Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I saw a 1200 in great shape for sale but was gun shy to buy it today because it seems like the "1200's" have more problems than other models, yet i think they are better looking than most!

I'm I wrong or do they have more problems?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
imported post

Well it had a four year production run, but just how many were made. I'm sure I saw a post or link to that info on this site before......:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I don't think they have "More " problems.. If you read the history of the EC harness, and the stator problem ... all sorts of three pronged pluged stator driven hondas wind up behind the barn , unable to be started because they are putting out  only 8 volts ... People will abandon a 250 cc to the elements ,  but to "throw  away " a Wing seems a bit steep.. so people are working on them .. trying to get them to go again... Hence the work arounds ... Stator hard wiring, EC harness, etc,etc........................ and the stator problem was a design FLAW.. Honda's fault.. Same as cracked frames ...'cept no free recall...../forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif. and many of these machines are going 200 000 to 300 000 miles.... (I used to own a 200 cc that had to be rebuilt every 20 000 !!!)  so I think they are fantactic bikes, when you consider the "Troubles per mile "  which  should be very low, for a good bike..... I think  when I think about  bikes I "Threw  away " , and troubles  on previous bikes... that  if I take the tremendously high mileage into account... these are remarkably trouble free...and finally........ Most 1200's  are 20 years old ... Most other brands are almost all gone  by 10 years.. and few of those live to  need a belt change, or a caliper total replacement ..... Just visit a big bike wrecker and look at all the 8 to 12 yo bikes laying around ...... and oh yes...  It IS the best looking of them all, IMHO .. SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Registered
462 Posts
imported post

I bought my 85 Apencade speciafically because its the best looking style of the Wing,IMO.Plus the money I saved buying this bike more than makes up for anything I put into it,so far.I `m so far very happy with it and its durability,although the Stator went out but it should have been expected.

I`ve put 8300 miles on my Wing since May..I`ll get 2500 more,hopefully,this year.While I have a few minor mechanical fixes to do in the offseason,most of my money will go into upgrading some pitted chrome and getting it intercom able.

I wouldnt trade my 85 for any other year (Well,I would but the intent on my part would be to buy another 85 after I sold the newer one).

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
I saw a 1200 in great shape for sale but was gun shy to buy it today because it seems like the "1200's" have more problems than other models, yet i think they are better looking than most!

I'm I wrong or do they have more problems?:baffled:
wingdawg101, I'm not sure the 1200 has more problems than other bikes of that era it's just there are a lot of those 1200 bikes STILL being used every day.

One good thing about the 1200 Wing's problems, they are ALL repairable & if done as preventive maintenance they actually have very few additional problems.. Also, all the 1200's problems can be easily repaired before they happen so you can end up with a very reliable bike. I use a 1200 as my daily commuter ride (have put 3 miles on my truck since March) & after enhancing the charging system connections, adding an AGM battery & upgrading the headlight it has given me 0 problems for 10's of thousands of miles..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

My 85 Aspy has 196,000 k on it, after repairing the small wiring problems adding an EC harness, next battery will be AGM :)
lets see....in 20 years of riding what other than the alternator has actually gone wrong............ oh yes the speed sensor was replaced on warranty....the recall on the ignition switch...and a metal part on the trunk..... other than that it has run fine.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
There's a whole lot of members on this forum having a happy time with 1200s. It's a great bike, lots and lots of them still going strong. All bikes tend to have some problems, the 1200s areas of concern tend to be electrical, mainly the stator. If you don't overload the system with a lot of extra lights, and junk and change oil often there's a good chance you won't have a stator problem. If you do, there are replacements on the market. You could also go the auto alternator route as others here have. One thing to remember too is that you're going to hear of lots of problems on the forum since that's what we do. There are many 1200 riders who aren't experiencing problems that you won't hear about. Personally if the 1200 had a reverse I'd probably still have one.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

I am a first time owner of a 84 Aspencade and I have asked a lot of questions on this site to familiarize myself withthe bike but I have not had any real problems with it. Replaced timing belts and radiator hoses (preventive maint.) and a water pump. Have replaced pumps in cars too so that didn't bother me as far as feeling the bike has a lot of problems. Hard wired the stator (took about 30 minutes but I am slow and since it was the first thing I did to the bike was a littlle hesitant but the great people on this site held my hand and talked me through it and that I am sure prevented me from loosing the stator to a short. If the bike is in good shape and the orice is good go for it. I have not regreted getting mine and hopefully you won't either. If you get it ride and enjoy. Randy

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

I bought my 1200GLI on June 30th with 21,810 miles on it after hanging around these guys for awhile, so I knew what to look for (am far more aware now, too). Fixed the obvious stuff, changed belts, tires, all fluids, scrubbed every square cm and removed the useless gingerbread, taking it back to factory stock. I love this bike. I've put 4,000 miles on it in 2 months, even though I also still ride my V-Twin as well. I just put new (Drag Specialties) mirrors on it tonight (crap - the mirrors distort the image) :Xand a new Slipstreamer windshield (w/vent) - it's a gorgeous windshield :D!

