Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Graham B wrote:
GL1800 Never ridden. Saw one, thought Morris Minor and just can't get that thought out of my head.
You have a lot to learn. :stumped:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:
Hmm,

Maybe butfeedback I've had saysmost owenerswant their 1500's back - especially the passengers.

First impressions are everything and I can honestly say the 1800 leaves me totally cold. Everything I've heard since just reinforces that feeling. Each to their own.

Ubarw,

Happy to help.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Oh you want to know which one to buy?

Used?

86 Sei, 85 LTD, 87 Aspencade

Sadly, other than the reverse, nothing else about the 1500 appealed to me. But I am strange...I actually had a 1500 I could have bought when I opted for my 87. I would actually get real serious about a Moto Guzzi before a 1500.

Previously I have had both a 1100 and a 1000, liked them both for different reasons, but never as much as the three I mentioned.

New

Hmmm, I would say 1800 but with the 2000s so close.....Hmmm Wait??

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Graham B wrote:
Maybe butfeedback I've had saysmost owenerswant their 1500's back.

First impressions are everything and I can honestly say the 1800 leaves me totally cold. Everything I've heard since just reinforces that feeling.
Hey Graham B :stumped: I would like to see how many members on this forum who ride the :18red:and are not happy with it, andwant to go back to the :15red: you must be taking the wrong tablets. :crying:eek:r this is the joke of the year. :grinner:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Redwing has a valid point, I mean how many Goldwing owners who traded up to a newer model actually got rid of it and went back to their previous model (I know some lucky people have several models at the same time)? The fact is that each new model handled better than the previous one and this factor alone will make people reluctant to go back.

My opinions on the various models, for what it's worth;

GL1000 - Looks lovely, but is difficult to keep running properly, mainly due to those darned carburettors.

GL1100 - The nicest looking of them all. This is the last Goldwing that still managed to look like a motorcycle. Easy enough to maintain and miles more reliable than the GL1000.

GL1200 - Very nimble, much more so than the previous models. I hated the styling, too many angles and this was the one that people started to call a 2 wheeled car. The LTD & SEI versions are real animals on the move, but nightmares to repair when something goes wrong with the FI or computer.

GL1500 - Handles even better than the GL1200, the extra weight doesn't seem to matter. Brakes aren't really up to it, that's my only criticism. Very automotive in the way the engine is made.

GL1800 - The best handling of them all so far. Goes faster and stops better than I ever expected any Goldwing to.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

ubarw wrote:
Graham B wrote:
I've owned the following;

GL1000 Nice bike. Not sure if it's sports or tourer.

GL1100 Brilliant bike. Easy to work on. Only overshadowed by the 1500.

GL1200 Hated it with a vengance. Poor handling. Pig to maintain (which I had to do all too often).

GL1500 Extra brilliant bike. Long legged, comfortable, easy to work on. My long term aim is to get another one if I ever get the chance to go long distances again.

GL1800 Never ridden. Saw one, thought Morris Minor and just can't get that thought out of my head.

After all that. The best wing is the one that best suits your needs and is reliable.
I appreciate all the replies, but this is the type I was hoping for... I want to know what people think of the various models before I go looking at bikes...
It looks like you already own one of the best!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Now maybe you doubtful creatures will listen up. :whip:Jason the senior "Guru" has spoken and he knows what he is talking about. :clapper:Gosh i only ride a Honda 50 but i know that the :18red:is the best touring m/cycle on the market. :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

I think the 87 Aspencade is the best wing. Why because it's the youngest I can afford. My advice is quite simple, get the newest and tidiest wing you can afford. Every bike ever made has pro's and con's, and as people are different they will ahve different opinions. Personally i think the 1500 is the prettiest, but plenty of people argue adamantly for every model.

I love my 1200, however if I could afford a 1500 I'd get one, If I could afford an 1800 I'd get one of those. Young and Tidy and Low Miles sure beats Old and Rough and High Miles.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey Graham B :stumped: I would like to see how many members on this forum who ride the :18red:and are not happy with it, andwant to go back to the :15red: you must be taking the wrong tablets. :crying:eek:r this is the joke of the year. :grinner:

Don't know about this forum but I know two locally who have.

As I said, each to their own.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Graham B wrote:
Don't know about this forum but I know two locally who have.

As I said, each to their own.
Each to their own is correct. :clapper: But the :18red:is the best Goldwing ever built by Honda. :weightlifter:There is nothing on the road that can match her. :jumper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:
Young and Tidy and Low Miles sure beats Old and Rough and High Miles.

Andrew
Damn, this is getting personal, I ain't that old!

