Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got a little repair job I need to do and discovered that JB Weld don't cut the mustard. How do you guys make it stick for real?

·
Administrator
25,741 Posts
imported post

ABS pipe cement or bumper repair cement, probably the same thing.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

+1 on the ABS pipe dope.

The tupperware is made of ABS plastic, so make sure that you get the ABS pipe dope, not the usual PVC pipe dope.

Chemically reacts with the ABS and actually melts/welds it.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

WingMan71 wrote:
+1 on the ABS pipe dope. The tupperware is made of ABS plastic, so make sure that you get the ABS pipe dope, not the usual PVC pipe dope. Chemically reacts with the ABS and actually melts/welds it.
WingMan that is a sharp looking wing-put up some pics!. Does the ABS stuff work for the missing tabs on the front fairings? At least one of my broken tabs is still under the screw. And what if the tab is missing? Was going to form one out of bondo then shape and have paint touch up done. Any better ideas?

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

you can reform a missing tab with the abs glue and abs shavings. Takes some time but works well. The abs cement will melt shavings mixed in with it. Make a form around the missing tab with clay then apply the abs/shaving paste. When the chemicals evaporate it will be as strong as the original. Careful of fumes and dust making shavings though. You can also melt the shavings in MEK and make a paste that way. Very simular to bondo. Build it up and sand to shape.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Make sure you get the hard to get Black ABS glue which melts and welds the ABS not the Yellow which is just a glue and works on the large surfaces of a pipe fitting but is not suitable for small parts or cracks in ABS plastic.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
imported post

BONDO WILL NOT HOLD! what you need is a 2 part adhesive made for ABS plastic. check your local body shop supplier. 3M makes some real good stuff. the stuff I used required a special dual plunger gun to dispense but I'm sure they could steer you right.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

No problem-not too far or I can order-just use some ABS pipe or pipe fittings for shavings? Does it shape like bondo when dry-ie.sandable? Need to remove all paint first?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I broke a pin off my side cover. I took a dremel tool and made a groove to inlay a small nail. I then used the Loctite brand "epoxy for plastic", and that worked great. I broke a tab off another panel, and had to reform a small missing chunk. I went with the black abs and shavings trick, and I could shape it, spot putty it, and paint it. Let it dry a full day or even better, several days, before you start sanding/shaping. jimsjinx

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I made a lot of tupperware repairs on old bikes when I have my shop. The best cement is plain old ABS cement as already mentioned. It's the black goop in the little round can with a dauber under the lid. This stuff will make a chemical weld to the substrate ABS you're trying to bond to. Epoxy type glues won't really hold. You can put a daub of them on a part and pop it off with a knife blade. Won't happen with ABS cement. Lowes, Ace hardware and many stores sell the stuff. Black one part ABS cement you don't need any primer because the cement is a solvent thickened with dissolved ABS plastic. It will eat into the plastic surface and result in a very strong join. I buy a piece of ABS pipe (1 1/2" ABS pipe is a good size to make a fork seal driver out of ) and hit it with my sander to make ABS dust which mixed with a bit of cement gives a nice body putty. Don't lay the stuff on very thick or you'll soften the plastic under it and it will take a week or two to harden. Thin coats to build it up if you're making things like new pins. A broken off pin can be glued back on, I had two on a side cover on my 1500 that was holding up well after several years. You can stick a small screw or nail in place and build up the ABS putty a layer at a time then sand it to the shape of the pin. Cracks are easy, put some masking tape on the side that's painted and work a thin coat of cement into the crack on the other side. Flex the plastic if you can to work the cement into the edges of the crack. It takes a bit of time since you have to wait for a coat to dry before you can add another but it works very well and is cheap. It took me several days to rebuild the bottom of an 1100 Aspy trunk. I got a piece of ABS from a plastic shop and made a doubler for the bottom of that trunk after I glued the cracks in the original bottom. Came out real well and was twice as strong as original.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

I'm gonna go the route of ABS. I've used many types of sealants and epoxy in my previous job - was an aircraft mechanic-used epoxy to repair many parts in the cabin such as trim, armrest plastic etc. Had access to the good stuff including Scotchweld which is supposed to be like JB weld on steroids. If the part expands and contracts and is subject to movement, changes in temp. etc. the epoxy will likely separate or break at the bond eventually. At least that has been my experience. One tecnique used commonly when a crack starts to develop was to stop drill the crack at the apex of the crack with a small drill bit. Unfortunately this results in a small hole but often it may be in a less visible area or can be filled from the unfinished side only so not noticeable.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Locktite plastic epoxy is the best stuff i have found .It burns into the plastic to make a solid repair

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
WingMan that is a sharp looking wing-put up some pics!. Does the ABS stuff work for the missing tabs on the front fairings?
wingsam41,

The replies on using ABS pipe cement and ABS shavings to make the missing tabs are right on. That's the way to go.

You asked for a pic of my bike. Here's one. (It spent the first 20 years of its life in Tucson, AZ, before I bought it in 2007.) I took it nearly completely apart shortly after I got it to recondition/restore it as necessary. It haswon its class in every show I've entered it in so far.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
Make sure you get the hard to get Black ABS glue which melts and welds the ABS not the Yellow which is just a glue and works on the large surfaces of a pipe fitting but is not suitable for small parts or cracks in ABS plastic.
The black ABS is probably not available at all in Canada--only the yellow stuff, which is NOT just a glue, but will melt the ABS just like the black stuff. It is yellow because of the plumbing code in Canada. Yellow makes it easier for plumbers and inspectors to see if all joints have been bonded. Guess they have better eyes in the states.

I dropped into an Ace Hardware store in Calais, Maine to get my black stuff.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Gives a Canadian a reason to buy a Yellow 'Wing and US citizens a black one.:action:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

WingMan71 wrote:
wingsam41 wrote:
WingMan that is a sharp looking wing-put up some pics!. Does the ABS stuff work for the missing tabs on the front fairings?
wingsam41,

The replies on using ABS pipe cement and ABS shavings to make the missing tabs are right on. That's the way to go.

You asked for a pic of my bike. Here's one. (It spent the first 20 years of its life in Tucson, AZ, before I bought it in 2007.) I took it nearly completely apart shortly after I got it to recondition/restore it as necessary. It haswon its class in every show I've entered it in so far.

(Wearing sunglasses and squinting to view pic)

Shiiiinyyyy!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.