Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached are pics. It seems that the brake is leaking fluid, or that something is leaking fluid onto the brake.

The fluid is kind of gelatinous. Could it be shock fluid? I know the former owner replaced the front fork.

Should I rebuild the brake with a brake rebuild kit? Or does a leak like this mean I should replace the whole brake caliper and cylinder?

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
Looks like the rubber on the slide pins melted. Brake fluid or the wrong grease would do that.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Registered
201 Posts
Brake fluid does not eat rubber. Oil does. Your leaking fork could have contaminated the brake rubber parts. Either way the caliper needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Has your brake fluid level gone down?
Most folks will not do this, but brake fluid Is bitter, oil is not. 😇. Do not drink or eat either one.
David

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Calipers on these are pretty indestructible but they are nearing 40yrs old and could use some TLC. I would at least remove them from the rotor then push out the pins and remove the pads then pump the brakes watch the pistons closely they should extend and rebound very slightly every pump, if you have no rebound the piston needs cleaned very fine steel wool will do the trick and it can be done with some patience and care without removing the pistyon. Stop when you see the leading edge of the seals on the piston. Your can take a rag and put it over the caliper if you're worried about cosmetics and use a pair of channel locks to push the pistons back in, when you push one piston in the other should pop further out so you may want to reinstall one pad so you can more easily apply pressure to both pads. It takes quite a bit of pressure to push them back and going slow seems to work better... The idea is to exercise the caliper and free things up. I have done this on more than a handfull of 11 &1200's and I have never had to rebuild a caliper and have only had to rebuild 2 front masters and 1 rear a good brake fluid flush and going to travel limits a couple times does wonders!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Good information,I bet theres a lot of these older bikes that have never had the calipers serviced.

Reactions: hitecluddite

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did this and the rear had some rust on it that I got off with Coke soaking and some scrubing. Works good now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts