Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well after getting the water pump and timing belts done another gremlin seems to have cropped up. (Gonna have to get one of them thar bells I guess.) When makng a left hand turn or just leaning into a left hand curve I can feel a grinding in the front end. Jacked the bike up and spun the wheel and checked to see if there was any play in the wheel. Spins fine no growl or looseness in the front that I can detect. When running straight and level or in a right hand turn I don't notice any growl or grinding. Kind of confused on what cold cause this. Where should I start? Thanks Randy

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
Well after getting the water pump and timing belts done another gremlin seems to have cropped up. (Gonna have to get one of them thar bells I guess.) When makng a left hand turn or just leaning into a left hand curve I can feel a grinding in the front end. Jacked the bike up and spun the wheel and checked to see if there was any play in the wheel. Spins fine no growl or looseness in the front that I can detect. When running straight and level or in a right hand turn I don't notice any growl or grinding. Kind of confused on what cold cause this. Where should I start? Thanks Randy
Randy, while it could be many things tire wear is most likely. The side ribs on the tires wear & can cause a noise when leaned over.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Twisty, thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I considered that and really looked the tire over as best I could. It looks almost new and I could see no evidence of cupping or uneven wear. Not saying that it couldn't be that but I couldn't tell by looking at it. Randy

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Run your hand over the tire to feel for cupping, also check the rear tire, noises have a funny way of being elusive.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
Twisty, thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I considered that and really looked the tire over as best I could. It looks almost new and I could see no evidence of cupping or uneven wear. Not saying that it couldn't be that but I couldn't tell by looking at it. Randy
Randy, if you are sure it isn't the tire (try about 22 psi for a short low speed ride) then maybe make sure the front wheel is centered between the forks & you don't have a brakerotor rubbing a fork or brake caliper housing when it's side loaded in a turn.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

If all of the above doesn't find anything, check out your axel and wheel bearings. Even though you don't feel anything when you have the wheel off the ground, you also aren't putting several hundred pounds of down force on it.

Check this out after you follow the steps listed above. Always follow the KISS Principal in trouble shooting. Keep It Simple Stupid.(or Silly however you want to phrase it:p) I for one will interested to see what you find out. I think I might learn something.:waving:

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Also have a look at your front brake calipers, make sure that the clearance between the fork and caliper is correct, a too small a clearance would allow contact when the forks flex in a turn.

adjustment is made by loosening the bottom fork to axle clamps and easing the forks apart before tightening.

Johno

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
Also have a look at your front brake calipers, make sure that the clearance between the fork and caliper is correct, a too small a clearance would allow contact when the forks flex in a turn.

adjustment is made by loosening the bottom fork to axle clamps and easing the forks apart before tightening.

Johno
also check the pin which allows the calipers to "float" if it is stuck you may be getting a pad which is rubbing the rotor from the small amount of flexion when you turn

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the good suggestions. Looks like I have a little work to do. Will get on it this weekend and let you know what I find. Randy

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Well it appears my suggestion has been taken. I have a similar problem, bike makes a "growl" so to speak in left hand corners. My bike is a 99, previous owner had it setting for long periods in between rides (only has 12,400 miles) and has original rubber. The following is my diagnosis.......

Being that the tires are not radials, and guessing the previous owner had the bike on the side stand when not riding, the tires haveflat spots (cupping) only on the left side. When I push the bike in a left corner :goofygrin:noise will occur. Push the bike in a right corner :goofygrin:no change in noise. This is my simple, unmechanically schooled diagnosis.

