Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is this one of those sujects that nobody knows for sure orare the Honda people correct about only using Honda coolant in our Goldwings?

I read some of the other threads but none really identifies a brand name coolant other than a Honda product that can be used.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

sixt5,

The only thing I ever heard is to make sure it is silicate free antifreeze. The silicate tears up the seals in the water pump and is tough on the aluminum motor. I don't know about the aluminum part though. The heads on my Ford Crown Victoria are aluminum and I run regular antifreeze in it. :baffled:

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

There's a few brands in the auto parts store that are "silicate Free" that you can use!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's the waterpump seals, I believe they score the pump shaft with silicates, it won't hurt the aluminum in the engine. Sounds like you get microscopic hard particles of silica that embed in the seal edges and then act like fine grinding compound.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
It's the waterpump seals, I believe they score the pump shaft with silicates, it won't hurt the aluminum in the engine. Sounds like you get microscopic hard particles of silica that embed in the seal edges and then act like fine grinding compound.

Yep, silica is like having super-fine sand in the cooling system. Same stuff actually since silicon is a large constituant of sand (sand is composed of mostly quartz crystals SiO[suB]2[/suB]). Since the water pump has an aluminum shaft that'ssurrounded by a rubber seal, the silica grinds away at the soft aluminum and eventually causes a leak. Silica is added to conventional coolant to help scrub away scale and corrosion and doesn't cause any problems with water pumps witha steel shaft (most cars).

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

If the Honda stuff is so easy to get, why bother wasting brain-power looking for other stuff (that may or may not be as good) just to save a few quid per gallon? :shakehead:

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
imported post

I had never heard the advice on using silicate free anti-freeze. About 2 weeks ago I put maybe 2 cupfuls (12- 16 ounces - (.45 liters)) into the reservoir. Should I be getting this coolant out of there now and put in new? Thanks in advance. As always, this site is great.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

puttitin wrote:
I had never heard the advice on using silicate free anti-freeze. About 2 weeks ago I put maybe 2 cupfuls (12- 16 ounces - (.45 liters)) into the reservoir. Should I be getting this coolant out of there now and put in new? Thanks in advance. As always, this site is great.
Half a litre seems like a lot in a system that only holds about 3 or 4 litres. I wouldn't think you'd have to rush out and drain it straight away, leaving it till next service will be fine.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I run the Mercedes silicate free anti-freeze in my bike... I just happened to have it onhand because I also do all my own work on my fancy cage (aka Marlena II, aka theBig Rig)as well as the bike. I have run almost 3 thousand miles now and it seems to like it. I don't really reccomend using it if you are trying to save money though, because it is about $20 a gallon. If it turns out to be some miracle fluid over the next couple of years, I will post it here.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

I use the Prestone "Dex-cool compatible" stuff. It's cheaper than Honda and Dex-cool and I have had no problem in my wings or Magna.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Me too, I checked their website and found out their extended life stuff has no silicates and have been using it. Nothing wrong with other stuff but this is widely available and handy.

The most important consideration for coolant is the same as oil, be sure there's some in there.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

True, it's cheaper at Honda auto. I think the auto stuff comes premixed from them so keep that in mind when comparing to a gallon of straight unwatered stuff from another source.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

Here's something to thing about. I'm sure it's been mentioned before but...

I am using the Evans NPG+ coolant for about 2 months now and I am so far happy with the results.

I have noticed the major difference in the hot weather above 80 degrees F':cooldevil:

The gauge shows higher than before just like the tech reps said it would but the big difference is the speed of cooling down once I stop riding.

When I turn the engine off and wait for the cooling fan to turn off before turning off the igniton, the engine dissipates the heat much faster than before.

Once the gauge hits a certain temp reading (just past the midway point on the analog gauge) it stays there and won't go into the hot/overheat range.

Not that it ever did before but, I guess I have just taken note of it since doing this.

I know there is a few others using it here and I hope that the reception of this reply is better than the gwrra board when I came "out of the closet or garage" and posted my comments there...:bash:

here's a link to the website..

http://www.evanscooling.com/main27.htm

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hey, if the stuff works for you, it works. No one has said anything negative about Evans except for the price so far. Seems to me it would be hard to say anything negative about it unless more than one person had a bad experience with it.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I can't help it.

I LIKE Evans NPG+ so far. As was stated, my analog guage gets to just a little above 1/2 and never goes higher. My bike cools down quicker. No boil over.

That's all.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

sixt5

The red coolant available at your local Toyota or Lexus dealershipis also silicate free.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.