I'm headed from upstate NY to Bar Harbor starting Sunday, the 4th, to arrive Tuesday. If anyone wants to hook up, my cell number is 518-496-9804. :waving:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

My 1984 GL1200 Aspencade has proven to be the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The only let down I ever had with it was the alternator which I quickly converted to a car alternator.

If you perform regular routine maintenance and drive the 1200 in a normal fashion it can and has delivered up to 500,000 miles of almost trouble free driving for some owners.

Vic

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

My '84 interstate is fast reliable and economical and wouldn't change it for the world.

Ok so I had to put in a new stator, new coils and now a fork seal has blown, most of the money spent has been on the little extra's to personalise and make the bike more comfortable for me to ride the distances I do ( about 15-20,000 a year). Only one type of bike will do that without any major troubles and the best looking of themis the 1200.........:D

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Glad to see you guys love your 1200's!

Is there another "stator" to put on it besides a "car" Alternator?

Like the "Compu-fire" for the 1500?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I allready searched this question about aternate (LOL)  chargers  on the GWRRA board about a year ago...  at the time it seemed the only alternative to a car Alternator was a slightly better (about 15% more)  but essentially stock coated stator.....                                                             http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...productId=p201211&leafCatId=41202#altImages                                                                 Like this . ...... maybe they will come up with something from Compufire ....... are you against nibbling plastic, and grinding metal for a day or two, to fit a Piggott alternator conversion ?.......................I think I agree with you, in spirit... .... When  / if my electrics fail .. I think I would rather have it as stock as possible. SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I guess the new stator vs. the auto alternator comes down to personal preference or philosophy. Both should give good results, a new stator should at least last as long as the original and most of those have gone more than twenty years. You wouldn't balk at replacing a clutch at twenty years or complain about it's service life, so replacing the stator after twenty years service isn't all that bad. The new stators are probably longer lasting with better materials too.

On the other hand if you like to add lots of extra electrical load with lights and such perhaps the auto alternator is the way to go with it's higher output. You have to be a bit of a tinkerer too to get it all up and running right. Both routes are viable and have been sucessful so it's really a matter of your personal bent, kinda like tires!

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

The nicest thing about using the car alternator is that if it fails while you're on the road you can easily remove and replace it in about 20 minutes. The other nice feature is that when it comes time to inspect or replace the brushes, diodes or regulator, you can do so for just a little pocket change.

Essentially the car alternator brings the 1200 up in technology as far as a reliable touring bike goes because if the stock Honda alternator dies while you're far from home on the road you could conceivably spend thousands of dollars to either ship the bike back home and get it repaired at a shopand then you stand a chance of getting ripped off by a local repair shop who may overcharge for the stock alternator repair or replacement. If you factor in the week it takes most shops to get the parts and to clear their schedule to get your stock alternator repaired and then addlodging and food expense while you wait for repairs it can all add up to a big ticket if the stock alternator dies on the road. Even the stock voltage regulator is outrageously priced if you can find a new one, $300. approximately here in Canada and most shops here want approximately $1200. to replace the stock statorand then you have to include incidentals such as oil filter, gaskets, rusted bolts and possible rusted exhaust systems that might be better off not being disturbed unless you have a healthy bank account.

Anyone that can turn basic hand tools can easily replace the car alternator on the side of the road for less than a hundred dollars. Try doing that with a stock Honda GL1200 alternator. And the conversion alternator really is quite simple on a non fuel injected Wing.

It just makes sense to use the car alternator if your GL1200 is a daily driver.

Vic

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
imported post

My 85 Aspy 1200 has been the best and most reliable bike I've ever owned!! I have fixed the usual problem areas before any problem developed and have had nothing but great service from it! With 145,000 km on it I have no plans of selling her off. Looks great, rides great, and many good comments about it as well. My buddy's 1500 has been a load of hassles for him, alternators, bank angle sensor, lousy shift to 4th gear,
to name a few. I've rescued him twice dead on the side of the road .....mine just keeps going. Think I'll keep it. I never give it a second thought in taking my Aspy on a cross country trip. Just keep up on the maintenance and they are bulletproof. My good luck and 2 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
imported post

My 85 Aspy 1200 has been the best and most reliable bike I've ever owned!! I have fixed the usual problem areas before any problem developed and have had nothing but great service from it! With 145,000 km on it I have no plans of selling her off. Looks great, rides great, and many good comments about it as well. My buddy's 1500 has been a load of hassles for him, alternators, bank angle sensor, lousy shift to 4th gear,
to name a few. I've rescued him twice dead on the side of the road .....mine just keeps going. Think I'll keep it. I never give it a second thought in taking my Aspy on a cross country trip. Just keep up on the maintenance and they are bulletproof. My good luck and 2 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I think without a doubt that JMD really , really , really  thinks his  Aspy 1200 has been the best and most reliable bike  he has ever ever  ever owned!! .His  just keeps going, and going , and going   (is that three ?  yes !)       They are bulletproof(bulletproof(bulletproof )))... LOL  LOL  LOL   SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.