Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Went on a trip the last 2 weeks with some friends. One rides a 2008 GL1800. While on the trip his front left wheel bearing was grinding and getting hot. We stopped at a Honda Dealer and he discovered the wheel bearing was bad. But when he tore it apart he found there were 4 bearings 2 on each side plus the dust covers. He showed my friend that the schematics showed only one on each side and the dust cover. Is this normal ? When I change the bearings on my 2000 GL1500 will I find there are 4 bearings in the front wheel ? Even though it shows only 1 on each side.. :?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Interesting posting, to the point I got my 1800 book out. The schematic shows 4 bearings, 2 on the left and 2 on the right with dust covers each.
This would support your comment on the 08. On your 1500 not sure, needs to be checked out.

Surprised that the 08 bearing went out so soon. My 07 has over 64K and when I re-tire these will be reviewed for sure.

My manual calls for 4 of a #6004LU brg.
http://tungpei.en.alibaba.com/produ...2538838/Deep_Groove_Ball_Bearings_6004LU.html

Check the site above for a review.

Thanks for the post.
Ned

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

I just had mine replaced this last spring-- I believe there are two in the 1500 (though I admit farming this job out).

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
imported post

I just done mine on "98" 1500 and it has 1 right and 1 left. I just looked up on an 1800 and it is showing 2 on left and 2 on right for total of 4. It is showing the same for part numbers on all 4. I hope this helps.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,594 Posts
imported post

Let me get this straight...

The DEALER installed 2 bearings where there should have been 4? Where is this dealer? I think folks should be warned.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The schematic I saw which was in the OEM section of Cyclemax only showed 2 bearings. On on each side. Attached....

Attachments

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I've got the bearings out of my 05 wheel that I'm getting powder coated, it only has one bearing on each side along with a dust shield. I'm running a 2010 wheel on the front at the moment, and ifI remember, it only has one bearing on each side with a dust shield. Both wheels are using the original axle, and both wheels came with the bearings that were in them since new. I looked up the fitche on the 08's, they show one bearing on each side, and one shield on each side. I replaced the bearings on my 1500 that I used to have, and only one bearing on each side, just like every GW that I've owned.:smiler:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
I've got the bearings out of my 05 wheel that I'm getting powder coated, it only has one bearing on each side along with a dust shield.  I'm running a 2010 wheel on the front at the moment, and if I remember, it only has one bearing on each side with a dust shield.  Both wheels are using the original axle, and both wheels came with the bearings that were in them since new. I looked up the fitche on the 08's, they show one bearing on each side, and one shield on each side.  I replaced the bearings on my 1500 that I used to have, and only one bearing on each side, just like every GW that I've owned.:smiler:

The schematic in the book shows the two bearings together as a unit with the split line indicating two with the dust cover off to the side.

Hmmm, do you think Mother made a mistake? Naw, never happen.
:thumbsdown:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

First of all I find it pretty disturbing that an '08 Goldwing (or any other nearly new motorcycle) would have a wheel bearing failure. I have never had a wheel bearing failure on a motorcycle, in fact I never even considered it possible. I always figured the engine would go first. True I did recently find a rear wheel failure, where the bearing goes, but as far as I can tell, the bearing was still good, it was the aluminum wheel that failed, due to a manufacturing defect. Still made it to 93,000 miles.

Anyway I got curious and checked the diagram myself. It clearly shows ONE bearing and ONE dust shield per side. There is obviously no way you could get 2 bearings in there, unless each bearing were only half as wide as what is shown in the '08 parts fiche.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Does no one including the dealer know how to read a parts book?:shock:

The book clearly states that part #19, the wheel bearing although pictured as a single part is actually two 6004 ball bearings.
19 BEARING (6004) (X2)
91055-MCA-A61

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
Does no one including the dealer know how to read a parts book?:shock:

The book clearly states that part #19, the wheel bearing although pictured as a single part is actually two 6004 ball bearings.
19      BEARING (6004) (X2)
            91055-MCA-A61
Quite right on the above.
Mother drew in double brg. sets in the schematic on page 14-20 of my service manual covering the 07 but the nomenclature indicates one each side if interpreted correctly.

See, If I did not have access to all of you, I would have purchased 4 brgs instead of two. (if needed):action:

The comment of why the premature bearing wear is present should be pursued for sure, or is it something else?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Longboater wrote:
See, If I did not have access to all of you, I would have purchased 4 brgs instead of two. (if needed):action:

The comment of why the premature bearing wear is present should be pursued for sure, or is it something else?
The parts book is not to clear on what you get when you order one bearing. Is it a single 6004 bearing or is it two.:?

As for bearing life, some go for 500,000 miles or more and some fail after only a few miles. If the bike is still under warranty mother Honda pays, after the warranty you pay.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I was at the dealership with my friend. I watched them place 4 bearings and 2 dust seals in the wheel. He called us back there to show my friend that even though he thought and it showed 2, he had taken out 4 and was replacing 4..

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Tank4300 wrote:
I was at the dealership with my friend. I watched them place 4 bearings and 2 dust seals in the wheel. He called us back there to show my friend that even though he thought and it showed 2, he had taken out 4 and was replacing 4..
He's correct, I just went out in my garage and opened the bag that I had the old bearings and spacer stored in from the 05 wheel that I'm getting powder coated. (I have new bearings to install, and there are 4 bearings in that package!):shock: The picture shows everything, except one missing dust seal that came out of my 05 wheel.:shock: I assumed there were only 2 bearings like the 1500 and earlier bikes.:(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

I would guess the reason for a premature failure is the Axle nut not being torqued to spec or during a tire change, unseen damage to the brgs while reinstalling axle

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

jnel57 wrote:
I would guess the reason for a premature failure is the Axle nut not being torqued to spec or during a tire change,  unseen damage to the brgs while reinstalling axle
You might have hit on it, over torquing could put too much side stress on the bearings.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

2 bearings per side. When installing - the inner pair have the seals facing inboard and the outer pair have the seals facing outboard.
These are low-speed bearings. Grainger carries the same bearing (NTN 6004) as a high-speed bearing with seals on both sides. Low-speed bearings have a tighter fitting seal. The high-speed bearings have a looser seal so the lip doesn't burn when spinning at 3000 rpm. The metal parts are the same - just the seals are different. Either one will work.
BTW...Remember to put the spacer back in before you put the second set of bearings in. Don't ask how I know this.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

GregForesi wrote:
2 bearings per side. When installing - the inner pair have the seals facing inboard and the outer pair have the seals facing outboard.
These are low-speed bearings. Grainger carries the same bearing (NTN 6004) as a high-speed bearing with seals on both sides. Low-speed bearings have a tighter fitting seal. The high-speed bearings have a looser seal so the lip doesn't burn when spinning at 3000 rpm. The metal parts are the same - just the seals are different. Either one will work.
BTW...Remember to put the spacer back in before you put the second set of bearings in. Don't ask how I know this.
Great info there Greg which makes sense all the way around.
Coming your way to enjoy some cool / cold weather in the fall. Testing out my winter gear early and staying with friends on the east side for a few.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
imported post

For any of you that have changed the front bearings, what symptoms caused you to determine that new ones were required?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.