Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding the carb's on my new 85 1200. There is a green crust all over from the fuel. It's cleaning up nicely in the ultrasonic cleaner though.

But looking at the floats they all 4 have got the crust inside of them too. If I stand them up on end like in the pic, and shine a bright light down through them, I can see dark liquid moving around in there. So they have leaked.

I'm sure they are trash, right?

I submersed one in tap water and did not see any bubbles. But if I put it in the hot ultrasonic cleaner I can see bubbles.

Seems strange to me that all 4 are like that. Is this from the ethyinal. Admittedly I did give it a healthy dose of seafoam when I got it to see if it would help. Could that have made the floats leak. I doubt it. But the poor thing was only running on 1 cylinder. Three of the float valves were stuck,,,lol.

The upper one has been cleaned. The lower one has not been touched.

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
Any fluid inside the float is bad. The chances are pretty slim for all 4 to be bad but slim is still a chance.

Reactions: siouxindian

·
Premium Member
6,273 Posts
The one thing that is for sure is there can not be liquid inside. Seafoam is not the issue. You can use Seafoem up to 100% with no damage though the engine might not run. I have used it 50/50 with no issues.
I wonder if water got in the carbs and froze. I'm not sure if that would crack plastic or not but if there is liquid inside the float it would be my best guess.Usually if you pinch the float you can find the source of the leak as the liquid will be displaced....if you care.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts