Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
imported post

I'm resurrecting this older thread to ask if anyone has any strength data on any of the above mentioned glues or mixtures.

If a good welder using the right equipment welds apiece of steel pipe end to end the weld will be as strong as the original pipe.

My experimental weldwith a piece of 1-1/2" ABS pipe and yellow pipe cement was nowhere near as strong. The pipe snapped at the bond with a fraction of the original strength.

While the pipe cements may be OK for low strength applications it would be good to know the limitations. Pipe cement will be formulated to match the plastic but also have certain gap filling qualities and be resistant to temperature fluctuations.

If you read up on ABS plastic you will find that there are different formulations including fiber re-enforced. Each may have its ownspecial considerations.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I have used this with great success. $7.00

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't know about yellow ABS cement but the old black gooey stuff does hold very well. I've never had a repair with the stuff fail. Does the yellow stuff soften the surface of the ABS it's applied to? The solvents in the black stuff do which results in more or less of a chemical weld.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I don't know about yellow ABS cement but the old black gooey stuff does hold very well. I've never had a repair with the stuff fail. Does the yellow stuff soften the surface of the ABS it's applied to? The solvents in the black stuff do which results in more or less of a chemical weld.

The yellow stuff contains ketones which dissolve the ABS and would supposedly make a melted bond. My test is a piece of ABS pipe and I am gluing it end to end. The connection was reasonable but nowhere near the strength of the original pipe. I'm guessing about 20%.

The cement would have fillers to thicken it and the yellow colour may be a Canadian thing to make sure unglued joints are detected.

The cement would not have the same structural characteristics as the ABS. The pipe joint is a coupling with a large surface area and structural support. An improperly glued joint would probably only produce a small leak. With a bike, if a tab repair failed one could lose a $300 panel as it falls off and gets run over by a truck.

ABS formulas can vary as well. What is used for pipe fittings may be quite different from the formula used for bike panels.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.