I am currently saving and debating on which set of new tires I will beputting on the bike. My riding style is not layed back, love the twisty turny roads ;). So going through that personal struggle of what tire is best? :baffled:

Hope this helps in some fashion.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

any "flat spots" from sitting on the side stand should smooth out once the tire warms up. Never heard of a tire wearing flat sitting in the garage.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Well, ok.... as I stated not a mechanically backed statement. But question, if that might not be plausable.... why would I have cupping off center on the tire? :baffled:

Anything I should be wary of? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

wingin family wrote:
Well, ok.... as I stated not a mechanically backed statement. But question, if that might not be plausable.... why would I have cupping off center on the tire? :baffled:

Anything I should be wary of? Thanks
Normal as the miles build up. The tire slips & sticks as you push it around a curve or corner so cups that way.. Also as you roll it overthe outsideribsspeed the tireup as that part of the tire is smaller diameter. As you work it on & off that smaller radius it tends topull rubber.. As you make slow corners & parking lot direction changes the bike tends to try & go straight so pushes the tire forward as well as sideways. You can feel that wallowing & working as you make slow speed full lock turns.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I noticed that you say your '99 has the original rubber on it. 6 year old tires. I'm glad to hear you're considering putting new rubber on it.

I have quite a bit older bike(83 I)than you but I really love the Avon Venom Xs. My bike handles like a sport bike. I've got about 4000 miles on them since I put them on this spring.Rain or hot tar snakes haven't made me clench my "stuff" in fear.

Good luck and hope things work out well for you.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Twisty, I do understand and have experienced normal cupping before, which is why I am a little confused by the the cupping of this bike. The cupping of the tire is only on the left side, off center. My prior bikes have cupped across tire, or on both sides. One quick question, it couldn't be a bearing or alignment could it?? Pulling what hairs I have out :gunhead:.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Thank you Hobie. I have heard alot about the Avon's. Some of the conversation hasn't been good for low speeds, but excellent for corners and speed. Years ago, before I had to sell bike temporarily for family, I had a 96. I put Michelin radials on and loved them. Anyone know if they are still available?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

wingin family wrote:
Twisty, I do understand and have experienced normal cupping before, which is why I am a little confused by the the cupping of this bike. The cupping of the tire is only on the left side, off center. My prior bikes have cupped across tire, or on both sides. One quick question, it couldn't be a bearing or alignment could it?? Pulling what hairs I have out :gunhead:.
wingin , probably not an alignment problem as the front isn't stationary so would self align. Possibly a bent fork but unlikely if it rides & functions correctly.

If you weren't the person riding it, thenthe the PO probably made more aggressive (or only) harder L/H turns or corners.. For some reason people find it easier to corner a motorcycle more aggressively to the left, probably a function of lane position, down the road sight distance, faster corners due to more road showing in L/H corners, etc.. Then you have the road crown issue, if the bike spent a lot of it's time on back roads with a heavy road crown the bike was ridden with the left side of tire leaned into that crown.

I would install a new tire & ride it yourself & see what kind of wear YOU get. Maybe also place the bike on the center stand then point the wheels straight ahead, then place a common carpenters level on both the front & rear wheels (they should be real close to being the same in the vertical plane).

Twisty

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Twisty, Thanks so much for your assistance. Wasn't thinking about the crown in the road, and what you stated about people preferring left hand turns. Thanks again for the info!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

wingin family wrote:
Twisty, Thanks so much for your assistance. Wasn't thinking about the crown in the road, and what you stated about people preferring left hand turns. Thanks again for the info!!!!!
I bet we could send our left cupped front tires to all our friends accross the pond (you know... people divided by a common language) and then they could send their right cupped tyres to us...

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Your welcome, Wingin.

As far as slow speed with my Avons, I've experienced no bad effects what so ever. Now hang on, no need for flame suits here, but when I'm slowing down, the D-lops would cause a severe wobble to develop if I took my hands off the bars.(Yes, I do know that taking my hands off the bars is an invitation to trouble, but when I did it the first time, I was raising my hands in jubilation at having my new bike. boy did it scare the poop out of me). So, I wouldn't do that it anymore. This winter I put on my new Avons andadded a Superbrace. I delibrately tried to see if the Avons would develop thatnasty slow down wobble. To my great delight, not a bit of wobble started. BTW, I checked this by taking my hands just barely off the grips, maybe an inch away so that if things started getting ugly, I was right on top of it.

I also have a buddy that has a big Harley that has put the Xs on it and he loves them. No problems with that either. We both really enjoy thesolid feeling the Xs give us.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings.

Hobie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.