Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's, I finished the seafoam soak on my carbs, and got it running again and it seems the left side carbs are putting fuel into the cyl. now, running much better. I want to get new plugs, it has ngk DPR8EA-9 plugs in it now. I want to put in the best plugs there are, and I want to know what is meant by a hotter plug, and a colder plug. Are they for different weather conditions, like cold weather climate and hot weather climate? or do they stand for a hotter spark to burn the fuel better? And those plugs with the multiple contacts over the tip, do they make them for bikes? and if they do has anyone tried them? are they worth anything? And do they make higher output coils for wing's,? like acell super coils? If so do they make a noticible difference? Are the Iridium DPR8EIX-9 a good plug?

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I like the iridium plugs in my CBRs, but it is a hassle to change them so that is why I pay the extra. I would recommend standard plugs in the Goldwing and just change them more often. I would only go to a hotter plug if you are trying to burn oil. There are many threads on coil upgrades but I would recommend a relay fed supply circuit for the coils until they actually fail.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,330 Posts
The stock plugs work as well, or better, than anything else.
The expensive stuff is just that...expensive. The bike will not run any better with them.
As far as heat range, stick with stock.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
the iridium plugs are excellent in that they are gonna last alot longer before they will need replacement and maintain their installed gap
have nearly 40K on set i installed,last tank 45.2 mpg

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I had nearly 75K miles on the Iridium's that I took out of my 1500, and they were still good, just figured it was time.

I highly recommend Iridium's. I know when I put them into my 1200 LTD i could tell a difference in how it ran and a small increase in power probably due to it running better. The PO of the LTD only put 8500 miles on the bike total, and the plugs were changed just before I got it, so that comparison is Iridium's versus new NGK's.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 750, which is known to have a hot starting problem. The general consensus is that it is caused by a weak spark at the speeds the starter turns the engine over. Everybody recommends the iridium plugs for them. I got some, and couldn't tell the difference, other than my wallet being lighter. It's a v-twin with dual plug heads.

I have always used standard NGK plugs in the stock recommended heat range, and will continue to do so. Just like certain other things, I don't believe in spending a lot of extra money on something that cannot actually be proven to work better.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I don't remember what the exact price was on the iridium plugs, but they were several times as much as regular plugs. I like to pull my plugs out once in a while and look at them, and sometimes do a compression check. I would rather replace the plugs more often with standard ones than put the expensive ones in. But that is just my opinion. I like to work on motors.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I would put the stock NGKs back in if it were mine. They are inexpensive and work well. On my previous GL1200 LTD I ran the original plugs for 75,000 miles and they still looked nearly new. When i replaced them with some more standard NGK plugs I didn't notice any difference in performance, starting ease, or fuel mileage.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I went the iridium route some years ago, I felt there was a slight increase in power, and the bike starts better for sure.

They last a lot longer, and hold the gap better, and also use less power to fire, which is a little better for 1200 electrics I think anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.