there's no obvious leaks or cracks. Routine maintenance like that is normal for any buyer of a used vehicle. You've committed to changing the belts, but that doesn't take all that much time,1 1/2-2 hours, and will cost you around $60 for a pair of belts at NAPA.

Personally I always sell as is. I'd advise the buyer about upcoming maintenance that the bike would need, wouldn't try to hide anything, full disclosure might mean negotiating down a few bucks but it leaves the buyer and seller happier in the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.