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

Went to trade up to an 1800 but couldn't get on with it, so decided to hold onto the 1500 and buy a new blackbird for when I wanted a sharp handling bike, amazingly this was cheaper than trading up to a new 1800. I've since traded the 'bird for a transalp, much for suitable for West Cork roads, still happy with my decision.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

All the Goldwings have something different to offer, I doubt if you can say any one is actually best. For instance, if you can afford to buy new, I guess best will be anew model.
I'm a bit late in on this thread, but my views are;

GL1100, absolutely the nicest looking of all the Goldwings. It still looked like a motorcycle and had all the nice curves of 70's bikes, while still managing to be relatively up to the minute in terms of technology. The GL1100 is just as reliable as the GL1200, more so in respect of the stator and charging system. Handling isn't too far off that of the GL1200, although the smaller wheels of the later bike make it much more nimble at low town speeds. The GL1100 addressed all the shortcomings and problems of the GL1000.
My favourite model of the GL1100 run would be a 1983 Aspencade. All the bells & whistles and alloy wheels and in two-tone Wineberry with the salmon coloured inserts.

GL1800, has to be the best handling and in my opinion the safest Goldwing to ride. The first Wing with brakes that do what they are supposed to do and the whole riding experience is excellent. Needs plenty of add-ons before it looks like a Goldwing, otherwise other bikers tend to mistake the GL1800 for a big sports bike :p.

GL1500, the first Goldwing to use major amounts of automotive technology, especially in the engine. If you don't want a four cylinder Goldwing, the 1500 looks the part even more than the GL1800. The GL1500 looks like a Goldwing the minuteeven non-Goldwing fansclap eyes on it. There's just no mistaking a GL1500. Just a pity the brakes weren't upgraded during it's lifespan, 13 years with barely adequate brakes to stop all that weight was a major two-fingered salute to us all from Honda, especially when we all kept asking for better brakes instead of cosmetic updates. Probably the most unbreakable Goldwing model to date.

GL1200, much nimbler than the earlier models and more grunt low-down. I personally never took to the styling of the dressed versions, too squared off and typical of butch looking cars in the early 80's. Looks out of place now among all the bikes with nice curves. Feels very much lighter to ride than a GL1100.

GL1000, is the most deceptive Goldwing of them all. Plenty of power available, but the handling can be hairy and that's down to the shocks (you relly need air shocks here). The bargain prices for these early models can be offset by all the TLC needed to keep them running well.
I remember in 1975 working for a company and one of the managers had a huge poster of a yellow GL1000. I'd just bought a 6 year old CD175 for I think £200 and the price of a GL1000 was about £2500. With a weekly wage of just £30, a GL1000 was way out of reach (you could buy a house in some parts of Dublin for around the price of a new Wing back then).

Ther is a Goldwing model out there to suit anyone who is interested in them. Whatever you buy will be "best" for you at that time.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I appreciate all the replies, but this is the type I was hoping for... I want to know what people think of the various models before I go looking at bikes...

......................................................................................................................................

ubarw, why don't you go out and make a decision on what you like for yourself and surprise us with your choice. There are good things and bad things to be said about each and every model of Gold Wing depending on your wants and needs and how you see things. Kind of like choosing a woman. It's the total package that matters, not just what your friends think about her.

Vic

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
imported post

axelwik wrote:
It looks like you already own one of the best!
I didnt plan on getting one for some time. I was just thinking about how much fun I am having, and realize thatI will likely be on two wheels for some time to come.

My current plan is to keep working on Bargoyle, see how much I can do, and maybe ride it till spring of '07. As long parts are available for my 1100...

Thanks for the feedback, though.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey ubarw :stumped: Now you tell us that your not changing your wing untill 2007:whip: god only knows what type of wing will be available then. :crying:

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

My first Goldwing was a new 1982 Aspencade. "How would Honda ever be able to top this" I said.

In 1984 at a local rally I won a 1984 Aspencade. "Man did they make some major improvements" I recall saying to myself.

In 1987 after letting someone talk me into selling my '84 Wing to them I bought a new '87 Aspencade. Pretty much the same bike I was sure there were some improvements, just a bit more suttle.

In 1988 I bought a new 1500 and was absolutely convinced that there was now way that Honda could top this model.

I have just recently bought a one owner1994 1500 SE, my first used bike with 79,000 miles on it and I felt like I was riding a brand new motorcycle.

Making a short story long, I loved every one of them.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey sixt5 :leprechaun: Wait till you get the :18red:this is the King of them all. :clapper:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey ubarw :stumped: Now you tell us that your not changing your wing untill 2007:whip: god only knows what type of wing will be available then. :crying:

Given nomoney concerns, I would be on a new bike tomorrow. Bargoyle has plenty of life left in her, for sure.

I am just sooooo enamored with riding, now that I am back on 2 wheels...I enjoy looking, reading, learning, and understanding all the differences.

I know the user name is already taken, but I am a "wing nut".

:sozzled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I hate to agree with that island bloke, but I have to agree the best Goldwing is most likely the 1800. I just have to believe Honda is progressing in a positive direction. I may never get a chance to ride the best, but my 1500 is enough to keep me happy on two wheels!:goofygrin:

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.