Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm confused.
I need to replace the brake pads on '99 SE and I can not find anything in the manual as to what type of pad was OEM. (Maybe I just missed it.)

What is the difference in a sintered, ceramic, organic and metal pads?
Should I care and why?

Any help from the brain trust here would be appreciated.

Jim.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

I would think you should not use anything harder than what came on the bike. If it had organic pads to begin with (which it probably did) then probably not good to use metalic. This might wear the rotors. Ceramic is cooler but not can't remember if they are harder. I don't know what "sintered" is.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Sintered and metal contain metal fragments. They are prone to eat discs. Stay away if possible. They do increase the stopping in the wet by a lot so if this is your normal riding weather then might be worth the wear to discs. Ceramic are for pure racers only. Organic would have been the OEM fitted type. Ask locally of other bikers and see if a particular manufacture work best.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

I just put ceramic on my car. I did it to stop all the brake dust from collecting on my mag wheels. Works fine.
Just 2 cents worth.:)

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

with disk prices as high as they are . im thinking organic with kelvar from EBC. just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

As usual the info was helpful. Thanks so much to all that replied.
I knew I could count on you guys.

Jim.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,324 Posts
imported post

I've tried aftermarket pads too. My conclusion?

OEM will work better.

OEM will last longer.

OEM doesn't cost sinificantly more than aftermarket.

OEM supplies new springs as necessary.

Honda has already done real research and testing on this matter, specific to youryear and model machine.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

Also, stay away from cheap no-name pads!!!! They will tear your rotors up, and you don't even want to price new rotors, {shudder} If you're going aftermarket, I strongly suggest staying with EBC. I couldn't agree with wda-83wing more!

Johnny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.